270 wsm vs 6.5 CM

The Guide

WKR
She must be a good shot. Those CX seem pretty hard
A good shot she is but we have seen large exits (quarter to 50 cent piece) and good internal damage from them on shots from sub 100 yards to 350 yards. Larger exits when bone is hit and smaller if only flesh is hit.

Jay

I’ve killed too many white tail and hogs to count with the 6.5CM. Also dropped a couple aoudad with it as well. Furthest kill shot was 433 yards on an aoudad in west Texas and he dropped instantly. I will never understand the 6.5 haters as this round has never let me down

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed too many white tail and hogs to count with the 6.5CM. Also dropped a couple aoudad with it as well. Furthest kill shot was 433 yards on an aoudad in west Texas and he dropped instantly. I will never understand the 6.5 haters as this round has never let me down
what's your preferred bullet and load?

widnerkj

FNG
I hunt eastern whitetail quite a bit and you couldn't give me a 30-30 if I had to hunt with it. Never fails that I somehow see a good buck at 300 yards at least once a season even if I'm hunting woods. I once owned 13 30-30, 35 rem, 444 marlin. Bought my first BLR about a dozen years ago and sold the short range only guns.
When I lived in MA, and would hunt in Maine, I’d carry the marlin 1895G. There’s just something magical about a 45-70.

I shot my first whitetail with a 6.5 cm yesterday and it really impressed me.
100 yard high lung /spine shot and she was DRT with a 120 ballistic tip.
Destroyed the lungs , broke a rib going in then the spine and a rib upon exit.

Would post a pic but not sure how those types of pics are received here since I’m new.

Spoonbill

WKR
I shot my first whitetail with a 6.5 cm yesterday and it really impressed me.
100 yard high lung /spine shot and she was DRT with a 120 ballistic tip.
Destroyed the lungs , broke a rib going in then the spine and a rib upon exit.

Would post a pic but not sure how those types of pics are received here since I’m new.
Post them up! There is also a 6.5 kill thread on here.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my .270 wsm 20 years ago. Wish I would of bought a .270 or 7mm now. Thanks for the insight on your thread. Glad I’m not the only one thinking this way.

On a standard double lung shot I would expect a very short death run .
These bullets are tougher than the old ballistic tips so they aren’t fragmenting like the old thinner jackets did.

KenLee

WKR
On a standard double lung shot I would expect a very short death run .
These bullets are tougher than the old ballistic tips so they aren’t fragmenting like the old thinner jackets did.
Cool. I bought 120gr nbt and 143 eldx for 3 6.5s. 2 are youths. Only head and neck shot with the 120. I zeroed Youth rifles with 143 eldx yesterday. For grown women

I’m generally a neck shooter myself but didn’t have a comfortable shot at the neck yesterday .

Rest assured, these nbt’s will work on standard vitals shots.

I bought this rifle for a donor action for a 358 Winchester build but decided since it was so accurate I needed to take a deer with it first .

WCB

WKR
The deer won't care and you will have the same results. If you are making a decision on ammo availability than yes 6.5 crd would be the correct choice.

WSM cartridges are going the way of the dinosaur anyways. Not that they don't work but as you have noted the market is trending away from them.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and I love both of them. I haven't shot my 270wsm much in the last five years since I've had the cm because the cm is so much fun to shoot. I have killed elk, deer, sheep, goats, etc. with my cm and it's worked great, but there are times I miss packing my wsm like when there are lots of big grizzlies around. The penetration of the 130 barnes and that 270wsm is awesome. I am sure that the cm would work in a pinch, but I killed a lot of animals with the wsm and have a lot of confidence in it. Don't do something you'll regret, keep the wsm and get a cm too!

KenLee

WKR
I have both and I love both of them. I haven't shot my 270wsm much in the last five years since I've had the cm because the cm is so much fun to shoot. I have killed elk, deer, sheep, goats, etc. with my cm and it's worked great, but there are times I miss packing my wsm like when there are lots of big grizzlies around. The penetration of the 130 barnes and that 270wsm is awesome. I am sure that the cm would work in a pinch, but I killed a lot of animals with the wsm and have a lot of confidence in it. Don't do something you'll regret, keep the wsm and get a cm too!
Cheap 130 gr Winchester Power Max bonded dug deep and blew good holes. They discontinued it of course. Now all you can find is Power Max in the anemic 350 Legend

KenLee

WKR
I’m generally a neck shooter myself but didn’t have a comfortable shot at the neck yesterday .

Rest assured, these nbt’s will work on standard vitals shots.

I bought this rifle for a donor action for a 358 Winchester build but decided since it was so accurate I needed to take a deer with it first .
My full sized 6.5 Creedmoor is an x-bolt carbon fiber medallion. Dark glossy black stock with flashy silver fish scale look.
I call it the "Hood Rat Medallion". Set it up with the 120gr nbt.