2023 NRL Hunter Match Schedule

Seeknelk

WKR
Ok I follow! Sounds like fun! Probably get an adrenaline dump especially the first stage or two!
I remember a timed gopher shoot on a 3d course. Shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. (This was a trad shoot)
Me n partner walking away..." Dude I'm all shakey! - " Me too"! 😂
Another question- so with the time limits and 8 shots, do you MOSTLY use rigs with 10-12 shot AICS mags or your handicapped, trying to reload?
Edit- I guess only if it fits under "factory" in the rules. Obviously a guy can use whatever for fun in Skills.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How does someone (a novice) get started in a comp like this? I’m close to the Arbuckle comp so I’ll definitely come check it out. Aside from that, no clue what step 1 would be?? Clubs?

-RadDad

I was just typing up an answer but @parshal is spot on and beat me to it. I'll be at that match and will be happy to help you with anything you need, including gear.

Here's a video showing one of the simple stages with four targets from one position.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What's with the power factor? My 6mmGT wouldn't work. I have a tikka 6.5 ctr but I don't think it would qualify for factory because I had the barrel cut shorter and threaded. Maybe an opportunity to buy another unless I can find a factory CTR barrel.
They are trying to keep people from shooting 6mm race guns and requiring more "traditional" big game calibers. I would like to see the rules updated to allow 6mm and .224 caliber in all divisions. For now you have to shoot skills division if you can't make power factor.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
In this example, Mike shoots a circle and a square. All the stages I've shot have been actual animal shaped targets.

Last edited:

Firestone

WKR
What's with the power factor? My 6mmGT wouldn't work. I have a tikka 6.5 ctr but I don't think it would qualify for factory because I had the barrel cut shorter and threaded. Maybe an opportunity to buy another unless I can find a factory CTR barrel.
You can still run the 6.5 ctr in one of the open divisions as well

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
How does someone (a novice) get started in a comp like this? I’m close to the Arbuckle comp so I’ll definitely come check it out. Aside from that, no clue what step 1 would be?? Clubs?

-RadDad
There is a local series, used to be Hunter 1 and now it is Hunter Games I do believe. It is a 1 day event, local clubs, and gives you the opportunity to try it out with no pressure at all. I shot one last month and learned a lot, as it was my first hunter match.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I was just typing up an answer but @parshal is spot on and beat me to it. I'll be at that match and will be happy to help you with anything you need, including gear.

Here's a video showing one of the simple stages with four targets from one position.

Great resource! Thanks for posting it. I’ll check it out.

-RadDad

I just registered for the Sooner State Safari in March.

I’ve shot a lot of 3-gun and USPSA, but not in the last 5 years. I signed up for the Skills division just to save some money and get a feel for it. I’ll be shooting a tikka in 6.5cm, I might pick up a bravo or a used XLR before the match, otherwise I’ll be doing a mag change.

Any WKR’s going to this match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
I just registered for the Sooner State Safari in March.

I’ve shot a lot of 3-gun and USPSA, but not in the last 5 years. I signed up for the Skills division just to save some money and get a feel for it. I’ll be shooting a tikka in 6.5cm, I might pick up a bravo or a used XLR before the match, otherwise I’ll be doing a mag change.

Any WKR’s going to this match?

I’ll look into this. Sounds like it would be fun.

Man you guys really have me thinking about the Indiana shoot I didn't see anything about the skills division I'd be interested in doing that just to learn more

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Man you guys really have me thinking about the Indiana shoot I didn't see anything about the skills division I'd be interested in doing that just to learn more

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
This link to the rules spells everything out fairly well.

Rules - NRL Hunter

5. Skills Division is for anyone that wishes to compete at a NRL HUNTER match purely for the experience. There will be a discounted match entrance fee. Skills Division hunters may use any rifle weight or caliber that they choose that does not exceed .30 caliber or 3275fps. Skills Division hunters do not need to meet the minimum Power Factor (PF) requirements. Skills Division hunters may be coached on the clock after they have had the opportunity to try the stage on their own. Skills Division hunters will not be competing for points or the opportunity for awards, or prizes.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do Blaser R8 meet the factory rifle requirements?
I don't believe they are listed in the rules I posted but you may want to contact them and ask since it's probably not listed only due to not being super popular in the US.

I decided it’s time to get more serious about positional shooting. Going to start running a lot more Kraft drills and shooting positions at distance.

Built this barricade/ prop this afternoon with some 2x4s that have been sitting around.
1ed5a42a681ca7050553467664e16d52.jpg

5199ff36efd9b1464747f25cfc8e87ad.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
Anyone planning on going to Iowa? If I can get my rifle to make power factor I’m coming.
I'm less than 30 minutes from the place it's held. I was hoping to give it a go this year but it falls on a family vacation. Never done it, maybe next year?