2021 Mill Creek Watershed Bull Elk Hunt

OP
Oregonbowguy
Not a super accurate job, but over 360". My taxidermist says it's bigger, but he didn't measure it either.
Certainly my biggest bull and very appreciative of the 3 young (33 year olds) that help pack it out.
Thank you.

OP
Oregonbowguy
Thank you. It was a 9 day hunt. I shot the bull at 10:45 a.m. Opening Day. It took 45 minutes to walk the 560 yards. The "Shed" is not for faint of heart (or folks that like beer!)

We skinned and quartered the bull on 67 degree slope. Paracord is a MUST!

By 3:00 p.m., fog rolled in and stayed nearly the full duration of the hunt.

We spotted the bull at sunrise from 1300 yards and decided from Nosler folks the bullet isn't going to perform as intended at that distance. To be certain, we could have shot that far, but when experts speak, I listen.

I have a NF NXS 12-42 on the .338 RUM Sendero. Seeing the vitals was not the issue.

As there were 19 other tag holders, we knew pressure was above this bull. We heard 6 shots, walked up and down canyons towards this bull. Hoping the 6 shots were not at "my bull".

Came over the top of a Ridge, there layer a 300"+ bull. Two lucky guys came up out of a he'll hole to retrieve that bull.

Confident that the bull we were after was still alive, one more brutal canyon. Came up on top, hit rangefinder, 560 yards. PERFECT!

Packed out bull next morning (allowed 3+ hunter to retrieve) one guy butchers beef and boned it out.

As I type this, elk backstrap with Applewood smoked bacon for dinner.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20211030_114937.jpg
    20211030_114937.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20220425_164157.jpg
    20220425_164157.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 166
OP
Oregonbowguy
I believe there were 2 additional bulls taken on Oregon side. One very nontypical (probably 390"+) and a bull around 370"...based on pictures I saw.

WRO

WKR
I believe there were 2 additional bulls taken on Oregon side. One very nontypical (probably 390"+) and a bull around 370"...based on pictures I saw.
That's the best year in the shed in a long time..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Oregonbowguy
In 2021, of the 25 WA tags and 20 OR tags, 5 bulls were taken....all on Oregon side.

Yes, this year was different. And I don't thing it is a improving "trend".

There was a great deal of human activity fighting the surrounding Wenaha fire. Helicopters, heavy equipment and planes. Plus our wonderful firefighters!

I suspect a great deal of crossover was taking place. The roads are only 20 yards wide.

I will add, the wolves were howling just before daybreak. Speaking with ODFW biologists, when the wolves showed up 5 years ago, it was a slaughter. The elk were not accustomed to pack hunters. Now, they feel elk have learned to "live" with wolves.

We did see bear scat everywhere and before season, spotted some big, big bruins.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! That’s an awesome bull. My intro to hunting was helping my buddy pack out his Watershed bull in 2019. The steepness is no joke, and if you aren’t on a steep slope you’re probably in a hellacious, brushy creek bottom.

But I still want to draw that tag something fierce…

OP
Oregonbowguy
Well, I put in for it again this year. I have a 2% chance. When you draw it, let me know. I have some suggestions that could increase your success.

Thank you.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Right on, thanks! Something I observed when my buddy was prepping for the Watershed was the strong community of the “club” of those who have been successful there. Which is pretty rad.

OP
Oregonbowguy
No sir...the success rate has been relatively low for years. Also, while you can hunt with gun, bow handgun, there are not different seasons and correspondingly more tags.

Walla Walla, Wenaha and Mt. Emily have archery season tags and also rifle season tags. With more tags being offered, they are perhaps more attractive options. These 3 units are also MUCH larger.

One of the 33 year olds that helped pack out my bull has enough to draw "the shed" this year. When we got to my truck with heavy packs, I offered each guy $100 for helping. All 3 refused the money...but they did have a special request "delete our numbers from your phone".

All these guys have killed bruins, bulls and bucks and have no desire to hunt the shed. I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Remember, no persons are permitted in the shed 356 days of the year! So all the guys running around during archery seasons in bordering units push elk into the shed.

You need to have a plan of approach!!