7 MM - 08 To 280 AI

WRM

WKR
I'm a fan of the 280AI, but also don't much see why if you have a 6.5 PRC. But, once again into the breech...

Mine's a Mountain Ascent, bought long before the latest price increases. If the Hunter stock fits you, you could go that route. Or pay a bit more and get a Montana, or pop for the MA. This takes the "project" out of it, and maybe that was really the point. If you want a project...I don't have any other suggestions.

Hello,
I'm new on here. I was looking at a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and 30-06. I was thinking about a rebarrel 24-26 inch. Also higher end trigger. I am interested in a 280 AI. I am posting today to get an opinion. I have a limited budget. I would like to get a higher quality rifle as an end result. Would I be better off buying a $1300 gun? Or buy an ok action and do some work?
I would like a 280 AI with an 7.5-8 twist. 450 yards or less for elk and under. I currently shoot a 300 win mag but the recoil has been wearing on me. I also hand load for 7 other cartridges. I would shoot around 150-160 gr bullet.
If you are going to shoot 150gr bullets you are better off getting a 6.5 PRC. I think the 280 AI shines with 170-180gr bullets.

OP
WYhuntshoot
Yep I have a 6.5 PRC. It shoots handloads with 55.6 grains RL 26 and the 143 ELDX just fine. I killed 1/2 of my elk this fall with it at 411 yards. I don’t own any rifles in 284 currently. I was looking at a cheap just for fun build. I ended up upgrading my 300 win mag.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
7mm08 is plenty to 400.

Not many factory 280AI rifles with 8 twist. 9 twist is fine for 150-160 grain bullets.

With your heart set on a 280AI, if it was me I’d save a little more $$ and buy a Ridgeline 280AI.
Browning’s production line for .280 ai are all 1:8 twist

Unckebob

WKR
Yep I have a 6.5 PRC. It shoots handloads with 55.6 grains RL 26 and the 143 ELDX just fine. I killed 1/2 of my elk this fall with it at 411 yards. I don’t own any rifles in 284 currently. I was looking at a cheap just for fun build. I ended up upgrading my 300 win mag.

I recently built myself a 280AI around an Origin action. Last Sunday, I took it out to the range for the first time to see if I would blow my face off. The first few rounds, I fired Nosler factory 140g ammo getting 3,200fps on my MagnetoSpeed. Realizing I could compare it apples to apples vs the 2 6.6"s and 7-08.

280AI - 3,200 fps with 140g Nosler BT
6.5 PRC - 2,900 fps with 140g Nosler BT (per box)
7-08 - 2,825 fos with 140g Nosler BT (per box)
6.5 CM - 2,700 fps with 140g Nosler BT (per my MagmetSpeed)

I am keeping my 6.5CM to kill deer with. It is very good at it. The 7-08 would do fine in that role.

Bottom Line - the PRC doesn't do enough to remotely compete with the 280 AI (and other LA cartridges) for bigger game. Neither does the 7-08.

Recoil: I have never shot a 6.5 PRC or 7-08, but the recoil on the 280 AI was nothing to worry about compared to my 6.5CM.

I recently built myself a 280AI around an Origin action. Last Sunday, I took it out to the range for the first time to see if I would blow my face off. The first few rounds, I fired Nosler factory 140g ammo getting 3,200fps on my MagnetoSpeed. Realizing I could compare it apples to apples vs the 2 6.6"s and 7-08.

280AI - 3,200 fps with 140g Nosler BT
6.5 PRC - 2,900 fps with 140g Nosler BT (per box)
7-08 - 2,825 fos with 140g Nosler BT (per box)
6.5 CM - 2,700 fps with 140g Nosler BT (per my MagmetSpeed)

I am keeping my 6.5CM to kill deer with. It is very good at it. The 7-08 would do fine in that role.

Bottom Line - the PRC doesn't do enough to remotely compete with the 280 AI (and other LA cartridges) for bigger game. Neither does the 7-08.

