2021 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Chad E

WKR
This challenge is humbling and there are some incredible shooters on rokslide. It really puts perspective on how much only firing one arrow effects my results. If I was shooting a 3 arrow group like usual I would automatically adjust off my first arrow and then fool myself into saying things in my head like ya thats a pretty darn good group or something along those lines when in reality my first arrow is likely my farthest off my point of aim.
I'm looking forward to finishing up as I have some new arrows I want to build and test and I need to tweak my tune just a touch for broadheads so I'm really looking forward to shooting more than one arrow at a time but I've seen enough value in the flaws this challenge points out that my plan is to shoot 1 broadhead to start each practice session this summer somewhere near my MER and take the time to walk down and pull it before shooting other arrows and groups just to make sure I'm keeping myself honest.

If you have any questions or comments on the 2021 Cold Bow Challenge, please post them on this thread. This will keep that challenge thread clean and easy to follow. Thanks!

With the overwhelming response we’ve had, we have to limit the challenge to 200 shooters. Sorry, but it’s a ton of work to qualify the shooters.

The Challenge will start Saturday, April 17th AT 8:15 MTN TIME and run 4 weeks or 200 shooters, whatever we hit first.

Be sure and choose an MER that pushes you or you will be asked to restart the challenge or disqualified. Don't forget to define your vital size so we can see it on the target.

No more "I only got 20 yards in my backyard" posts. Lots of shooters travel to places they can shoot their MER. This challenge is exactly that, a challenge to make you a better hunter, so please put some effort into it.
I think a good tweak to the challenge would be to call out your yardage for each day given the conditions. This would be more realistic to hunting. When it’s calm and I’m on flat ground my range would be 60, if it’s 10 degrees and 25 mph wind I would say it’s like 30. Thanks for putting this on!

Fatcamp

WKR
Done. That draw and let down sequence really feels good. I was much calmer at the release. 60 yards under calm/ light wind is in my wheelhouse for sure. Huge improvement over the last year. Having really nice bucks outside my effective range and letting them walk had been quite the motivation. 😭

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Done. That draw and let down sequence really feels good. I was much calmer at the release. 60 yards under calm/ light wind is in my wheelhouse for sure. Huge improvement over the last year. Having really nice bucks outside my effective range and letting them walk had been quite the motivation. 😭
I honestly don’t think that’s a true cold shot though, just sayin, great routine though

Last shot is done! For the first time I had a moment of doubt creep in at full draw, but I shot that flighty bastard down and pulled clean through the release for a solid heart shot. I went 4/5 and it's definitely time to start pushing for a 30 yard MER.

I ain't in on the drawing and letting down to warm up. Doesn't exactly seem in the spirit of the challenge to me. I got drawn and shot, for better and mostly for worse.

TX_Diver

WKR
Managed 1/4 today myself. Calm wind makes all the difference.

Hoping for 2/5!😁

I finished 1/5! No pressure.

@robby denning am I good to go shoot more this afternoon or chase turkeys now that I have my 5th shot in? I'm definitely going to need to get closer than 50 on the turkeys!

I ain't in on the drawing and letting down to warm up. Doesn't exactly seem in the spirit of the challenge to me. I got drawn and shot, for better and mostly for worse.
I do it all the time while hunting. Just a couple draws first thing in the morning loosens my muscles for several hours afterwards, and I'll repeat the process as necessary. I'm not drawing on an animal and letting down, but I'm staying loose beforehand. Similarly, I am not drawing on target and letting down. I'm doing it a few minutes before I walk outside to take my shot.

I do it all the time while hunting. Just a couple draws first thing in the morning loosens my muscles for several hours afterwards, and I'll repeat the process as necessary. I'm not drawing on an animal and letting down, but I'm staying loose beforehand. Similarly, I am not drawing on target and letting down. I'm doing it a few minutes before I walk outside to take my shot.

I do it every so often while hunting.

But it's a fair amount of difference to do it a few times in the minutes before you shoot versus a few hours previous.

Also the just of what I was doing shooting from a stand you are dealing with cold muscles. Western hunting, moving around carrying your bow, your muscles are warmed up more.

I do it every so often while hunting.

But it's a fair amount of difference to do it a few times in the minutes before you shoot versus a few hours previous.

Also the just of what I was doing shooting from a stand you are dealing with cold muscles. Western hunting, moving around carrying your bow, your muscles are warmed up more.
I guess I need to test the actual decay of effectiveness. I've found it's very beneficial for me for at least several hours. Anyways, If it's not good enough for the spirit of this competition I'll happily reshoot with a 2-3 hour break after my warm up draws.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think a good tweak to the challenge would be to call out your yardage for each day given the conditions. This would be more realistic to hunting. When it’s calm and I’m on flat ground my range would be 60, if it’s 10 degrees and 25 mph wind I would say it’s like 30. Thanks for putting this on!

We thought about that, but since everybody out there is always thinking about maximum range, we decided to go that way. I understand what you mean about adjusting for conditions. But with this challenge we decided that it just would be to pass the shot if conditions weren’t good rather than walk up or walk back. Keeps it simple. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I need to test the actual decay of effectiveness. I've found it's very beneficial for me for at least several hours. Anyways, If it's not good enough for the spirit of this competition I'll happily reshoot with a 2-3 hour break after my warm up draws.

I don't think it matters. Pretty certain Robby was doing it too. Maybe not.

When I have my stick I frequently stump shoot while hunting, really I rarely go very long without shooting. Here in the east you can fire off a couple to check things before you go hunt in the evening.

I just felt like the spirit of the cold bow challenge was a cold shot. If you frequently are drawing your bow while you are hunting then that's the situation you are accustomed to. That's fine. I try and replicate hunting scenarios with my shots. Normally I use my pack and bino harness. Changed things up this year.

Everyone is free to do the challenge as they see fit, so long as they are following the rules laid out.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I understand what you mean, but We’ve always allowed people to let down. In fact if you listen to Aron on his podcast, he talks about that as a skill. People need to know when to let down rather than push the shot.

The idea with the challenge is to simulate hunting is that you often don’t get to shoot very much on a hunt. And when you finally get within range of an animal, it may have been a day or two or three since you’ve actually fired an arrow. However, you can draw your bow any time during the hunt, I’ve practiced that for years. Sometimes in the mornings before I leave camp, I’ll draw my bow anchor and hold and aim.

Thanks for coming out for the challenge. The long tree stand shot was great to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't care, and am bringing this up more than I mean to. But just went back and read the rules. The very first part is....

You shoot one arrow each day of the challenge with no warm up or follow up shots and no practice between days, hence the name, Cold Bow Challenge.

To me "warm up" would include drawing your bow a few times to "warm" your muscles up.

Again, I really don't care. Not trying to debate this.

Maybe I'll delete this in a bit.