Best Brass?

If you could get any brass you wanted for a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you go with? I see there are a bunch of makers and they also offer SRP vs. LRP. Seems most say the SRP last a little longer, but would like to hear your guys' experience. I think I have it narrowed down to Peterson, ADG, Lapua or Alpha?

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Lapua would be my 1st choice. They make 6.5CM in both LRP and SRP.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
I’ve been happy with brass from ADG and Alpha in terms of accuracy and consistency. The ADG has provided exceptional velocity numbers so far in 7 rem mag and 300prc. My 7prc has only had one firing on it and I haven’t worked up to pressure on it so the jury is still out.

The Alpha I’ve got for my 7-08 has had issues with case head separation that I hadn’t experienced while I was using Hornady for it. Could also very well be user error because I was following Lee FL sizer instructions instead of monitoring shoulder bump.

I have some Peterson 7prc but haven’t loaded it yet. It appears to be very consistent.

I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. Pick whichever is available and/or the cheapest and go shoot.

sdupontjr

WKR
Depends on what your doing, hunting or target?

I picked up 5 boxes of rem corlocks a while back for just playing around with my Tikka 308. Out of the 100, I have 89 left and they are on their 6th firing. Simple R-P Remington brass, i anneal every time and FL size every time. And I load the hot, bo loose primer pockets and they appear just like the 1st firing. The only reason I dont have all 100 is my kids forgot to pick up brass on a texas hint we made or I would have them all. So if your hunting, this is something to consider.

OP
H
Is there any reason to get the LRP over the SRP? Seems some guys say small may or can give an ignition problem. Other guys say SRP are more consistent and brass primer pockets have a longer life. I am just starting to gather supplies for a gun that should be completed by midyear, so time is on my side.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any reason to get the LRP over the SRP? Seems some guys say small may or can give an ignition problem. Other guys say SRP are more consistent and brass primer pockets have a longer life. I am just starting to gather supplies for a gun that should be completed by midyear, so time is on my side.

I was recently thinking about this for .308 win. The thing that came to mind for me is that LRP’s have been so hard to find and SRP’s seem to be a little more available. Not sure how this factors into your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
That is what Peterson states about their Creedmoore brass. I use Lapua and Peterson for my 284. Can’t really see any discernible difference between the two. I use the same size bushing for both. Lapua drills their flash holes. Peterson stamps but then reams and chamfers their flash holes from what i have been able to understand. I decided to build a 6 Creed the other day. I learned from my first build to go out and get the brass and primers I need when it was time to order the barrel.

There hasn’t been much coming from Lapua since the war started. Delivery has been sporadic at best. Quality Creedmoore brass with LRP pockets is difficult to come by but LR primers are almost non-existent right now. For the 6 Creed I went out and bought enough Peterson brass for at least the life of a barrel. I opted for the SRP. Brass engineers have found that you can step on pressure a bit if you use SR magnum primers because the primer cup is thicker. Also, there is more “fire” for a more consistent powder burn. Some of the PR shooters that load brass with SR pockets like to use CCI #450. Not that I am recommending this, because I haven’t tried it, just that is what I will be using.

rsipes3

FNG
lapua, adg, norma, peterson, all good brass picks, just depends what your going for i guess.

Gila

WKR
I was recently thinking about this for .308 win. The thing that came to mind for me is that LRP’s have been so hard to find and SRP’s seem to be a little more available. Not sure how this factors into your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Years ago handloaders were stepping on the SRP creed cases and piercing primers. Bolt shrouds were gettin shattered! That was about the time when Tikka started replacing the plastic shroud with a cast metal shroud. MT and Lumley make some shatter proof bolt shrouds. To use SRP need a smaller diameter decapping pin. Also need a narrower firing pin for some bolts. The Tikka bolts are small diameter firing pin and are good to go. Some people talk about bushing the firing pin for a center hit. My turret press came with large and small primer arms. And of course to debur the flash holes, need the smaller diameter tool. The nice thing about Lapua and Peterson brass is that the primer pockets and flash holes don’t need any work.

If you could get any brass you wanted for a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you go with? I see there are a bunch of makers and they also offer SRP vs. LRP. Seems most say the SRP last a little longer, but would like to hear your guys' experience. I think I have it narrowed down to Peterson, ADG, Lapua or Alpha?
I like Petersens or Lapua, ADG is good but it's thicker and requires a reduced load.