.223 bullet options for smaller predators

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I am on a mission to get a coyote. Over the years I have missed them with my traps, bow, rifle, and truck. They are my white whale.

Typically when I predator hunt I use a small predator call and a red light taped to the end of my shotgun. That set up works fine for fox but I have bigger goals now.

I have a .223 bolt action with a scope. I ordered a saddle clamp for my tripod. I have two red lights. The one I have mounted above the scope and the other I plan to use to scan. These are the red lights I you can adjust the beam. I ordered a new primos electronic caller with a remote.

I talked this over with my buddy who does this alot more than me. He said that a .223 will destroy a fox or bobcat. It is very likely where I hunt I will have an opportunity at a smaller predator. Then we discussed bullet options and how a FMJ might be better to use because it won't expand and destroy the smaller animals.

My question is if I use FMJ bullets will it not destroy the smaller predators? Anyone use FMJs predator hunting? Is there better bullet options for smaller predators?

Dirtbag

WKR
Do not use FMJ's. There isn't any consistency in their terminal performance in my experience, If you hit bone they create a giant mess and if you don't they zip right through without creating the damage you need.

The best bullet I have found has been the 53 grain Sierra Matchking. Foxes are going to be hit or miss in regards to fur friendlyness with really just about any centerfire cartridge aside from stuff like the 17 hornet or fireball. Bobcats I have had decent luck with the matchking. It is great on coyotes as well.

Hope this helps.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I second no FMJ’s spire point, hollow points or tipped will offer much better terminal performance on varmits, several coyotes I have shot with FMJ’s and they will run a long long ways before they tip over, lost a few that way

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Do not use FMJ's. There isn't any consistency in their terminal performance in my experience, If you hit bone they create a giant mess and if you don't they zip right through without creating the damage you need.

The best bullet I have found has been the 53 grain Sierra Matchking. Foxes are going to be hit or miss in regards to fur friendlyness with really just about any centerfire cartridge aside from stuff like the 17 hornet or fireball. Bobcats I have had decent luck with the matchking. It is great on coyotes as well.

Hope this helps.
I do not have the capabilities right now to load my own 20 cal (maybe next year)

Any suggestions on factory loads?

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
the 52 grainers work well too. they werent as consistently fur friendly as the 53 grainers though. If you dont reload you may want to try these.

Boom! Guna try them!
Have a hunting question. When I am calling for coyotes in field. Do I need to set up on the edge with cover? of can I sit in the middle?

Foxes don't care but would a coyote come to 100yards?