2023 What’s the Plan???

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Moved across the border to ID in time to be a resident for this fall, got a cow tag back in WY with a long season. Still waiting on some pronghorn results that will decide if I’m chasing elk with a bow or not for the first time.

I am a glutton for punishment… and rather bullheaded I guess. I’ll be attempting CO otc again as I want my first elk to be 100% me embracing the suck of otc before there isn’t otc (unfortunately with my job I never know if I’ll get to hunt so trying for a draw tag has been a gamble). Maybe I’ll start playing the point game next year. The effort has been there the last three years as everyone seems to back out on going and it is always just me.

So, here is to one more year of me vs mtn… unless anyone else wants to go…

Oh, and hopefully I can go hunt with my old man for WT in Indiana as it could be his last year to do it at 73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
New Mexico elk, rifle hunt. Same unit as last year, so hopefully I’ve learned enough to not repeat my mistakes.

CRJR45

WKR
Guided New Mexico Elk hunt , followed by a OTC Colorado Elk hunt , my first time going unguided . Plan on truck camping and have a general idea where I plan to hunt , depending on the hunting pressure .

Hnthrdr

WKR
Here is a question for all the guys with multiple elk tags, if you kill a bull/ cow on your first tag, do you get picky on the second? Like letting smaller bulls walk? Or if it’s a cow tag, turn it in?

Here is a question for all the guys with multiple elk tags, if you kill a bull/ cow on your first tag, do you get picky on the second? Like letting smaller bulls walk? Or if it’s a cow tag, turn it in?
I will not be picky at all. It's been since 2018 since I killed an elk. Freezer is pretty bare right now.

Idaho archery elk is up first, then Washington rifle.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
LE draw on the biggest military base in the Commonwealth.

2 cow elk tags. Nothing but grassland and rolling hills. I think the Base Commander said there was 13 trees on the whole 1000 sq mile base. Herd of about 3000 head on there now.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Just the wife and I now, so one elk is more than plenty. I killed a cow last season on a B tag; I hunted the last week of the season, but it would have had to been a bruiser for me to even consider pulling the trigger. If I happened to kill a bull first and still had a cow tag, I’d most likely eat it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just the wife and I now, so one elk is more than plenty. I killed a cow last season on a B tag; I hunted the last week of the season, but it would have had to been a bruiser for me to even consider pulling the trigger. If I happened to kill a bull first and still had a cow tag, I’d most likely eat it.
Kind of the operate the same way, if I tag a bull during archery I get really picky with my muley buck tag. I get if folks have big families, just me the wife and little one so one bull and a buck/bear is plenty. I don’t hate guys for getting multiple tags just sometimes wonder the rational if they are punching 2-4 elk tags, plus deer, pronghorn, bear a year that’s a ton of meat

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
It's just my wife and I as well, but I have friends and family I like to share with.

crouth87

FNG
Struck out in all other states so far but did get lucky and draw a Utah Wasatch rifle elk tag

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
August: New Mexico archery antelope.
September: Wyoming archery elk
November: Kansas whitetail

I keep swearing that I’m not doing any more solo elk hunts, but here I go again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluto

WKR
Probably practice for 2024. No MT, AZ, ID, and burned WY last year. (Clearly.)

Looking to strike out in CO within a week, and that will wrap up 2023 hunting by June. So…fishing?

On the bright side, I bought a suppressor with my MT refund check. Which is nice.

Kryos73

FNG
Little late to the party haha! However, SD archery antelope (unsuccessful), NM archery mule deer as soon as I get home from this out of town work trip. That wraps my year. Not much luck in the draws in 23. Hopefully 24 will be more fruitful. Good luck to you all!