22 ARC

djauofd

FNG
Reading through this thread here are a couple of thoughts. The 22 ARC like the 6 ARC is aimed at gas guns, with the exception that Hornady post 22 ARC gas gun and seperatly bolt gun load data so they are definitely thinking of boot gun market as well. in particular PRS, where the 224 Grendel has been used successfully for years by some competitors.

The 6 ARC as well immediately crossed over the bolt gun PRS as well and Hornady saw this and has now incorrprated this into their marketing. The 6 ARC has slightly less case capacity than a 6mm Grendel. They pushed the shoulder back .003 " I don’t know why. Maybe to avoid possible legal issues for David Tubbs 6mm AR. PRS matches have become a rush down the hole the develop an accurate long range cartridge that has an absolutely minimal recoil. Thus way you can spot misses to adjust for windage between you and target.

The feeling is thus is exactly what the 22 ARC will excel at. So they are laying the ground work for it in marketing and production and data for reloading. So while gas gun application are more in line with varmit control and having a very capable long range rifle inan AR15 platform, bolt gun application is aimed at inte4mediate to long range competition class rifles.

I have a 24" bull 264 LBC AR, and it can be very competive with 130 grain bullets at relatively low velocities. But in competition where small vertical dispersion make a huge difference, higher velocities with less vertical corrections is preferable. While the 264 LBC is a great rifle, if I were competing in gas or bolt guns higher velocities with comparable BC bullets with less recoil is and advantage. So it is a race to the bottom to find flattest shooting, lowest recoil, with the highest kinetic energy on target, so you can spot misses.

Hunting rifles use a 40 rounds or so a season , varmit rifle maybe 200 to 300 rounds a season, competition rifles use 200 plus rounds a week. As a manufacturer who do you want to support?

So I am seriously considerring another buil. Either a 22 ARC 24" gas upper with a plus 2 gas block, so I can switch between 6.5 Grendel and 22 ARC. with the 6.5 for hunting and the 22 ARC ARC for varmint or target shooting. If I go bolt gun, there are other considerations, as I have a precision Defiance Deviant Tacticl short action with a .473 bolt face, in a KRG XRAY chasis. This is allready set up with 260 Rem and 308 win, ( Reamage Barrels). It akes me 20 minutes to change barrels.

n this case I am thinking 26" 22 BRA clambering , otherwise I need a new bolt face for PPC .447 cartridge if I were to go 22 ARC. I went to the point of contacting Defiance to see if they could supply an extra bolt with a PPC bolt face. Unfortunately, they do not make it for the Deviant Tactical, but they do make them for their other actions, Ruckus, anTi, anti X, and Renegade models. So that would mean a complete new rifle, with an action , $1,750 plus a trigger $300, plus a barrel $450, plus a chasis $600 minimal. So $3,000 . The brass will be a little more than 22 ARC, but either way I am reloading so dies and such are a given.

So for this reason i'm leaning 22 BRA. $450 for a barrel and I'm good to go. I already have a lot of different powders and components. I should get longer brass life from the BRA.

Same thing with gas gun, I'll need a complete upper, with hangars etc, I have an extra BCG but it's a 264 lbc bolt ( 1.25 deep 7.62 x39) so I'll need a Grendle .136 bolt, So all in upper and bolt with a decent barrel probably $600.

I like the Reamge barrel concept because changing barrels is as easy as 1,2,3. You invest in a chasis and action and your good to go. Same thing with AR, you invest in a nice stock , trigger and scope and the just slap on a upper when you want to change. Doing this takes up a lot less room in the gun safe, and save tons of cash. BTW and I am only capable of using one rifle at a time.

B23

WKR
Maybe this was already pointed out but I read an article that said the OAL of the 22 ARC case was 1.525 which is 35 thou longer then Hornady's 6 ARC case so the 22 ARC should have a little more case capacity then the 6mm version. I think they do this so you can't chamber a smaller caliber cartridge of the same family in a larger caliber version.

Sounds like the 6 ARC is somewhere around 34.5gr H2O case capacity so it's feasible that the 22 ARC could be somewhere around 36gr H2O.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this was already pointed out but I read an article that said the OAL of the 22 ARC case was 1.525 which is 35 thou longer then Hornady's 6 ARC case so the 22 ARC should have a little more case capacity then the 6mm version. I think they do this so you can't chamber a smaller caliber cartridge of the same family in a larger caliber version.

Sounds like the 6 ARC is somewhere around 34.5gr H2O case capacity so it's feasible that the 22 ARC could be somewhere around 36gr H2O.

35 gr. It’s the same length as the 6.5 Grendel, and essentially identical to the 224 Grendel.

Macht

FNG
The 6 ARC is shorter than the Grendel because the case was originally designed to shoot one specific bullet (106 A-Tip, not commercially available) at AR mag length and they didn't want it to sit too far down in the neck.

Stumpy208

FNG
I don't know if this was said or not yet (it's been awhile since I read this thread).
I emailed Howa about their mini action and they said they're discussing having a 22 ARC model but no set date yet. For everyone else that is interested in this for a bolt gun.

ElPollo

WKR
I don't know if this was said or not yet (it's been awhile since I read this thread).
I emailed Howa about their mini action and they said they're discussing having a 22 ARC model but no set date yet. For everyone else that is interested in this for a bolt gun.
That would be an interesting little critter, especially in one of Stocky’s VG stocks or a scaled-down RokStok… If they can get it to feed well.

Stumpy208

FNG
That would be an interesting little critter, especially in one of Stocky’s VG stocks or a scaled-down RokStok… If they can get it to feed well.
That's what I was planning on doing with it. I've been contemplating getting a donor action to build one, but I might wait until they release it in 22 ARC since they haven't said the RokStok will be for a mini action yet.

Tahoe1305

WKR
That's what I was planning on doing with it. I've been contemplating getting a donor action to build one, but I might wait until they release it in 22 ARC since they haven't said the RokStok will be for a mini action yet.
Anyone built one yet?

Want to see if they are even close to advertised speeds. 3300 @62g or 3000@75g.

I’m interested if validated.

Anyone built one yet?

Want to see if they are even close to advertised speeds. 3300 @62g or 3000@75g.

I’m interested if validated.
From experience with a 22grendel you will get 3300 from a 62 grain obviously depending on barrel, but I ran multiple 22 grendel barrels with 64 tgk and 69 tmk and you will have no issue running a 62 at or over 3300

parshal

WKR
I just built a 22 ARC in a gas gun with a 20" barrel. Factory 88 ELD-M's are 2735 fps.

This is my first foray into gas guns and I only finished it last week. I'd hoped to just use factory 88 ammo but groups are larger than an inch so I may have to reload. I have all the parts for a buddy who's building an identical gun so I'll see if that one shoots factory better.

id_jon

WKR
I just built a 22 ARC in a gas gun with a 20" barrel. Factory 88 ELD-M's are 2735 fps.

This is my first foray into gas guns and I only finished it last week. I'd hoped to just use factory 88 ammo but groups are larger than an inch so I may have to reload. I have all the parts for a buddy who's building an identical gun so I'll see if that one shoots factory better.
Dang, I wasn't tempted before, but 88s at 2735 from a gasser make it tempting for sure.

So, has anybody reloaded for 22ARC yet? I just got a shipping notification on my barrel, so I’m trying to get some starting loads getting it going

parshal

WKR
I’ve used Varget, Leverevolution and 4350 with 62 and 88 ELD.

29.2 Varget with 62 is very accurate. 4350 had fantastic ES with the 88. Case was filled to the top.

Lever had better velocities but sucked for accuracy.

All shot in AR 20”.