History of the Wyoming Range Mule Deer (Article)

Hey all! Figured you might like to get the deep dive from my coworker and biologist, ol Sammy Lockwood on the history of the Wyoming Range mule deer populations.

His dad was the local biologist from '89-2012, so Sam was able to dig up his old reports and piece together a pretty interesting story here. Anyway, enjoy!

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good article by Mr. Lockwood and thanks for posting Jaden.

Fawn recruitment is critical for the growth of a herd.

Last edited:

HOT ROD

WKR
Great history for sure... I wonder how long it will be before the WG&F will allow people to hunt region G & H mule deer on there winter range? And maybe who and what organizations are supporting the late season rut hunts in Wyoming... Maybe Jaden can tell Us where he stands as far as these late season hunts and maybe he can tell us where the Wyoming Wildlife Federation stands on culling mature mule deer on the winter range due to CWD..

OP
Jaden Bales
Great history for sure... I wonder how long it will be before the WG&F will allow people to hunt region G & H mule deer on there winter range? And maybe who and what organizations are supporting the late season rut hunts in Wyoming... Maybe Jaden can tell Us where he stands as far as these late season hunts and maybe he can tell us where the Wyoming Wildlife Federation stands on culling mature mule deer on the winter range due to CWD..
I can tell ya that the Federation had a representative who was on the CWD working group, along with Muley Fanatics, RMEF, WYOGA, TRCP, and BOW, that created the CWD MGMT Plan. The G&F Dept. adopted the plan back in 2020. WWF supports that plan and within that plan is a section that requires “broad and diverse public support” - or something to that effect - in order to pass those late hunts.

Two things on G & H - they have very few CWD positives and a pile of tests that have been done. The herds are not close to thresholds for implementing CWD mgmt hunts from a scientific perspective within the plan. More importantly, I think SW Wyomingites would call for an all-out rebellion if more winter range hunts (other than the current unit 130 late-season tags) were proposed in the near future.

Edit: just realized are 2 late-season winter range deer hunts that impact Region H. That 141 tag goes until Oct 31 and has 80 licenses on top of the 15 licenses (+ Comm Tags) in hunt area 130.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Sam is a great guy, knew his Dad as well.
His Dad was a huge help with my last moose hunt near Kimmerer.
Looks like Sam is doing good things since moving on from Sybille.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
Jaden Bales
Sam is a great guy, knew his Dad as well.
His Dad was a huge help with my last moose hunt near Kimmerer.
Looks like Sam is doing good things since moving on from Sybille.
Thanks for sharing.
I just wish I would have had the chance to meet ol Ron! Folks say he was an even bigger personality than Sam and Sammy is just one of my favorite dudes to exchange lies with.

Regarding his work, man, he's got some sweet habitat projects planned. We're looking at installing 60+ beaver dam analogs down in the Little Mountain Area, some cheatgrass spraying, springs exclosures, and fence work near Baggs.

wytx

WKR
Ron was a character for sure.
Tell Sam to stop in at the Library and say hi if he gets into Laramie for a beer.

I’ll just say it… hunting obviously plays a role just like vehicle collisions. Eliminating or minimizing antlerless deer hunting, just like used with cow elk management, is the way to go. But so is the management of resident hunting. Think about it…. A non resident Hunter waits eight or nine years to be able to hunt region G. When he does finally draw a tag many are only able to hunt for one week. And regardless of how long they hunt since they waited that long many are specifically targeting only top in bucks. They are trophy hunters. For that reason many go home with unpunched tags. On the opposite end of the spectrum resident hunters get OTC licenses in that area. They are able to hunt the entire season. And since there’s always next year to bag the buck of a lifetime they often settle for lesser dear. Add all of that up and it’s pretty clear that resident hunters are by far the major factor when it comes to hunter harvest. Manage that and you will manage the herd.

Maybe it’s time for a Non Resident Task Force! After all we pay the bills too! I don’t think Gary Fralich is too thrilled with the goals of the Wy Task Force. Just saying…..

Last edited:
OP
Jaden Bales
I’ll just say it… hunting obviously plays a role just like vehicle collisions. Eliminating or minimizing antlerless deer hunting, just like used with cow elk management, is the way to go. But so is the management of resident hunting. Think about it…. A non resident Hunter waits eight or nine years to be able to hunt region G. When he does finally draw a tag many are only able to hunt for one week. And regardless of how long they hunt since they waited that long many are specifically targeting only top in bucks. They are trophy hunters. For that reason many go home with unpunched tags. On the opposite end of the spectrum resident hunters get OTC licenses in that area. They are able to hunt the entire season. And since there’s always next year to bag the buck of a lifetime they often settle for lesser dear. Add all of that up and it’s pretty clear that resident hunters are by far the major factor when it comes to hunter harvest. Manage that and you will manage the herd.

Maybe it’s time for a Non Resident Task Force! After all we pay the bills too! I don’t think Gary Fralich is too thrilled with the goals of the Wy Task Force. Just saying…..
I'm not so sure the harvest data shows that. NR are, on the average, more successful than Residents in Wyoming. For the Wyoming Range, they're 10% more effective.

Now - disregard the attached screenshot if you do not think their sample size of harvest reporting is large enough - but if you do, here's what they expected for Wyoming Range harvest and total numbers. It's less than half the hunters on the landscape compared to the early 90's when the population was so high.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.25.52 AM.png

I'm not so sure the harvest data shows that. NR are, on the average, more successful than Residents in Wyoming. For the Wyoming Range, they're 10% more effective.

Now - disregard the attached screenshot if you do not think their sample size of harvest reporting is large enough - but if you do, here's what they expected for Wyoming Range harvest and total numbers. It's less than half the hunters on the landscape compared to the early 90's when the population was so high.

View attachment 403236
I don’t completely understand the chart. But even if the percentage is higher for non resident hunters, probably due to the fact that a large number are outfitted, don’t you agree that the overall number of deer harvested is higher for resident hunters due to the sheer numbers? Also my guess is that a higher percentage of deer killed by non resident hunters is reported than those from residents. Mind you there is no game check during September deer season.

HOT ROD

WKR
I don’t completely understand the chart. But even if the percentage is higher for non resident hunters, probably due to the fact that a large number are outfitted, don’t you agree that the overall number of deer harvested is higher for resident hunters due to the sheer numbers? Also my guess is that a higher percentage of deer killed by non resident hunters is reported than those from residents. Mind you there is no game check during September deer season.
I think Pennsylvania should implement pick Ur area to hunt no more state wide general licenses where residents can hunt where ever they want... And I think they need to start making residents bye small game stamp spring and fall turkey stamps.. I would like to see is every nonresident get a doe licenses since we pay double the price of a nonresident and we would be first inline for bonus tags to just because we are intitled to them to.. I also hope they leave the nonresidents tags and prices alone since when we do go home its generally only for a week and we all ready pay to much as it is.... What U think Indian Summer do I sound like a entitled nonresident who wants to tell Pennsylvania what they can do for me even though I havent lived there in 7 plus years.. What gives me the right to ask Pa for anything... What gives U the right to ask Wyoming for any thing? Thake Ur gen elk tag every year while U can before Wyoming makes point sharing illegal... And let the Wyoming residents worry about Wyoming............