204 bullet for coyotes

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen good and bad with that bullet. It all depends on shot placement really. Running shots don’t end well as I’ve seen coyotes get split wide open from groin to chest with this bullet, but the frontal and broadside hits have been good if shot placement avoids hitting the spine or other major bones. I’ve had great success with the 35 gr berger just like almost everyone I’ve heard or read about who have tried it on coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
35 bergers have been my go to, 32gr vmaxs worked OK too.

OP
K

kodiak17

FNG
I have some of the 35gr bergers coming so will get a load worked up with those. What powder you pushing the Bergers with?

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
TAC is my personal favorite, but I’ve gotten great results with IMR 4064

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kodiak17

FNG
Dont have the TAC but do have the 4064, will give it a try. Thank you

OP
K

kodiak17

FNG
I am going to try loading a few. When I got the rifle I got some hornady superformance 40gr vmax ammo with it. I have a good load for the 39gr blitzkings and it shoots a ragged hole at 100 but then I decided to try the factory ammo listed above and my group went to over 3" so not sure if it is the factory load or if the gun is not stabilizing the 40 grainers. It is a savage model10 varmint barrel and I like it but not sure what the twist rate is.

OP
K

kodiak17

FNG
I shoot the 35 Berger in my 20 Practical.
I was contemplating getting one of the 20 practicals, does anyone still make brass for it or is it all forming? If forming what is the easiest way to do that? Thanks

I've had excellent results with TAC and RL10X with 39 gr Sierra Blitz Kings in a Cooper and a Remington with a PacNor barrel. Factory barrel on the Remington was junk and wouldn't shoot anything well.

I usually call coyotes while carrying a Kimber Montana .223 . I have killed a couple with the .204 with 39 gr SBK....not that great in my experience...too explosive, better suited to prairie dog control.

mcr-85

WKR
I was contemplating getting one of the 20 practicals, does anyone still make brass for it or is it all forming? If forming what is the easiest way to do that? Thanks
I form my brass by using a bushing die with the correct bushing to neck down .223 brass. I anneal first. I am unaware of any factory made brass for it.

mcseal2

WKR
I'll be the odd one, but I had to many splash hits on bone with the V max bullets. My 204 has a 1 in 10 twist and prefers the heavier bullets. I have shot dozens with the 45gr Hornady SP bullet in the factory ammo. I get 3429fps in my 22" barrel with these and between the lower velocity and tougher construction they have worked well. I get an exit but it's tiny. These bullets let me take shots at second coyotes as they run away I wouldn't trust a V max to get deep enough on. I know I can break bone and get deep with these.

I also had good luck with the 40gr Ballistic tip, but I had so many boxes of the 45gr load I never used them to much. They seemed a bit tougher than the V max but the sample size of coyotes taken with them was small.