270 v 7mm-08 for young hunter

If he's shooting trap I wouldn't expect too much problem with rifle recoil. Nothing wrong with the "smaller" calibers either. I hate to agree with the trendies around here but in that range think you should consider the 6.5CM, no worries on recoil and tons of ammo availability and cheaper to shoot so he'll shoot more. It'll do pretty much everything the other two will with similar performance and that caliber has a reputation for accuracy as well. Having said that, when I was 16 my father bought me a 300 Wby mag with 1/4" solid butt pad. I've literally never missed an animal with that rifle, and never felt the recoil shooting at an animal either though it punished me at the range. I finally gave it to my son when I was around 45 years old. I think I'm getting too old for the magnums lol.

edit: Wanted to add that I just bought another 6.5CM that'll be dedicated for suppressed Whitetail/Texas hunting so maybe I'm becoming a fanboy. Anybody know if they just send me my flatbilled hat or do I have to fill out a Form or something?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is a massive explosion inches from your face and recoil. Being tough can’t overcome the natural reflexes completely.

I see lots of people who learned to shoot on high recoiling rifles and choose to shoot high recoil rifles, and they all aren’t good judges whether they have a flinch.

IMO, many more have a flinch than they will admit. Throw a dummy in and you can see it immediately.

Unckebob

WKR
1) I would get a short action (lighter) vs the 270
2) The difference between the 6.5CM, 7-08 & 308 are not really enough to get worked up on.
3) I would pick a 6mm of some kind. I am starting off my kids on a 243. My daughter is still learning the 22LR. If I didn't already have that rifle, I would buy a 6ARC in a Howa mini action. Savage Axis II if my budget was tight.

Last edited:

7mmag

Lil-Rokslider
What rifles are you looking at is the stock length going to be an issue what about weigh. They are both great calibers the 7-08 short action will probably be lighter . The 270 lots of ammo manufacturers maybe a better choice and probably a little heavier gun.

Using 120 ttsx in one of my 7mm-08's and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips in the other. Both would make great youth set ups with the low recoil and the 120's just hit hard. If elk hunting, I'd use the 120 ttsx or bump up to 140 grain accubond. Have three .270 win.'s and they can feel stout on the recoil at times even with 130 grain loads.

My Dad started me on a 30-06 and I did not shoot it well. Ended up going with a .300 savage the next year which I enjoyed much more and shot great. When I turned 18 I went out and bought a .300 win BLR and loved it. Do agree on starting light on the recoil to build on good shooting form without the fear of recoil.

JGRaider

WKR
Using 120 ttsx in one of my 7mm-08's and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips in the other. Both would make great youth set ups with the low recoil and the 120's just hit hard. If elk hunting, I'd use the 120 ttsx or bump up to 140 grain accubond. Have three .270 win.'s and they can feel stout on the recoil at times even with 130 grain loads.

My Dad started me on a 30-06 and I did not shoot it well. Ended up going with a .300 savage the next year which I enjoyed much more and shot great. When I turned 18 I went out and bought a .300 win BLR and loved it. Do agree on starting light on the recoil to build on good shooting form without the fear of recoil.
Right on. Add a suppressor will make that 7-08 a real pussycat to shoot. Seems like a no brainer to me.

MJB

WKR
270 130gr lead or copper, run them hot and they are killers. I've killed yotes out to 700yds.
This is my go to pig and deer caliber.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Have you read the 223 thread? Sincerely. There is NOTHING marginal about the wound channels created with optimized bullets.

Bullets matter.

Lots of good information in episode 35 of the Shoot2Hunt podcast.

5'3" 100# with a "bit" of recoil aversion...I would be looking at a 6mm of some sort and put a suppressor on it. 243 Win seems like the obvious choice if ammo availability is a concern.

My dad moved me up to a 6.5# compact rifle chambered in 270 WSM when I was just a little larger than your son. I absolutely hated shooting that rifle.

6 creedmoor - I’ve seen people claim .270 like ballistic for 6.5 creed but the 6 actually has 270 win ballistics because it’s not as slow as the 6.5. Less recoil. High BC (for a .243 diameter), high SD, big wound channel makin bullets.

243 works too, just with lesser bullets loaded in factory ammo.

OP
C
I do have suppressors but would like him to just learn. I think I make things too easy. I learned from friends the hard way and it caused me to learn the process.
He is right in the middle of a compact and regular rifle. He has also grown 2.5” since July. I have changed the draw length on his bow 3 times in the same time frame. So, Tikka, Remington, Howa and Bergara are tops to look at. Although I also like the CVA Scout.
Thanks everybody for all the info and thoughts!

If he's shooting trap I wouldn't expect too much problem with rifle recoil. Nothing wrong with the "smaller" calibers either. I hate to agree with the trendies around here but in that range think you should consider the 6.5CM, no worries on recoil and tons of ammo availability and cheaper to shoot so he'll shoot more. It'll do pretty much everything the other two will with similar performance and that caliber has a reputation for accuracy as well. Having said that, when I was 16 my father bought me a 300 Wby mag with 1/4" solid butt pad. I've literally never missed an animal with that rifle, and never felt the recoil shooting at an animal either though it punished me at the range. I finally gave it to my son when I was around 45 years old. I think I'm getting too old for the magnums lol.

edit: Wanted to add that I just bought another 6.5CM that'll be dedicated for suppressed Whitetail/Texas hunting so maybe I'm becoming a fanboy. Anybody know if they just send me my flatbilled hat or do I have to fill out a Form or something?
You need a manbun to go with the flat billed hat

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my 2 cents. Pick whichever you want but make getting a suppressor for them to use a priority! My wife and daughters didn’t enjoy shooting that much regardless of cartridge until I got a suppressor. Now they actually look forward to it! Just my personal experience so take it for what it is

Jethro

WKR
I got a 270 when I was 16. I don't remember how big I was, but I would not have wanted that caliber any earlier. My daughter from age 8 to 14 progressed from 22 to 22-250 to 243 and never had any issues with recoil. The 243 has been excellent on whitetails.

Between your 2 options, I'd choose 7-08.