22 Creedmore vs 22-250

That’s basically what I’m saying, depending on the barrel they can choose to go either heavy bullets fast-twist longer free bore, or light bullets slow-twist shorter free bore. I’ve heard the other creedmoor calibers don’t do well with light bullets and big jumps to the lands so I’m curious if the 22 creed is able to pull double duty. This is all in regards to the original quote of the 22-250 fading away because of the creed.

I have a 22-250 that’s getting close to shot out, so I’m looking into either rebarreling to the Creed or just getting another barreled action in 22-250. Both are about the same price and I’m leaning towards the rebarrel even if my supply of 40-55gr bullets collects dust for a decade till there’s a use for them.

Those are really good questions on what the .22CM would do with really light bullets - I'd like to learn more about that too.

Or I could spend a fortune on factory ammo for the brass, since there is no factory ammo available with anything heavier than 62grs do I really need to worry about the 8 twist barrel tearing up something like a 55gr v-max or would it be better to just pull them for the brass?

Or I could spend a fortune on factory ammo for the brass, since there is no factory ammo available with anything heavier than 62grs do I really need to worry about the 8 twist barrel tearing up something like a 55gr v-max?
dude the brass offerings SUCK for the 250. I was so pumped when I found the 8twist tikka but let down when I couldn’t find brass. I bought a couple hundred of the hornady 50 grain vmax ammo and nosler ammo. Planned on using that but Gunwerks of all places was selling Lapua brass for dirt cheap. I only bought 200 pieces and then made a post on here letting the people know. They were sold out by the next day. Still kick myself for not buying more and giving out my brass honey hole haha.

Castmaster, in case you head doesn't already hurt enough let me throw another log on the fire and give you even more to ponder.

Have you given any thought to going with a Tikka 243 Win? You could shoot it as is or have the factory barrel rechambered to 6mm Creedmoor. Lots of top notch brass options available and it's easy to get for the 6 Creed not to mention the bullet selection for 24 cals is pretty extensive too. Just a little more for you to think about.

My current load is a 53grain vmax with Lapua brass, win primer, and 34grains of Varget (just on the edge of pressure).

I’ve shot 50 gr vmax’s with superformance and was only getting in the high 3500’s if I remember correctly. I’ve also shot the 50 grain noslers with it too and they weren’t any faster.

I recently shot 62 grain Eld-vts with Varget and was only getting them to 3350fps.

Reloader 15 wasn’t much faster so I loaded up on Varget and called it good. The 53vmax has done everything I’ve asked it to do though so I won’t shy away for predators. I’m not mad at the speeds but it’s definitely not as fast as a lot of other guys 22-250’s.

I’m going to kill a deer or elk with the 77 tmk this year and will probably try staball 6.5 first.
Interesting. That does seem rather slow. How many rounds down the pipe? Maybe it will speed up?

Anyways, it will still make a great 77 TMK..or maybe a 69 TMK rifle.

Castmaster, in case you head doesn't already hurt enough let me throw another log on the fire and give you even more to ponder.

Have you given any thought to going with a Tikka 243 Win? You could shoot it as is or have the factory barrel rechambered to 6mm Creedmoor. Lots of top notch brass options available and it's easy to get for the 6 Creed not to mention the bullet selection for 24 cals is pretty extensive too. Just a little more for you to think about.
Just too many good options 😂… If there is at least one thing I have made my mind up about though it’s that I’m definitely going with some sort of 22cal so I can see what this 77gr tmk rave is all about 🤣.

Interesting. That does seem rather slow. How many rounds down the pipe? Maybe it will speed up?

Anyways, it will still make a great 77 TMK..or maybe a 69 TMK rifle.
About 450-500 so far so I’ve accepted the speeds. It’s my first tikka and I really have no complaints. I’ve killed a coyote with it at 683 yards.

