.243 For Coyotes

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What bullets have you guys tried in your .243 or similar for coyotes? I'm thinking about working up a load with the 55 grain Noslers which should be around 3800-4000 fps.

Feare

FNG
Following, I can't find anything under 90gr currently for sale, purchased some 55g hornady off here couple weeks ago that are rated 3900+ and they grouped real nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85gr Sierra gameking

If they still made them my gun really liked a 75 gr Hornady hollow point. But it’s been discontinued. Not sure I’d go to the 55s as mentioned as wind would concern me.

Feare

FNG
85gr Sierra gameking

If they still made them my gun really liked a 75 gr Hornady hollow point. But it’s been discontinued. Not sure I’d go to the 55s as mentioned as wind would concern me.

I just shot mine at 100 so no experience at long distances. I did however enter in ballistics calc the 55gr hornady load at 3900 and compared it to my 105gr hornady at 2900 with a 10mph cross wind and both were at 7.6" of drift. No idea if that's accurate but that's what it's telling me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
85gr Sierra gameking

Velocity inside 400 is gonna make wind less of an issue. You gain point blank zero that is a good for quick shots.

I run 55gr varmageddons in mine and in my 6x6.8spc.. pretty deadly on coyotes. Farthers shotni have is 285 sighted in at 200 makes it pretty much point blank hold out to about as far as I'm comfortable on my sitting higth bipod.. I also ran 70gr NBTs for a while also with great results just a alot larger exits holes.20201231_164747.jpg

Last edited:

Feare

FNG
I just shot mine at 100 so no experience at long distances. I did however enter in ballistics calc the 55gr hornady load at 3900 and compared it to my 105gr hornady at 2900 with a 10mph cross wind and both were at 7.6" of drift. No idea if that's accurate but that's what it's telling me.

^^ was at 300 yards^^ should have noted that in my original post

There's all sorts of options after looking more at it today, just limited on what kind of lead and powder you can find.

What kind of powder you have available?

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
62gr Barnes varmint grenade for me. Ive got a little bettet accuracy with some bergers, but if you want to save pelts the grenades are awesome. Theyre a powdered copper and I believe brass core, with a copper jacket holding it together. I dont get a lot of exit wounds with em. Not sure how to put it up here, but Barnes has slow-mo of the .243 completely expanding in a grape! Never broke the 500 yard mark, but shot a few yoted over 400. Does the job

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady 95 sst... I know it’s not a varmint bullet but it’s the best grouping so I just roll with it

Feare

FNG
Hornady 95 sst... I know it’s not a varmint bullet but it’s the best grouping so I just roll with it

I bought some hornady 90 gtx this week, you got a magic formula you'd share?

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some hornady 90 gtx this week, you got a magic formula you'd share?

Hornady superformance lol I’d like to get into the reloading game but I can’t find a setup in my price range at the moment

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
95 grain Berger classic hunter. Shoots excellent.

That's what my son has used for quite a few deer and his Tikka shoots them very well at 3100 fps. I am just thinking I would like to go with a lighter, faster bullet for less exit and longer point-blank range.

For the guys shooting the Varmagedon or varmint grenade type bullets. Have you had any issues with them getting enough penetration?

I use 70 gr nosler bt and 58 gr vmax out of my 243 AI. The 70s shoot great and definitely kill coyotes dead. They can be very hard on fur. If I’m looking at keeping further I run the 58s slow. So far it has worked well. The 58s also shot great out of the regular 243 before I put the new barrel on. I’ve also used 90 gr accubond, 95 BT, 70 gr tnt and they all killed them.

go_deep

WKR
I've just been using a 70 grain ballistic tip. Doesn't seem to pass through at all saving the hide of its worth a dang.

The Dude

FNG
That's what my son has used for quite a few deer and his Tikka shoots them very well at 3100 fps. I am just thinking I would like to go with a lighter, faster bullet for less exit and longer point-blank range.

For the guys shooting the Varmagedon or varmint grenade type bullets. Have you had any issues with them getting enough penetration?
How did they work for deer? All I have shot with them is coyotes.

I haven't had any issues. I shot one the other day at 275 with a 55gr varmageddon and it was a full broadside pass through.. up close its normally enters and doesn't exit..

58 gr VMax in my 243 anchors them with minimal pelt damage.

Have some 62 grain Varmint Grenades loaded up for my son's 6x45 but haven’t shot a coyote with it yet. On paper it looks good. Burns less powder than my 243 and only gives up 200 FPS