3 Tikka builds in process...

The Guide

WKR
Just got my email that at least 1 of my new PRC barrels has been put into the production line. I currently have a 6.5 and a 7 PRC barrel on order from Preferred Barrels. I plan on building all 3 PRC's on Tikka actions with the 6.5mm in a factory T3x stock with upgraded vertical grip and beavertail forend, 7mm in an Oryx chassis, and the 300 using a factory stock with Mountain Tactical bottom metal that allows for the use of the big CIP AISC magazines for the 300WM. Going to have to mill a little bit of the action to make it work with the 300 PRC but once I have it all functioning correctly I'll likely upgrade the stock to something like a AG Composites Alpine Hunter. But,... if the 7mm shoots good and makes me happy enough I might just make a second one of them instead of the 300 (and cutting into a perfectly fine action) as the plans are for them to be long range elk rifles from my wife and kids to shoot when they need to reach 400 to 800 yards.

Looking forward to the builds as I'll be doing all the work myself. Will keep this post updated as I work through the builds.

Jay

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Saved for build #1.

Original rifle is a stainless steel Tikka T3 in 270 WSM purchased on gunbroker.com with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 2.5x10 Mil scope on it and around 350 rounds of factory ammo.

Update: 10/12/2023

The 6.5 PRC barrel from PBB came in about 2 months after it was ordered. Barrel is a hand lapped 22" Tikka "Lite Hybrid" contour threaded with a thread protector. I now have the barrel and the go gauge so it is time to get some stuff torn apart.

Jay

Last edited:
OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Saved for build #2.

Rifle started as a stainless steel Tikka T3X in 300WM purchased new for this project. Factory stock was used for rifle build #1 and action was put into a MDT Oryx chassis.

Update #1 - 9/15/2023

Received the new barrel prefit barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. 24" medium palma 8 twist hand lapped stainless steel barrel chambered in 7mm PRC. Need to get the barrel vise setup and see how hard it is going to be to get the factory barrel off. I have a universal action wrench to try and remove the barrel and the Short Action Customs action wrench with the Tikka head to go back together with the new barrel. Still waiting on gauges from Pacific to verify head space. Will take pictures and update when I start.

Jay

Last edited:
OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Saved for build #3.

This rifle started as a Stainless steel Tikka T3 300WM purchased new in 2016. It shoots silly good with 185 grain Berger ammo but nobody else in my family likes to shoot it other Tham me due to light weight and 300WM slap. I've killed 3 or 4 elk with it and multiple deer. Hate to lose a good shooter but I have like 7 rifles in 300WM and should diversifie a little. I will have to do some work to the action to get the 300 PRC to fit but it can be done. If the 7mm PRC that I'm building provides the niche I'm looking to fill, I may just build a 2nd one of them instead of the 300 PRC.

Jay

SloppyJ

WKR
Who's doing the work on the 300? I would really like to put together a TIkka 300prc but not be OAL limited.

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Who's doing the work on the 300? I would really like to put together a TIkka 300prc but not be OAL limited.
If I go with the 300 PRC, I will be doing all the work on the rifles. There isn't that much that needs to be removed. I'll be using Mountain Tactical bottom metal that may not be available anymore as I don't see it on the website anymore.

This is the video for the installation.

Jay

Harvey_NW

WKR
If I go with the 300 PRC, I will be doing all the work on the rifles. There isn't that much that needs to be removed. I'll be using Mountain Tactical bottom metal that may not be available anymore as I don't see it on the website anymore.
RedSnake Tactical has a good bottom metal for the same application. I did the conversion once and was upset because they didn't disclose that the action needed to be ported for proper function, but the part was solid.

NSI

WKR
RedSnake Tactical has a good bottom metal for the same application. I did the conversion once and was upset because they didn't disclose that the action needed to be ported for proper function, but the part was solid.
Looks like it can't be ordered right now either. I went with Atlasworx. Will report back.

-J

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Got my 6.5 PRC go gauge delivered from PTG but still waiting on the 7 PRC go gauge. I'll probably get the 6.5 barrel and the 7 go gauge at the same time! 🤦‍♂ Still waiting on parts. Good news though, the 6.5 PRC barrel I got from @NSI is a hammer though. I let my niece shoot it at 612 yards and she hit the rock 4/5 times. She thinks I should build her a rifle now since she can shoot better than her dad...

Jay

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
I was right... or close to it. Got my 6.5 PRC barrel delivered 10/11 and got notice of shipping on my 7 PRC go gauge being shipped today. Looks like I should have all the parts to start making these builds go forward. Just in time for hunting season...

Jay

Reactions: NSI

acel

FNG
Watching. I'm interested too. If you're successful I'll look into it rather than do another build.