And to add even more to the debate between fast or slow twist Hornady has their new 62gr ELD-VT that needs an 8tw. What what!! :)

The O'Neill Ops boys have been using these new 62gr ELD-VT's in 22-250's and they seem to be pretty happy with how well they're hammering coyotes with them. For a bullet that only weighs 62gr they are longggggg.
I'm running the 62gr eldvt in my 18" 22cm 1-8, 42 grains of varget at 3659fps. It's devastating on animals to say the least

Since id say most agree that it’s very hard to beat factory Tikka barrel accuracy what I think I’m going to do is just run the factory 8 twist 22-250 barrel until I shoot it out or get tired of it then rebarrel to 22 creedmore. I think it’s going to be very hard to beat unless I did a custom chambered barrel rather than something like a Preferred pre fit (which is what I planned on doing in 22 creedmore) or a rechamber job on the factory barrel.

Also since Lapua stopped making 22-250 brass what is the best brass option atm?

The Tikka 1-8” 22-250 rechmbered to 22CM is the way.

Those are really good questions on what the .22CM would do with really light bullets - I'd like to learn more about that too.

The same is does with heavy bullets. 1-8” 22-250’s and 22cm’s don’t have issues with most lighter weight varmint bullets. I’m sure there is some obscure 35gr projectile that will come apart in flight, but the normal 50-60gr varmint bullets work just fine.

About 450-500 so far so I’ve accepted the speeds. It’s my first tikka and I really have no complaints. I’ve killed a coyote with it at 683 yards.
Well darn. At least you like the rifle. Hard to hate a Tikka! I have the other problem of having the brass but not the rifle. I’m interested in the same thing you have at the moment as 22 cm is anemic on factory options.

I'm running the 62gr eldvt in my 18" 22cm 1-8, 42 grains of varget at 3659fps. It's devastating on animals to say the least
Same here, tikka 18” 22CM 1-8 41.5gr varget at 3625fps.

Also run a 16” tikka 243win 1-10 55bt at 3625fps

A factory 22-250 would be fine to, just 150fps slower.

More factory ammo for 22-250. 22 cm if you reload.

I like the 22-250. The 22-250 is a tried and true coyote round. For me I like light and fast bullets for coyotes. A lot of guys shoot heavy bullets in the 22 cm. Which is fine but if I want heavy just shoot a 6 mm.

The same is does with heavy bullets. 1-8” 22-250’s and 22cm’s don’t have issues with most lighter weight varmint bullets. I’m sure there is some obscure 35gr projectile that will come apart in flight, but the normal 50-60gr varmint bullets work just fine.

Given this, and a couple of points you made the other day about using lighter weight TTSXs in a slow-twist .22cal but that heavier will have accuracy issues...would that be a good, general rule of thumb - that fast twist can shoot lighter bullets more or less okay, within reason, but that slow twist don't do well with heavier?

Given this, and a couple of points you made the other day about using lighter weight TTSXs in a slow-twist .22cal but that heavier will have accuracy issues...would that be a good, general rule of thumb - that fast twist can shoot lighter bullets more or less okay, within reason, but that slow twist don't do well with heavier?

Yes. Fast twist has zero issues with precision and light bullets as long as they make it to the target- which is greatly exaggerated to begin with; but a slow twist doesn’t work at all with long high BC bullets.

More factory ammo for 22-250. 22 cm if you reload.

I like the 22-250. The 22-250 is a tried and true coyote round. For me I like light and fast bullets for coyotes. A lot of guys shoot heavy bullets in the 22 cm. Which is fine but if I want heavy just shoot a 6 mm.
Nailed it! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Yes. Fast twist has zero issues with precision and light bullets as long as they make it to the target- which is greatly exaggerated to begin with; but a slow twist doesn’t work at all with long high BC bullets.
This has been my experience with my 1:7 Daniel Defense 18” barrel AR. It shoots 55 grn Blitzkings as well as 77 SMKs.

Anyone tried the 62gr ELD-VT’s on antelope or deer sized game yet? I bet it would be a devastating pronghorn and deer round with careful shot placement.

Back