270 wsm vs 6.5 CM

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
thinking of swapping my 270WSM to 6.5 Creedmoor. I do mostly whitetail hunting at Ranges from 25-200 with 80% of shots less than 100 yards. I got the .270wsm in thinking If I ever got out west it would do better at long range . I figured it was a great do all gun. Its a good shooter and been shooting the federal fusion 150 grains. Problem is when I go to get ammo, they never have any local. the shelves are overflowing with 6.5CM . I been doing some research, and it seems the 6.5cm is a love or hate. I do have some brass and reloading dies for thee 270wsm so I not totally out. both guns would be left hand tikkas. the 270wsm is 3 lite and the 6.5 cm is a super lite. I heard so many great things about the 6.5cm But studying it more I am wondering if a am making a mistake. I have the advantage of more over the counter ammo and less recoil. Then i got thinking if i really want less recoil I could just slow down what I had. of course, recoil doesn't bother me hunting and after I get a riffle set up i don't shoot much in off season. those of you that have experience with both calibers what do you think?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've got both, I've shot animals with both. I bought the 270WSM when I moved to Colorado, got a great deal on it and thought it would make a good rifle for elk, deer, etc. Picked up the 6.5 for my son for his first elk rifle. He shot a big cow at 200 yards and it just anchored her right there, one shot. After seeing that, I havent shot my 270 since LOL. Ammo is insanely expensive for it, if you can find it, but 6.5 is in every rural Walmart in the country.
I mainly bow hunt so I probably wouldn't be chasing bull elk with a rifle, if I was, I would probably grab the 270WSM over the 6.5, or a rifle moose tag, but anything from cow elk on down, the 6.5 is well suited.
I have never understood the "hate" for the 6.5. From what I see, it mainly comes from those that don't really understand ballistics and like to react to facebook memes, or those so stuck in their ways that any change or something new is by default, bad. Hold a 6.5 up to a 308, they are damn near the same thing. For hunting purposes, the 6.5 is in the same class, and will do anything that a 308 or 7mm-08 will do, yet you never hear people telling others on the internet how inadequate you are for shooting a 308. I dont think I have ever heard 7mm-08 equated with a man bun either. If I were you and I was hunting mainly whitetails I would choose 6.5. If you already have the 270WSM and reloading stuff for it (so ammo availability isnt as much a concern) and are considering buying the 6.5, then always lean towards buying another gun! Just kidding, the 270WSM is a fine caliber. Its a lot more recoil than the 6.5, and depending on the bullet choice and load, can really be overkill on smaller animals, but if you have it and are confident with it, theres no reason to replace it unless you just want another rifle.

Spoonbill

WKR
Food for thought, you can rebarrel your 270wsm to 6.5 prc. I dont think its really a fit for your situation hunting whitetails but its something to consider if you are just wanting 1 rifle.
I don’t have a 6.5 creedmoor but a lot of my dad’s friends have been buying them to hunt whitetails in the southeast and love them. They are shooting multiple whitetails a year and are happy with the results.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would go 6.5. No reason for more recoil, or dealing with inconsistent powder burn from half empty cases, or mixing in filler with downloading the WSM.

With the right bullets, even at sea level, the 6.5 will get you out past 500 yards with adequate expansion velocity.

The only complaint would be barrel life, but a 6.5 CM has better barrel life than a 270 WSM.

I dont think I have ever heard 7mm-08 equated with a man bun either.
No, but I have frequently heard the 7-08 referred to as a girls cartridge. Ballistically, at least when playing with Applied Ballistics, the 7-08 beats the 6.5 and the 6.5 beats the 308. My 308s will eventually get 6.5 CM or 7-08 barrels.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I would make that switch without hesitation, the 6.5cm is more than enough cartridge for whitetails much further than 200yds. I have used both and still have a 6.5cm, even that gets little use after putting together a 223.

widnerkj

FNG
I’ve been running 6.5CM for a while. First one was a savage axis. I wasn’t a fan of the default heavy bolt lift of the savage. But when my father went with me to sight it in he fell in love. Told mom he needs one, because “it doesn’t suck to shoot.”
I upgraded from the savage to a Howa 1500, and loved that one. Then put together an aero precision AR-10 in 6.5 with an 18” barrel. I really enjoy them. Mostly running hornady 143 ELD-X’s. My hunting buddy’s 11 year old son pulled a cow elk tag this year. So we set him up with a mossburg youth in 6.5. And he anchored a big cow elk with one round at 180 yards.
Anyone bragging that it’s not a hunting cartridge, basis all their knowledge on hearsay, and haven’t fired one at any critters. It’s a wonderfully efficient cartridge, and the good hunting rounds have incredible sectional density.

widnerkj

FNG
Honestly, eastern whitetail is 30-30 all day long. 45-70 for thick brush in Maine. Upstate NY, would be 125 grain SST’s in a .300 blackout to keep it light. But OP wanted to know about a 6.5CM, as they see the ammo everywhere. That 6.5 will work all North American game with factory ammo. So it’d be an easy to justify purchase. The soft recoil, and flat shooting will fill the freezer easily.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
My 270 WSM is my main big game rifle but I live in elk country and get to hunt them pretty regularly. That being said the 6.5 CM is great for deer and will work for elk. My .02 cents, but no matter what caliber/cartridge a good bonded or mono bullet should be used for elk unless you only take broadside shots.

