2022 arrow/broadhead changes? Any lessons learned?

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
What arrow set-up including total weight and insert did you choose this year for elk? What broadhead? How many elk have you killed with that broadhead in the past? Just interested in everyone's 2022 choices trying to make my mind up. Hopefully people with animals on the ground and in field experience can answer.

Laramie

WKR
Please don't take offense but you might want to try the search function above. I'm just guessing but i believe there are 463 threads discussing what arrows and broadheads for elk.

I currently shoot a 425 grain arrow at 318FPS and use laser strike 2 expandables. 4 dead elk from this setup so far. I do not recommend expandable heads unless you are generating high KE like my setup.

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there are many threads about elk and broadheads but every year we all learn something new and change accordingly. Was hoping to get some updated 2022 season arrow and broadhead setups. To see what everyone has decided to go with. I'm also sick of recommendations from guys that never kill anything. Was hoping to get some experienced feedback. Not talking about you just in general lol.

Any elk I have lost has been due to shot placement. I can think of one that I feel the BH didn't penetrate as expected, and I thought my placement was good but again, shot placement trumps everything. I've killed them with all kinds of heads, but I really like heads like the NAP HellRazor and I've probably killed just as many with slick tricks. My recommendation is pick one that you can't miss with. A 425 grain arrow @ 300ish FPS second as stated above must be the cat's meow from a shooters perspective. No ranging needed at elk type ranges with that thing, just point and shoot.

No changes for me, 461 grain arrow, 240 FPS with a Hellrazor with all three tags this year.

Bump79

WKR
435 grains, 295 FPS, Element Storm arrows with Nexxus Ti components topped with OzCut 3b. Passed through my bull on a frontal. Zero reason to change anything.

Attachments

• 20210926_174525.jpg
    20210926_174525.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210927_123631.jpg
    20210927_123631.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 62

Laramie

WKR
Yes there are many threads about elk and broadheads but every year we all learn something new and change accordingly. Was hoping to get some updated 2022 season arrow and broadhead setups. To see what everyone has decided to go with. I'm also sick of recommendations from guys that never kill anything. Was hoping to get some experienced feedback. Not talking about you just in general lol.
I understand where you are coming from. Fun to discuss. The reality is after 38 years of bow hunting elk, one thing has held true. It really doesn't matter if you poke a hole through both lungs with any broadhead.... They go 50 to 100 yards and pile up. If you hit them bad, again it doesn't matter what broadhead... They run a long ways and are very difficult to recover. Don't let that stop your research. I still do it because confidence in your setup means a lot in the field.

HbDane

WKR
I was the type to switch bows along with arrows and broadheads every year. I still buy a new bow every year but only because I like to try new things. That being said when it comes to my arrow and broadhead setup, I take the ol cliche that my pops used to say to me every year. "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it." I've had the same arrow setup for a few years now and my wallet is very thankful for that.

I just found some screaming deals on 5 different types of arrows. I have 4 here at home so lots to work on and test. But that's just because I like the hobby of it.

If I didn't care about the hobby I would be fine with literally any arrow I've ever shot. I sorta prefer something heavy like a FMJ that comes in around 525grains for me, and I sorta prefer a fixed blade like a G5. But I would have no problem shooting a 420grain carbon GT Hunter for elk. At the end of the day I like what I like for the reasons I like, but I don't think it would kill an elk any better if I used a lighter carbon arrow. This is more about enjoying the hobby then being more effective at killing elk.

As long as the arrow and broadhead make sense the rest is just for fun (like a 400spine arrow, flying out of a 70# bow at 315fps with a 2" super wide broadhead and 30% FOC...maybe that would work, I don't know, but as long as your set up is within normal tolerances it's all fun).

nphunter

WKR
I'm going to stick with the G5 Dead Meat for 2022, I shot fixed heads for a long time and ended up switching to expandables a few years back due to lack of blood trails and being color blind. I shot Trypans for the first couple of years which performed excellent on game but I had several collars break while busting brush throughout the season which is annoying, I have had just as good of luck with the deadmeat on elk with zero issues with the blades coming loose.

CB4

WKR
Not decided yet but I have 3 options on the table. All will have grim reaper micro hades pro 125 grain on the front.

GT Pierce Platinum 300 spine - 475 total weight
BE X-Impact 250 spine (haven't built yet) - 485 anticipated weight
BE Rampage 250 spine - 525 total weight

I do have BE Rampage 300 spine and 405 total weight but that is too light for elk in my mind.

Dennis

WKR
This year I am again working to get perfect bare shaft arrow flight and increase my arrow weight 25 grains to 650-660 grain arrow. I will stay with the Grizzly Stik Maasai 200 grain broadhead and the Ethics post and sleeve system. Still testing with no final decision yet.

