.264 Bullets

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting a 260 Remington since 1999 and have really enjoyed shooting and hunting with the cartridge.
With the popularity of the 6.5 increasing in the last 10-15 years, bullets have become increasingly difficult to find.
Does anybody know of a suitable .264 120 grain hunting bullet other than the TTSX for deer and elk? Also Speer Gold Dot bullets never seem to be in stock anywhere ever.

130 Eldm has worked well in my 260 over H4350. My muzzle is about 2850 fps.
Killed a lot of deer and 2-3 elk, no issues at all.

I see them regularly on store shelves but am still working through my supply I gathered as COVID set in

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 260 last summer, shooting the 127 gr LRX. Since I started accumulating components for it I've never seen the 6.5mm LRX out of stock. Someone always had it.

EdP

WKR
Heavier than what you were asking about but there are plenty of 142 gr Accubonds available. They are a great hunting bullet.

Have you looked at Hammer bullets? They are a mono bullet and are available in the weight range you asked about.

gerry35

WKR
Not a 120 gr class bullet but the 140 gr Speer G.S. is a good one for more normal ranges. Not the sleekest bullet out there but it performs well and is priced right.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
He’s probably got a 1:9 twist so the lrx and long range accubond are out
To the op
130 eld-m, 125 partition, 120 ballistic tip, 129 sst/interlock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbaney

FNG
Are we talking not in stock Via local Gun Shop or like every where? If it's just local I would start using some internet search sites like Ammoseek. Because I just looked at Barnes and they have the 120 grain TTSX/TSX both in stock. Good luck. I shoot the 130 Hornady Match bullets from my 260 however it is a 1:8 Twist.

I've recently worked up a 6.5 CM load using 120gr Hornady CX (and older GMX) bullets with good results.

In years past, the 127gr Barnes LRX has worked very well on deer for me, but the CXs have given better accuracy so far. I can't speak on elk hunting, but those LRXs did well on a mountain goat last year.

Not sure about how the twist rate on your .260 will interact with those though.

OP
Highlands Hunter

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My current 260 REM is a Husqvarna from the 60s. It has a Shilen barrel with a 1:8 twist I believe. I’ll have to confirm.
I’ve shot some 130 grain Sierras out of it and 129 Hornadys, but I’ve always preferred the 120s for a little more speed.
I would like to find a 120 grain lead core hunting bullet, due to them usually being a little cheaper than the monolithic bullets. I may have to just start using the Barnes TTSX 120s.
@amassi Do the Nosler ballistic tips hold up well enough in contact an elk shoulder?

I’ve shot the old Hornady GMX bullets and found they didn’t open up very well.

amassi

WKR
My current 260 REM is a Husqvarna from the 60s. It has a Shilen barrel with a 1:8 twist I believe. I’ll have to confirm.
I’ve shot some 130 grain Sierras out of it and 129 Hornadys, but I’ve always preferred the 120s for a little more speed.
I would like to find a 120 grain lead core hunting bullet, due to them usually being a little cheaper than the monolithic bullets. I may have to just start using the Barnes TTSX 120s.
@amassi Do the Nosler ballistic tips hold up well enough in contact an elk shoulder?

I’ve shot the old Hornady GMX bullets and found they didn’t open up very well.

Yes they(120 ballistic tip) do they’re not a very high bc bullet so there’s that to consider.
If you have a 1:8 twist I’d stock up on 130 sierra tipped matchking and be done with it. 130 eld m if your rifle doesn’t like the tmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Highlands Hunter

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
130 Eldm has worked well in my 260 over H4350. My muzzle is about 2850 fps.
Killed a lot of deer and 2-3 elk, no issues at all.

I see them regularly on store shelves but am still working through my supply I gathered as COVID set in
Just to clarify, you have used the 130 Hornady ELD-M, match bullets? I’ve wondered if the match bullets would work on elk and deer. I suppose they have a thinner jacket than the ELD-X….but if they work, they work.

amassi

WKR
Just to clarify, you have used the 130 Hornady ELD-M, match bullets? I’ve wondered if the match bullets would work on elk and deer. I suppose they have a thinner jacket than the ELD-X….but if they work, they work.

Correct 130 ELD Match. Jackets are essentially the same as ELDX just don’t have the tiny ring protruding into lead core to help hold it in the jacket.

ELDM kills very well at 260 Remington speeds