Votes: 67 63.8%
  • 30-06

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

WesternMDShooter

Lil-Rokslider
that’s screaming considering my 28 nos is only pushing 180s out of 26 inch barrel 3150ish maybe i need to push my nos more. I may need to re look the ackley

OP
Bado20

Bado20

FNG
Ended up going with an IBI carbon barrel in 280AI. I ordered the MT long action mag to get the extra 60 thousandths of mag length to partially mitigate the COL issue. I ended up rebuilding the entire rifle, I'm really excited to see how the project shoots once its all done.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
that’s screaming considering my 28 nos is only pushing 180s out of 26 inch barrel 3150ish maybe i need to push my nos more. I may need to re look the ackley
Yes, it's moving right along. I had my freebore lengthened, and I seat the bullets long in Peterson brass, over 59.3 grains of RL26 with F210M primers. It's a fantastic target load. I also will use it where I might be taking shots on game over 500 meters. Thats my limit with the 155 Absolute Hammers. This is from a 24" Bartlein 1-8" twist barrel.

willtim

WKR
When you're in small town, back country, USA and you need (more) ammo, which do you think the local hardware store will have in stock?

In an effort to clear up the “280ai doesn’t work in a tikka” myth hopefully once and for all, I present this dummy round seated at my to-the-lands length with a 168 VLD Hunting.

Y06Ngbv.jpg

Redsnake bottom metal, XL bolt stop, MDT mag.

When you're in small town, back country, USA and you need (more) ammo, which do you think the local hardware store will have in stock?
If a guy runs out of ammo, he didn't bring enough. If bringing two boxes of ammo isn't enough, I don't know what it is.

I've only read about it in magazines. I recall it was the guy deer hunting in Pennsylvania with a 300 H&H. He was standing in the middle of the dirt road on opening day in the dark asking vehicles driving by if anybody had ammo. Supposedly left it on the kitchen counter by the empty coffee pot he filled his thermos with. How is an ethical hunter gonna get the rifle verified on borrowed ammo on opening day in the crowded woods, which I'm sure was not found. Or using local hardware store ammo.

It's a fantastic argument in theory, but the reality is that's a "you" problem, not what round the gun is chambered for, and definitely not a local hardware store problem.

Last edited:

tak

WKR
If a guy runs out of ammo, he didn't bring enough. If bringing two boxes of ammo isn't enough, I don't know what it is.

I've only read about it in magazines. I recall it was the guy deer hunting in Pennsylvania with a 300 H&H. He was standing in the middle of the dirt road on opening day in the dark asking vehicles driving by if anybody had ammo. Supposedly left it on the kitchen counter by the empty coffee pot he filled his thermos with. How is an ethical hunter gonna get the rifle verified on borrowed ammo on opening day in the crowded woods, which I'm sure was not found. Or using local hardware store ammo.

It's a fantastic argument in theory, but the reality is that's a "you" problem, not what round the gun is chambered for, and definitely not a local hardware store problem.

Agree, and I never understand the airline argument. "If the airlines loses your ammo"

I've always packed ammo in my gun case, one couldn't make it without the other. Maybe flying internationally that could be an issue.

I'd worry about my boots or something more. It's easy to borrow a rifle, boots would be tougher.

OP
Bado20

Bado20

FNG
I live 100 miles from a hardware store and around 300 miles from a gun store. If I run out of ammo the fastest solution is going to be to drive home and handload some more. For the lower 48 you probably have a valid argument but it really doesn't affect me much.

Lol, IMO no, there really isn't a valid argument for ammo not making it to the same place as the gun. Whether it's an early rise from home to get in the woods or driving across state lines. Now, if it's a young hunter and dad forgot the kid's ammo, dad better be giving up his gun for that!