I have had some issues with light fast set ups (425 grains) and deflections in previous years and last year went down the heavy arrow high FOC road. I have over 50 years bowhunting experience and still learning and trying to improve. I agree with those in the perfect shot camp and that is always my goal, however that is not what always happens to me. Last years set up was 625 grain Siruis Orion 250 spine arrow with Ethics aluminum post and stainless steel sleeve and 200 grain Grizzly Stik Maasai broadhead at 23% FOC . Shot one elk quartering in at sharp angle walking at 8 yards and it all happened fast. Arrow hit just behind left front shoulder and exited out right hip and stuck in the ground beyond elk. My observation was the elk didn't seem to realize what had happened. He jumped at shot then walked off to about 50 yards and stood there until he fell over. My post shot thoughts are my bow and arrow seems quieter, broadhead was the sharpest I think have ever used and a full pass through all seemed to influence the elks reaction which was not alarmed. It was only one elk, so my journey continues. Good luck to all this fall.

Holocene

WKR
435 grains, 295 FPS, Element Storm arrows with Nexxus Ti components topped with OzCut 3b. Passed through my bull on a frontal. Zero reason to change anything.

You got a pass through on a frontal? Holy heck. I took a frontal shot on this year's bull, a 4x4 rosie, and the arrow went straight through the heart and buried to the fletching. The broadhead was 4" into the stomach at that point. Specs were = 462 grain arrow going 282 fps and elk shot at just under 30 yards.

Bump79

WKR
@Holocene It was very slight quartering at 23 yds. or so and exited just before the hind quarter. It was devastating, blood sprayed on impact and he died in minutes after only going 10 yards.

What head were you shooting?

Holocene

WKR
@Bump79 that's devastating all right.

I was shooting QAD Exodus, fresh blades. He fell down the hill about 12 yards out of sight and started moaning. Like your bull, this one must have died within 1-2 minutes as that's when the woods went quiet again.

Never taken a frontal shot, but was open to it this year since the shot presents itself a lot in calling scenarios here on the OR coast. Tight lanes and it seems these elk have a good instinct to protect their broadside vitals with brush and full trees.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 46

JoeDirt

WKR
Last year I bought some single bevel Iron Will broadheads. They were easy to sharpen so they're getting used again this year.

Bump79

WKR
@Bump79 that's devastating all right.

I was shooting QAD Exodus, fresh blades. He fell down the hill about 12 yards out of sight and started moaning. Like your bull, this one must have died within 1-2 minutes as that's when the woods went quiet again.

Never taken a frontal shot, but was open to it this year since the shot presents itself a lot in calling scenarios here on the OR coast. Tight lanes and it seems these elk have a good instinct to protect their broadside vitals with brush and full trees.
Looks like it did the trick! I like Exodus too. I just found I liked the OzCut 3b being easier to touch up and back sharpened. I bet my pass through was due to a smaller cut diameter.

Frontals are deadly. I personally think they are one of the most ethical shots. If you get in... it's dead if not it's likely non-lethal.

Dennis

WKR
For the second year going with Grizzly Stik Maasai Single Bevel 200 grain broadheads. One elk last year with pass through on quartering in shot. Last year arrow was 625 grains approx, and this year 709 grains and 22.9% FOC.

Fisher32

FNG
This year I am again working to get perfect bare shaft arrow flight and increase my arrow weight 25 grains to 650-660 grain arrow. I will stay with the Grizzly Stik Maasai 200 grain broadhead and the Ethics post and sleeve system. Still testing with no final decision yet.

I have had some issues with light fast set ups (425 grains) and deflections in previous years and last year went down the heavy arrow high FOC road. I have over 50 years bowhunting experience and still learning and trying to improve. I agree with those in the perfect shot camp and that is always my goal, however that is not what always happens to me. Last years set up was 625 grain Siruis Orion 250 spine arrow with Ethics aluminum post and stainless steel sleeve and 200 grain Grizzly Stik Maasai broadhead at 23% FOC . Shot one elk quartering in at sharp angle walking at 8 yards and it all happened fast. Arrow hit just behind left front shoulder and exited out right hip and stuck in the ground beyond elk. My observation was the elk didn't seem to realize what had happened. He jumped at shot then walked off to about 50 yards and stood there until he fell over. My post shot thoughts are my bow and arrow seems quieter, broadhead was the sharpest I think have ever used and a full pass through all seemed to influence the elks reaction which was not alarmed. It was only one elk, so my journey continues. Good luck to all this fall.
Grizzly stik is the way to go.