2024 ELK / Deer ? Wolf hunt unit 10 Idaho questions

Proto

FNG
New here and my first post. I will be doing a combo hunt this year Rifle Elk , Deer and Wolf hunt in Unit 10 this year. I will hunting with either a .30 cal and a .25 cal (bringing 2 rifles) . Looking at the terrain I am thinking shots are going to be either 50 yards or 700+. I am really interested in Deer and Wolf or Elk if it shows up and curious as to weather I should focus on Mule deer or Whitetails.

johnsd16

WKR
Per the Idaho harvest stats, 88% of the deer harvested were whitetails. The mule deer are probably pockety. If you want to shoot a mature buck, focusing on whitetail will give you better odds. I’ve not been in 10 much but it’s a lot like 7. Big, thick, steep country and remote.

Wrench

WKR
Do you like to hunt high country in the snow? If you don't LOVE that....mule deer are pretty much out. There's a few down lower....but most will be near the tippy top of the mountain.

Whitetail can be anywhere.

Wolves are pretty much an opportunistic hunt at best during the season.

If I were tagged up in unit 10, I'd be keeping my eyes on the elk.....that's where I run into wolves.

I realize this is unsolicited, but a word of advice from one who has tried and failed many times. Pick a species and bore down on hunting that one. If the opportunity comes up to turn an elk hunt into a deer or wolf hunt, so be it. But trying to hunt all species at once is often unprofitable.

In college a fella from Montana told me he only elk hunted. Said the only time he killed a deer was when they got in the way of elk hunting. Sure wish I would have understood what he meant many years before I did.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t think your unit is famous for its mule deer hunting and the season ends before the whitetail rut. As @insanelupus suggested, I would concentrate on elk and shoot any wolf or buck that interfered with that. I would probably go early in the season when some bulls could still be bugling.

BTW - there is road construction planned in that unit so you might want to check the status of that before you go, just to prevent lost hunting time.

This buck interfered with an elk hunt:

IMG_7179.jpeg

OP
P

Proto

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I am coming out from the east coast and all I have been seeing about the Lolo is no elk, lots of wolves, and very little of about the deer. Elevation seems pretty low to me as when I have hunted mule deer it was in Utah at 6k-9k feet. This looks like it top out around 6k-7k feet. Maybe will focus on Elk and if I see a deer or a wolf then change up the hunt for the day. We will be getting out on OCT 9th, and will be there a week.

OP
P

Proto

FNG
I don’t think your unit is famous for its mule deer hunting and the season ends before the whitetail rut. As @insanelupus suggested, I would concentrate on elk and shoot any wolf or buck that interfered with that. I would probably go early in the season when some bulls could still be bugling.

BTW - there is road construction planned in that unit so you might want to check the status of that before you go, just to prevent lost hunting time.

This buck interfered with an elk hunt:

View attachment 710193
That is a dandy! He looks to be well into the Rut.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Don’t forget to pick up reduced price tags for bear and mountain lion. Odds of running into a cat are low but you never know.