2023 What’s the Plan???

Idaho archery elk in early September assuming I don’t draw long shots in WY or UT.

Then ND duck in Oct and WI whitetail on weekends.

Dcronce

FNG
The sun is about to set for the last time in 2022. In just a week and a half Wyoming will start accepting applications for elk licenses. Idaho already has. I hear their computer system was overwhelmed. Other states like Montana don’t have application deadlines until April 1st. Lots of states have otc elk tags. Licenses obviously play a major role in deciding where you can hunt.

Are you an every year elk hunter? Once in a lifetime trip planned? Maybe you get out there every 3-5 years when you have the points to hunt your favorite spot.

I’ll be back in a Wyoming general elk license area. I’ll be with two partners. One has hunted from my camp 3 times and knows his way around very well. He’s killed two bulls there already. The other has elk hunting experience in Colorado and Idaho but has never hunted with me before. I’m excited to get him a bull. Any branch antlered bull will do.

I’m also going to burn my deer points this year in Wyoming. As long as point creep doesn’t bite me in the butt I’ll spend a full two weeks camped just below the top of some high country ridges. I’ll have a base camp but also gear to bivy out and really look over as much ground as possible. I’m excited for that one.

So let’s hear it…. what’s your plan man! Where when and with who? What’s your goal?

Best of luck in the draws to everyone. In the meantime have a Merry Christmas!View attachment 490404
I plan to accumulate points for awhile yet but also get an archery elk tag in a non-draw unit in Colorado to continue to gain experience.

Plans changed, drew a limited tag another state another species right over my Gen tag app in WY. Seriously thinking of pulling app.

CMF

WKR
June - Spring bear Idaho, Me-Archery, 15yo Daughter Rifle
September, CO, Me archery deer unless I draw arch. elk, wife muzzy elk, daughter muzzy, elk, deer, bear
Nov - NM, 10yo son rifle elk, then 13yo Son. youth muzzy deer
Dec. - maybe some MS whitetails
Jan - NM, 13yo son & daughter Barbary Sheep
Going to be a busy year.....

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Going to get that extra point with the hunting course.
Continue scouting and camping and traveling and hiking while I hope to get drawn for 2024

WBrim

WKR
Elk hunt is going to happen, but waiting on the draws to know where!

cktorix

FNG
Been to CO every year since 2016 OTC Archery, Put in for draw tag tag for first time this year, OTC as a bckup.

WBrim

WKR
Anxiously awaiting my UT result. That will be all the info for making the plan. More than one unsure thing tho. Chasing elk either way, but hoping for a specific LE tag that I am borderline on sufficient points.

My buddy and I should draw a WY general tag this year. Plan to hunt archery season in the middle week of September. Looking forward to it after taking last year off. Previously hunted every season since 2017.

nphunter

WKR
It will be a busy fall,

Myself,
ID archery elk
OR archery elk
OR archery antelope
OR muzzy deer
ID archery deer
Hopefully NV archery deer

17yr old;
OR archery elk
OR archery deer
OR archery antelope
OR rifle blacktail

14yr old;
OR archery elk (maybe rifle)
OR archery deer
OR rifle Antelope

Wife;
OR rifle deer

Hunting partner;
OIL archery elk

I will have all of Sept off, 2ish weeks in August, 2ish weeks in Oct and 1 week in Nov. and 1 week in Dec. Some hunts will be quicker than others for sure, 5 elk tags and 1 deer tag to fill in Sept, that will be a grind!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Should* draw a muzzy elk tag in Co, cheating on archery this year because of time constraints. then Deer 3rd rifle in Co, would love to grab a bear tag and take a sharp tooth off the landscape while I’m at it. Will probably help a buddy on a decent 4th rifle tag as well. Points in wyo, Az, and MT for a down the road hunt

FLATHEAD

WKR
Didnt draw SQUAT in NM, as usual.
On to Idaho.
If nothing there then it's local stuff again.
And fishing, lots of fishing.

Steelhead

FNG
Packing into the woods mid-September for my standard early rifle elk, slogging around, sleeping like crap, lots of whining, soaking it all in, hiking back to the truck a week or two later, either lighter or heavier...preferably the latter.
Put in for a mule deer draw for my daughter's last season as a Junior. Regardless I will put in as much time and energy into her hunt as I have to give.
I also put in for a controlled mule deer draw, I never get lucky on those though, so I plan to scour the country in October for those critters. Another chance at an elk in November if I do end up coming out light in September.
high mountain lakes, the trout within, the grouse we come across and more Idaho surf n' turf.

September
- Elk Colorado - List A either sex (first time doing OTC so I fully expect to be a hike (with a bow) more than a hunt but I will try my best and cover a lot of ground)

October
- Deer Minnesota

November
- Cow Elk Colorado - 3rd season - List B