Recoil: I have never shot a 6.5 PRC or 7-08, but the recoil on the 280 AI was nothing to worry about compared to my 6.5CM.
Hold on a second…I have a 6.5 PRC and a 280 AI. When you run the numbers, the high BC bullets of the PRC run past the 280AI after 500 yards. Both are no slouch, but to say it doesnt remotely compete is absolutely wrong. For the reasons mentioned above, mine are set up for two different purposes. My 280 AI is an ultralight mountain rifle and the PRC is set up for long range hunting.

Hello,
I'm new on here. I was looking at a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and 30-06. I was thinking about a rebarrel 24-26 inch. Also higher end trigger. I am interested in a 280 AI. I am posting today to get an opinion. I have a limited budget. I would like to get a higher quality rifle as an end result. Would I be better off buying a $1300 gun? Or buy an ok action and do some work?
I would like a 280 AI with an 7.5-8 twist. 450 yards or less for elk and under. I currently shoot a 300 win mag but the recoil has been wearing on me. I also hand load for 7 other cartridges. I would shoot around 150-160 gr bullet.
In your shoes, I'd just go buy a Kimber Hunter or Hunter Pro in .280 AI and be done with it. They really aren't that expensive when you consider what you're getting, and sometimes you can find them on sale for less than the price of a Tikka.

Unckebob

WKR
Hold on a second…I have a 6.5 PRC and a 280 AI. When you run the numbers, the high BC bullets of the PRC run past the 280AI after 500 yards. Both are no slouch, but to say it doesnt remotely compete is absolutely wrong. For the reasons mentioned above, mine are set up for two different purposes. My 280 AI is an ultralight mountain rifle and the PRC is set up for long range hunting.

I am not comfortable with the idea of hitting a 400+Yard ethical shot (for me) from a field position because I don't really have an opportunity to practice enough from those positions. I am a pretty good shot from a bench, a stable bipod prone position, or a blind. Off a backpack, I am not so confident. I know a lot of western hunters can and do take longer shots. Unfortunately, I don't have that level of experience.

My 280AI Origin is setup the way it is (24" barrel) because I have some planned hunts where I needed a more powerful cartridge than my 6.5 CM or my 308 and I wanted something different in a long action cartridge. It will be my "long range" rifle. My 6.5 CM is going to my daughter next year for her birthday.

For deer in Texas, I have a 19" 270 threaded barrel coming which I will use to convert the Origin into a short, reasonably light suppressed deer rifle. I expect to use it most of the time.

Last edited:

BKehoe05

FNG
Hello,
I picked up my Browning HCS LR in .280AI back in the spring for $1129.00 here in TX. I have been shooting 140 gr. .280 REM for hogs and deer all year with incredibly accurate and lethal results. I have the spring removed from the trigger because factory it is a hair too stiff. I have a boatload of .280AI custom loads but I’m still fire forming the .280 REM ammo before switching to the AI rounds. It’s been lethal and the action is darn slick!

OP
WYhuntshoot
I am not comfortable with the idea of hitting a 400+Yard ethical shot (for me) from a field position because I don't really have an opportunity to practice enough from those positions. I am a pretty good shot from a bench, a stable bipod prone position, or a blind. Off a backpack, I am not so confident. I know a lot of western hunters can and do take longer shots. Unfortunately, I don't have that level of experience.

My 280AI Origin is setup the way it is (24" barrel) because I have some planned hunts where I needed a more powerful cartridge than my 6.5 CM or my 308 and I wanted something different in a long action cartridge. It will be my "long range" rifle. My 6.5 CM is going to my daughter next year for her birthday.

