28 Gauge

JAlvis

FNG
Who here prefers 28g and what are you shooting? What loads do you prefer and for what birds?

Zappaman

WKR
If you load TSS a 28g WILL take down geese at 40 yards without fail. That said, I use a 20g because I can't find a 28g sxs or ou for reasonable cash lately. Ten years ago they were selling for dirt, but now they bring thier weight in gold it seems (like everything lately)

Been lusting after a benelli legacy 28 for chasing quail for awhile now, but finding the shells has kept me from the temptation. This reminded me that I really should get into shotshell reloading. Thanks, I really needed another expensive time consuming hobby…😁

I have been upland hunting exclusively with a 28 ga. since the mid 90’s, running various pointing breeds for pheasants, quail, ruff grouse and woodcock. I shoot mostly 6 shot and then once in awhile have 7.5 shot in the first barrel. The first barrel set up is when hunting for woodcock and grouse. The gun I carry mostly is a Rizzini OU weighing about 5.5 pounds, a pleasure to carry all day.

TSnave

FNG
I actually found 28 gauge in Walmart a couple of weeks ago for under $13/box so grabbed a couple. I like my 28 or .410 for mountain grouse.

Terrapin

WKR
I use a 28ga for almost all upland. I’m currently using a Franchi Instinct O/U with #6 shot for the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
They make a great turkey gun for younger kids. My youngest shot his first two turkeys with a 28 auto at 5 and 6 years old. I have a buddy that upland hunts with his. Imo, his wounding rate is considerably higher than should be acceptable.

I want one of the CZ sxs guns in 28 gauge badly. I shot one a few years ago and fell in love instantly. I felt I couldn’t miss and it was super light and swung so fast.

I’d take it out grouse and pheasant hunting all day.

OP
JAlvis

JAlvis

FNG
I want one of the CZ sxs guns in 28 gauge badly. I shot one a few years ago and fell in love instantly. I felt I couldn’t miss and it was super light and swung so fast.

I’d take it out grouse and pheasant hunting all day.
I have the 20g version but would certainly be interested in adding the 28g from CZ for the price. Doesnt look like any have been imported in over a year so hard to find and inflated.

I have used my 28 ga Beretta A400 Xplor semi auto for all upland hunting this year. 28” barrel. Empty weight is 5#8oz and it is a a joy to carry and shoot.

With the modified choke tube and 7/8 oz #6 hard lead shot reloads pushed 1300 fps it has worked very well on chukar, ruffed, sharptail and blue grouse. All birds shot on the fly, typically off a point from the Vizsla.

I shoot a fair amount of skeet with the little gun and shoot about the same scores with it as my 12 ga
a400 Xcel target gun.

On another note I have a 26” barrel set in 28 ga for the Beretta 686 O/U but prefer the longer 28” barrels in 20 ga. In 20 yrs of use I just don’t shoot the shorter barrels as well, skeet or hunting. The gun is actually 2 oz heavier in 28 ga due to thicker barrel walls back by the chamber despite shorter barrels.

Reloading is a must for the 28 ga if you shoot it a lot, shells are expensive running 50% higher than 20 ga or 12 ga shells. The A400 28 ga throws empties a long ways…15’ so that is a drawback to it, on the range or in the field.

Now a days, reloading components can be hard to find as are factory shells. Gun clubs often make component orders and have some success in getting them, same for ammo.

Good luck with your new shotgun!

Rcol317

FNG
I'm with you all on the little 28ga. Been shooting mine for 40 years and agree if I didn't reload would have been a challenge. Seems today to be far more popular than 20 years ago. I have a little Browning over and under but really do most of my bird hunting with a 20 ga Beretta Pigeon grade with Briley tubes. Seems the tubes add just enough weight to really make if very smooth to shoot. Got to love the little 28.

Attachments

• Quail.jpg
    Quail.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 20
Rcol, Subgage 28 ga tubes in your 20 ga Beretta, or did you mean Briley extended choke tubes in the the 20 ga? Just was curious as I don't know anyone with 28 ga tubes in a 20 ga.

As per the Briley extended choke tubes...I do like them in my 686 Silver Pigeon 20 ga with 28" barrels. Usaully have IC and Mod in it when hunting.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought my first 28 and am blown away by what 7/8 of an ounce of bismuth can do. I'm still better with my heavy loads of #6 lead out of the 20 gauge, but I've killed everything from Huns to Honkers with the 7/8 oz boss #5's and have only been shooting it a couple of weeks

Rcol317

FNG
Blockcaver, They are Briley full length tubes in my Beretta 20 ga. I have 28 ga and a set of 410 full length tubes. Probably 15 years ago + when Briley made them fitted to my barrel.

Wassid82

WKR
I use a 28ga for almost all upland. I’m currently using a Franchi Instinct O/U with #6 shot for the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm considering that gun. What feedback would you be able to share about reliability, recoil, functionality, etc? What other guns do you shoot or have you shot and how does the Franchi compare? Thanks in advance

Wags

WKR
Not yet, I’ve been eyeing a TriStar to try out. My primary is a Sweet 16 A5. I absolutely love that gun but wouldn’t mind a 28 to fool around with.