25 creedmoor suggestions

Looking at building a 25 creedmoor but I have some questions. I understand sizing with a 6.5 die and 25 cal bushing, but any idea which bushing I should start with. I don’t mind getting a couple, but I’d like to not screw up and order one that’s useless. Also, it seems most people are using 6mm brass and necking up. But what I’ve found is a lot of 6cm brass is srp. Any reason to not opt for 6.5 brass, necking down and using lrp. My understanding is with the srp you need a magnum primer, and they’ve been much harder to find. Just wanting some opinions as i find components and deals I can start stocking up.

You’re fine buying 6.5 brass- it’s closer to .257 anyways. I also prefer large rifle primers, so no issue there either. Just buy good brass and neck down and you’ll be set. Don’t over think it.

You’re fine buying 6.5 brass- it’s closer to .257 anyways. I also prefer large rifle primers, so no issue there either. Just buy good brass and neck down and you’ll be set. Don’t over think it.
Guess I was wanting make sure I wasn’t missing something

Lapua or alpha brass 282 bushing +/-
I prefer SRP, CCI #41 or 450

You will find SRP is much much easier to find right now; unless you have a bunch of LRP on hand already I’d go with SRP

Alpha 25 creed brass that I had only had a 0.2835 loaded neck diameter. Peterson 25cm is 0.286 loaded. I use necked down alpha ocd 6.5cm, as loaded neck diameter is 0.286-0.2865, my chamber is 0.291nk. Most reamers are 0.290. Necked down lapua 65cm will be around 0.286 as well. I use a coated 284 bushing.

Lapua or alpha brass 282 bushing +/-
I prefer SRP, CCI #41 or 450

You will find SRP is much much easier to find right now; unless you have a bunch of LRP on hand already I’d go with SRP
I’ve got equal amounts of primers, but if I need magnum primers in small I only have 100. But I’ve also got a 223 coming as well.

Alpha 25 creed is widely available as well as peterson

You could buy a barrels worth right now from many retailers
When looked the other day it was out of stock, but I didn’t actively search for it other than their website. I’m still in the research faze but do have a donor on the way. I figure between now and next deer season I may have it together.

Thank you!

Reactions: WKR

Next question would be, is a magnum primer required if using small rifle primers

Cci 450s have been on the shelf of every local retailer around here for a long time as well.
And I’m sure I can order them much cheaper than I can buy them local, I just haven’t looked since I don’t need them. But if I need them for this project, I’ll start searching them out.

Next question would be, is a magnum primer required if using small rifle primers
No
Br-4 or fed 205m are being used by many

Edit: it all depends on what your expectations are anyhow. If you already have a primer on hand you can try it and see what your es/sd is and go from there

Last edited:
Back