For deer in Texas, I have a 19" 270 threaded barrel coming which I will use to convert the Origin into a short, reasonably light suppressed deer rifle. I expect to use it most of the time.
Here in WY where I live I hunted for 18 years with my Remington 30-06. I shot deer, elk and antelope. Once I started making more money I picked up a few more rifles. This year I shot two elk with my browning 6.5 PRC. One at 411 yards through the chest and another at 422 broadside. No complaints for bullet performance or internal organ damage. I’m so impressed with the PRC I’m going to sell my 300 win mag. Not reason to punish myself with that heavy gun and heavy recoil. A high quality high bc bullet and cartridge in .284 is still on my list. No reason to jump on the 7PRC bandwagon. Never going to be able to afford or find brass for loading. 280AI is still high on my list. I’d rather shoot bullets in the 160 class though.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Here in WY where I live I hunted for 18 years with my Remington 30-06. I shot deer, elk and antelope. Once I started making more money I picked up a few more rifles. This year I shot two elk with my browning 6.5 PRC. One at 411 yards through the chest and another at 422 broadside. No complaints for bullet performance or internal organ damage. I’m so impressed with the PRC I’m going to sell my 300 win mag. Not reason to punish myself with that heavy gun and heavy recoil. A high quality high bc bullet and cartridge in .284 is still on my list. No reason to jump on the 7PRC bandwagon. Never going to be able to afford or find brass for loading. 280AI is still high on my list. I’d rather shoot bullets in the 160 class though.
If I may- if you want the high performance that a .284 can give you, why would you not jump on the 7 PRC? I know you stated availability reasons but it’s not as if 280 AI is super popular. And in a year or two I think 7 PRC will be around at the same level if not more. 5 years from now it could be one of the highest selling cartridges just like the 6.5 counterpart. I’m asking because I was all in on a 280 before the 7 PRC was announced and released. I think performance wise it would be a marked improvement, and I’m willing to wait some because I likely won’t have a tag that I need the firepower for.

Unckebob

WKR

I am confused by this part of your sentence. I think you mean that you want a 7mm bullet in the 160g class.

The bullets I really want to try out are the 175g Accubond LR and the 160g Sierra TMK. I also really want a lead-free bullet to work well in the rifle.

So far, I have collected:
1) Box of 140g Nosler BT ammo,
2) 50 Barnes 145g LRX
3) 100 150 grain ELD-X
4) 200 Midway seconds (162g ELD-m or X)

OP
WYhuntshoot
I am confused by this part of your sentence. I think you mean that you want a 7mm bullet in the 160g class.

The bullets I really want to try out are the 175g Accubond LR and the 160g Sierra TMK. I also really want a lead-free bullet to work well in the rifle.

So far, I have collected:
1) Box of 140g Nosler BT ammo,
2) 50 Barnes 145g LRX
3) 100 150 grain ELD-X
4) 200 Midway seconds (162g ELD-m or X)
Some one earlier was posting about shooting 140 gr factory loads in the 280 AI. Performance wise I have plenty of guns shooting loads from 60 gr to 212 gr. I’d shoot the 160s in my .284 cartridge to fill a missing niche. I shot the 180 ttsx in my 300 win mag. They shot good.

OP
WYhuntshoot
If I may- if you want the high performance that a .284 can give you, why would you not jump on the 7 PRC? I know you stated availability reasons but it’s not as if 280 AI is super popular. And in a year or two I think 7 PRC will be around at the same level if not more. 5 years from now it could be one of the highest selling cartridges just like the 6.5 counterpart. I’m asking because I was all in on a 280 before the 7 PRC was announced and released. I think performance wise it would be a marked improvement, and I’m willing to wait some because I likely won’t have a tag that I need the firepower for.
In a couple years maybe I will re-examine the 7 PRC. I always need the firepower. Multiple elk, deer and antelope tags to fill every year. I have a nostalgic problem with 30-06 parent case cartridges. That is why I have more interest in the 280 AI.

Jon Boy

WKR
Buy a Tikka in in 7/08 and rechamber in 284 win if you want added horse power. I personally think its a better cartridge than the 280 ackley

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
In a couple years maybe I will re-examine the 7 PRC. I always need the firepower. Multiple elk, deer and antelope tags to fill every year. I have a nostalgic problem with 30-06 parent case cartridges. That is why I have more interest in the 280 AI.

This old guy really hates the Hornady ELD bullets and regularly goes on rants about pretty much every new cartridge.