Macintosh

WKR
Lots of people hate on the MARKETING of the 6.5 and how it was hyped, but very, very, very few of the people hating on the 6.5cm actually have anything negative to say about it performance-wise. The worst people will say is that it's not as much better than another similar short-action cartridge such as a .260 or 7mm-08 to warrant the excessive hype. Sub 200 yards it's probably no better at all. But I dont think anyone will say that a higher BC bullet in a more efficient cartridge from a chamber with tighter tolerances shot through a barrel designed for shooting those high-BC heavy for caliber bullets isnt a recipe for high odds of an accurate rifle off the shelf. I love a 7mm08 myself, but ammo availability is exponentially better in a 6.5cm and recoil is noticeably less for me out of the same gun assuming factory loads. I've shot just enough deer with one to know that at 200 yards and under the deer wont be able to tell the difference between a 6.5cm and a 270wsm...dead is dead, anything more is wasted.

Nockemdwn

FNG
To me the 270 WSM is way to much for white tails !
I had one and quit using it and want back to my 30-06.

Long Cut

WKR
Flip a coin.

Bullet choice & shot placement (Practice) are significantly more important than caliber for hunting Whitetails inside of 200 yards.

The last 3 deer I’ve shot with my 6.5’s have gone a combined total of 60 yards. Bullet choice & shot placement were optimal for all 3 shots. I watched all 3 expire within a minute.

I’m biased to 6.5’s, as I own and reload for them. I will be transitioning to .223 due to ammo costs, less recoil, muzzle jump, AR platform’s and similar lethality.

ianpadron

WKR
I've killed multiple animals with each of those cartridges out West. I got my 270 WSM a few years back to replace a 6.5CM before I knew much about ballistics, thinking more speed was the answer to longer shot distances. I then ended up shooting my next 2 mule deer with that WSM at less than 30 yards TOTAL haha. I have killed multiple deer past 200 with it as well, definitely a laser beam and hits animals with a very noticeable authority.

That said, with the recent ammo shortage I scooped a purpose built mountain rifle in none other than 6.5CM, with a scope designed to dial. First hunt out with it ended up killing a buck at 525 yards, 100 yards further than I had killed anything with the 270 WSM. Excellent terminal performance and zero drama on a very large bodied mule deer.

In summary, you shouldn't feel that the 6.5CM is even remotely close to a limiting factor for a trip out west, in fact, a lighter, handier, lighter recoiling rifle shooting wind-defying projectiles is actually a huge benefit in the mountains imho.

If you are in pursuit of maximum MPBR and will be using a BDC reticle, get the 270 WSM and have fun (130-140 grain bullets at 3400 are lasers), but if becoming a better SHOOTER is the plan, get the 6.5 CM with a reliable dialing scope and start practicing.

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the input. sportsmen Has a left hand 6.5 tikka super lite on black Friday sale. I think I going to buy it. I been looking at loads. thinking of starting Barnes 127xtr copper round. At the moment lead is still legal in NY but there talk about that ending.

widnerkj

FNG
That should be a really potent load. I know my father is using swift siroco II's in the 130 grain weight to fill all his tags in New Mexico.

KenLee

WKR
Honestly, eastern whitetail is 30-30 all day long. 45-70 for thick brush in Maine. Upstate NY, would be 125 grain SST’s in a .300 blackout to keep it light. But OP wanted to know about a 6.5CM, as they see the ammo everywhere. That 6.5 will work all North American game with factory ammo. So it’d be an easy to justify purchase. The soft recoil, and flat shooting will fill the freezer easily.
I hunt eastern whitetail quite a bit and you couldn't give me a 30-30 if I had to hunt with it. Never fails that I somehow see a good buck at 300 yards at least once a season even if I'm hunting woods. I once owned 13 30-30, 35 rem, 444 marlin. Bought my first BLR about a dozen years ago and sold the short range only guns.

The Guide

WKR
thanks for all the input. sportsmen Has a left hand 6.5 tikka super lite on black Friday sale. I think I going to buy it. I been looking at loads. thinking of starting Barnes 127xtr copper round. At the moment lead is still legal in NY but there talk about that ending.
Also look at the Hornady Outfitter 120CX round for another lead free option. My daughter's Tikka shoots it exceptionally well and has killed 6 deer with them so far and they have preformed exceptionally on game.

Jay

KenLee

WKR
Also look at the Hornady Outfitter 120CX round for another lead free option. My daughter's Tikka shoots it exceptionally well and has killed 6 deer with them so far and they have preformed exceptionally on game.

Jay
She must be a good shot. Those CX seem pretty hard