2022 Ford Lightning

I went a head and reserved one this morning. Ill make my final decision once you can actually build one and see what the final price tag is. It will do everything I use my current F-150 for except one very out of the way hunting trip. No one in their right mind would drive an expensive truck there anyways. Ill keep the old work truck around for that.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it's pretty exciting to see full power, full range pickups coming to market. I do wonder about range while towing, at least in the early models. I was thinking this morning - I wonder if someone will start making trailers with battery packs to boost the range of the vehicle towing it? I'm not an engineer, so there are probably some technical challenges to something like that. If they can get a full size truck to 250+ mile range while towing, this will really start to take off.

Reactions: 307
How many chips you think that thing takes?...there are 20K super duties parked at the KY speedway waiting on chips..most Ford factories will be shutting down 5-31 till mid July...I ordered my 250 in Feb...still not here...I will say at least mid 23 before you get it...but I am interested so see how does..if they ever make it.

OP
D
I think the biggest hesitation most outdoor enthusiasts have is overnights with no power source to charge. If they could come out with affordable generators, the size most of us already have for remote trailer camping that can safely charge these things, we could put our mind at ease.
This is the first, in my opinion, attempt at a real electric truck aimed at the typical truck owner, I see a lot of new advances in the next 10 years for sure.

big44a4

WKR
I’m out. I drive 200-300 miles a day for work. Not to mention being a slave to my utility company who are assholes anyways. Can’t make progress if don’t ever get started, but currently these won’t work for me.

This is neat and all and it's cool to see progress on stuff like this but I don't feel like the infrastructure is even close to ready for these in 99% of the country. Someday we will be ready and I get that power stations won't go in until the demand is there. And I know it's the direction we are going and I'm not nearly as resistant as most, but no way am I willing to handicap and frustrate myself until that time comes. I am also VERY shy about buying the first edition of anything produced. Usually like to wait until a few models come out and they can work kinks out.

I was watching a video last night and it was saying it charges three miles per hour on a standard charge at your house and 45 minutes to recharge at a station. Obviously, if one were to buy, they would put in an appropriate power source. But what if you're traveling? Going to grandmas and you can't leave for a day because she doesn't have the appropriate hookup? I typically only use my pickup from April to October and mostly for fishing and hunting where I'm usually traveling 200+ miles. So I would get to my destination, bring a generator and fuel with me, and basically run the generator for at least one full day just to drive home. Have they done any cold testing for extended weeks at below zero temps? This just doesn't seem to even show shades of practical for anyone outside a large city or living in cold climates. (I admittedly know NOTHING about electricity, outputs, etc.)

mwebs

WKR
I think the biggest hesitation most outdoor enthusiasts have is overnights with no power source to charge. If they could come out with affordable generators, the size most of us already have for remote trailer camping that can safely charge these things, we could put our mind at ease.
This is the first, in my opinion, attempt at a real electric truck aimed at the typical truck owner, I see a lot of new advances in the next 10 years for sure.

So a gas powered generator to charge your eco friendly electric truck... hahahahaha

WKR
Sounds pretty good to me. I'm hoping that my current vehicle is my last gas vehicle but it will take a while before I'm ready to completely make the switch. It seems likely to start in the cities and gradually work its way to more rural areas. Hopefully by the time it does, there are some advancements in battery and charging technology that make it more appealing in a place like Wyoming.

Finch

WKR
I know this is the future but I'm just not there yet. The "gasoline is evil" crowd are such hypocrites (not implying that about the OP- just saying). Just like renewable energy that many power companies are pledging to incorporate into their portfolios. The same people bitching about coal produced electricity will complain when their bills are 30% higher due to these renewable sources. Can't have it all.

OP
D
This is neat and all and it's cool to see progress on stuff like this but I don't feel like the infrastructure is even close to ready for these in 99% of the country. Someday we will be ready and I get that power stations won't go in until the demand is there. And I know it's the direction we are going and I'm not nearly as resistant as most, but no way am I willing to handicap and frustrate myself until that time comes. I am also VERY shy about buying the first edition of anything produced. Usually like to wait until a few models come out and they can work kinks out.

I was watching a video last night and it was saying it charges three miles per hour on a standard charge at your house and 45 minutes to recharge at a station. Obviously, if one were to buy, they would put in an appropriate power source. But what if you're traveling? Going to grandmas and you can't leave for a day because she doesn't have the appropriate hookup? I typically only use my pickup from April to October and mostly for fishing and hunting where I'm usually traveling 200+ miles. So I would get to my destination, bring a generator and fuel with me, and basically run the generator for at least one full day just to drive home. Have they done any cold testing for extended weeks at below zero temps? This just doesn't seem to even show shades of practical for anyone outside a large city or living in cold climates. (I admittedly know NOTHING about electricity, outputs, etc.)

If I lived in a rural area or Alaska for that matter, I wouldn't consider it.

dtrkyman

WKR
As stated until you can somehow charge it in the "backcountry" it is useless most times for a western hunting vehicle. Start climbing around steep mountain roads in the mud and tell me what the range is?

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Idk why everyone is worried about charging in the back country. Y’all finding a lot of gas stations at the top of mountains? Lol

Charging infrastructure will continue to develop. Fast charging will continue to get better. I think one of the biggest hurdles is battery density. We’ll see what happens with that in the coming years…

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
Idk why everyone is worried about charging in the back country. Y’all finding a lot of gas stations at the top of mountains? Lol

Charging infrastructure will continue to develop. Fast charging will continue to get batter. I think one of the biggest hurdles is battery density. We’ll see what happens with that in the coming years…
Most vehicles will get much more than 230-300 miles per tank of fuel. Also, its incredibly easy to throw an extra fuel can or two in the back, and it doesnt take overnight to fuel up again.

Thats why i would be worried about charging in the backcountry.

I could see this being handy for a contractor who stays pretty local (especially with its big inverter) but my gas truck has over twice the range, I can bring jugs for extra range, and I can fill it up in under 5 minutes.

Until the tech and infrastructure for electric match that, I’m keeping at least one gas vehicle around. But I’d like a decent affordable electric car for wife’s commute in a few years

amassi

WKR
We reserved one for my wife-
Our solar power makes excess power so no brainer to cut out a fuel bill on her daily driver
300 mile range is plenty for her and any trips we would use her truck for
Also 700 ft lbs of instant torque sounds fun for a grocery getter

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk