.243 reality check? -->Chose 6.5creed

My dad has been knocking muleys down for 40 years with a 6mm rem, 100gr interlock for years and also hornady sst’s. Gun came from his father in law who used it all through the 70s also.

SwiftShot

WKR
243 is a great deer rifle. 6mm Creedmoor is better as you can go heavier bullets. 6.5 Creedmoor is a more rounded round and has proven accuracy chops. You cannot go wrong with the 243 but there are better more modern options.

Wrench

WKR
A 243 and 105amax was the gold standard for a long time. The eld replacement seems to be nearly identical.

The biggest handicap of the 243 is Americans think they need 200gr pills at a minimum and 3400fps isn't fast enough.

Seeing people talk about putting a brake on a .243 or 6.5 CM makes me realize that .30 cal magnums are definitely not an option for some folks. Wow

My mother had a .243. She probably used Remington Core Lokts. We had to track a few that’s for sure. My niece killed a cow elk with it…. With a follow up shot to the head 25 minutes later. After the first shot the herd ran but she just stood there. Then walked away and bedded. My mother’s hunting was in the late 70 Bullets have definitely come a long way since then. A few deer have been killed by literally every caliber known to man. I know a guy that killed a 5 point bull elk with a .22! That doesn’t mean that choosing a better tool for the job shouldn’t be considered. My point is that a post that says “My brother killed one deader than hell with that gun” shouldn’t really influence your decision. Let’s not forget that there are lots of different styles of hunting in a wide range of conditions. So look at what you intend to use a gun for when choosing that best tool to get it done. Sneaking in timber and stalking on big sage brush flats or sitting in an elevated stand overlooking huge fields are all different ballgames. Then comes personal preference. After that just know your limits.

My granddaughter hunts with a .243 a 3 digit Remington 700, kills white tails D.R.T. she has dropped quite a few on the spot. Knowing that a white tail is smaller than most mule deer. I see no reason why the .243 would not get the jobe done well. As was stated know your limits, but for me the most important thing is shooting a cal. you are comfortable with in a platform you know well.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing people talk about putting a brake on a .243 or 6.5 CM makes me realize that .30 cal magnums are definitely not an option for some folks. Wow
Some people like to see their bullet impact and don't need to prove their manliness with the newest ultramagnum caliber

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Typical response.

If you go back a page or two you'll see the rifle is now painted ridiculous rainbow, by my dad and kid so they can have some memory tied to it after he passes from cancer. He is still with us, but pancreatic cancer doesn't have a cure yet and is having bad days more often. It also is engraved with a nice message from him to my kid.

I landed on it slinging 85gr bullets; so just a whole lot of non-masculine things going on with that rifle all at once. That setup did account for the shortest recovery distance (1-2 yards) on our recent mule deer hunt in comparison to two 300wsm rifles, and a 7saum.

My hope is that this thread can keep rolling with stories of success in the .243/6.5 "small" cartridge realm and not turn into another argument thread. Thanks.

If you go back a page or two you'll see the rifle is now painted ridiculous rainbow, by my dad and kid so they can have some memory tied to it after he passes from cancer. He is still with us, but pancreatic cancer doesn't have a cure yet and is having bad days more often. It also is engraved with a nice message from him to my kid.

I landed on it slinging 85gr bullets; so just a whole lot of non-masculine things going on with that rifle all at once. That setup did account for the shortest recovery distance (1-2 yards) on our recent mule deer hunt in comparison to two 300wsm rifles, and a 7saum.

My hope is that this thread can keep rolling with stories of success in the .243/6.5 "small" cartridge realm and not turn into another argument thread. Thanks.
No explanation needed. Your dad is a different story. Whatever it takes to get him out there. Same goes for kids. I was referring to perfectly healthy grown men. Sorry about that.

roymunson

WKR
This is why we hunt! Congrats to all parties involved!

I am headed on a trip next week and while I'll be using the 7RM as my primary gun, my 243 with 95 gr SSTs is my backup gun. If it's not too windy, I'd really like to use it for the pronghorn portion of what I'm doing.