270 WSM?

tomasw1

FNG
I have a Winchester M70 Featherlite in 270WSM. I got it for a great deal when Galians got bought out by Dicks Sports. I also have 3 boxes of Winchester 140 failsafe ammunition. I've only put about 10 shots through it and it sat. I'm getting into rifle again, and I am thinking about getting into a really nice "all around" type rifle. I'd love to ask this group what I should do... I was thinking of a higher end .308 or 6.5 PRC. Most hunting will be whitetail and black bear along the east coast, with the day dream of going out west. Should I show love to my Winchester since I have some ammo and brass? Or get into something else that has components more readily available. I appreciate your thoughts!

Winchester M70 Featherlite is a great rifle and the 270wsm is adequate for just about anything you could hunt. Ammo isn't as available as other calibers but it can be found. Do you reload?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
270 wsm is fantastic hunting cartridge and m70 fw is tough to beat as an all around hunting rifle. Not as common as the most popular rounds but it is still pretty popular and gets runs of ammo. I see it at Cabelas pretty regularly, at least Winchester brand

Lou

Gila

WKR
From what I have read around here WSM brass can be had by ADG. There is still an ammo and reloading component shortage for most calibers. There have been some awesome high BC low drag bullets come out in .277 in the last two years to support the 6.8 Western. You can load those bullets in your WSM if you have a long enough throat and enough barrel twist. You will need a 1:8” twist to shoot the new heavies. Having said that any good bonded conventional bullet 130-150 grains will do well for just about all big-game on this continent. I would say give it some love, work up a load or two that it likes, and get after it!

jimmy33

WKR
I love my 270wsm…i have killed elk, mule deer, and whitetail with it. I would just keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
If I was gonna shoot a lot, I'd ditch the WSM and go with a more common caliber. A fine cartridge but never gonna be mainstream ever again. Ammo will always be rare and $60 to $80 bucks a box.

If you like the rifle, look for same in whatever common cartridge fits your needs. I recently ditched a 7mm WSM I had ( a left hand ) . Sold ammo for a stupid amount and stocked up on factory 6.5 prc to feed my new rifle.

Had a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM for years. Solid it to a buddy and he used it for a few years.
Was a great round.
I didn’t care for reloading it. Would hit pressure real fast and get stiff bolt easily if trying for speed. Otherwise it was fine.

If you like your rifle then keep it. Otherwise you might consider a more common round.

The only issue with the 270 wsm is finding ammo. I have one in a Tikka and have killed deer, bear and antelope with it. It will out perform the 6.5 prc out to any practical hunting ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
If that rifle fits you well, and you like it, no reason at all it can’t be an “all around” rifle.

Sound like you reload so the ammo issue doesn’t apply.

I don’t think a “higher-end” rifle would do you any better, with regards to hunting scenarios. Being an east coaster myself, it’s easy to get caught up reading all this long range stuff, but if you’re like me, 95% of any opportunity will be within 400 yards.

I have customs and expensive off the shelf rifles, and enjoy hunting with and shooting them. But when it comes down to it, I could do everything with one of my BDLs, same as I could with a featherweight.

Now, if you want a new rifle, 100% go for it and enjoy! You absolutely don’t NEED anything else though, despite what you read online nowadays.

That 270wsm will do everything you want it to do, if you like the rifle and shoot it well then keep it. Keep all your brass and reload when you are ready. If you need I may have a set of dies you could have cheap. I regret getting rid of my 270wsm in college, would shoot cheap ammo amazingly well.

If you can find it, I think the terminal ascent matches the 270wsm well

I have always liked the 270wsm, seen them in action a fair amount and was always impressed

I have seen a few critters killed with accubond, and I think the terminal ascent is just a better version

If you can shoot the rifle well, and find ammo, a different cartridge won’t gain you anything. The thing a different cartridge may earn you is more trigger time shooting cheaper and more readily available ammo, which has a lot of value

TripleJ

WKR
My 270WSM in a run of the mill savage is a straight up killer. Elk, deer and bears from 40 yards out to 450+ yards, it gets it done. If you like it and shoot it well, it's a very capable round.

I think it’s a great caliber. I would be careful though finding reloading components for odd ball calibers has become very difficult as of late. I have gone to standard calibers over the last 6 years so not to experience any shortages in components.

Unckebob

WKR
I have a Winchester M70 Featherlite in 270WSM. I got it for a great deal when Galians got bought out by Dicks Sports. I also have 3 boxes of Winchester 140 failsafe ammunition. I've only put about 10 shots through it and it sat. I'm getting into rifle again, and I am thinking about getting into a really nice "all around" type rifle. I'd love to ask this group what I should do... I was thinking of a higher end .308 or 6.5 PRC. Most hunting will be whitetail and black bear along the east coast, with the day dream of going out west. Should I show love to my Winchester since I have some ammo and brass? Or get into something else that has components more readily available. I appreciate your thoughts!

The fit and finish on my Featherweight (308) is fantastic and it a good shooter.

There is a reason the Model 70 action has been around as long as it has.

The reasons they aren't more popular now:
1) The action will always be more expensive to build than the round tube actions like the XPRs.
2) Browning favors their X-bolts vs the Winchesters.

Unckebob

WKR
If anyone is looking for 270 WSM brass, MidwayUSA has some in stock as of my typing this note.

madcalfe

WKR
if you plan on reloading the 270wsm is fine.
can just get 300wsm brass and size down easily.
I've ran lots of 270wsm brass and sized up for my 300wsm.