30-06 rifle Suggestion $1500 (CZ, Tikka, Nosler...)

OP
everestwc

everestwc

FNG
Weatherby Mark V

Love this damn rifle. I have three of them lol

This guy has known all along! I had no idea they were this light either. The model is called "Synthetic Stainless." I don't think it's a 'lightweight' model.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
Went back to the Weatherby site and they list a Back Country model @ 6 3/4 #'s. Half a dozen asst. calibers.

OP
everestwc

everestwc

FNG
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455642449.429820.jpg
6lb 6.4oz. (In case it's hard to see.)
I was pleasantly surprised.

jrnorton4

FNG
What's the consensus on the Browning X-Bolt? It seems to fit the bill and has a high quality feel to it in my opinion.

Congrats on picking up the Weatherby. Never had one, but always heard they are great.
I was wondering the same thing, why nobody brought up the X-bolt? I have one in 300 WSM that will shoot 1/2 MOA straight out of the box with the right ammo (Federal Fusion factory loads or handloads). I have really loved the thing so far.

elkguide

WKR
So many good rifles. So little time AND money!

I have some Remington 700's, some Kimbers, several custom rifles with Remington, Sako and Mauser style actions. I even have a couple of "tweaked" Rugers that are still around. Depending on where I'm heading to hunt determines which one I grab because of how they carry and fit in my hand. I just traded away a NIB X-Bolt. Sweet Rifle but I have never been able to get accustomed to the bolt throw. The same idea with the Weatherbys and the high comb, just doesn't throw up well for me. So beyond the light weight issue that I believe this thread was started for, I'd put a few in my hands, row that old bolt and throw them up and see how they fit and feel to you.

Currently, if I'm covering much ground at all, I opt for one of my Kimber Montana's even over the custom built lightweights.
If I'm sitting or just still hunting, I tend to fall back on an old Ruger 77 that whatever I point at with it, seems to fall over.
Finding a new hunting friend is so much fun!

GKPrice

Banned
So many good rifles. So little time AND money!

I have some Remington 700's, some Kimbers, several custom rifles with Remington, Sako and Mauser style actions. I even have a couple of "tweaked" Rugers that are still around. Depending on where I'm heading to hunt determines which one I grab because of how they carry and fit in my hand. I just traded away a NIB X-Bolt. Sweet Rifle but I have never been able to get accustomed to the bolt throw. The same idea with the Weatherbys and the high comb, just doesn't throw up well for me. So beyond the light weight issue that I believe this thread was started for, I'd put a few in my hands, row that old bolt and throw them up and see how they fit and feel to you.

Currently, if I'm covering much ground at all, I opt for one of my Kimber Montana's even over the custom built lightweights.
If I'm sitting or just still hunting, I tend to fall back on an old Ruger 77 that whatever I point at with it, seems to fall over.
Finding a new hunting friend is so much fun!

You are SOOOOO right there ! as far as "lightweights" go there is no better deal out there than a Kimber Montana, at least at this point - I have both but the only reason I can give for preferring my Tikka superlight '06 is the "MAYBE" I'm a bit more shaky now than I was just a few seasons back - the Montana does have a slight "Dakota" feel to me that the Tikka lacks but that is searching for excuses "why" and I can offer no other excuses at this time - As far as the 60 degree bolt throw goes I was an ABOLT fanatic for many years so I was already indoctrinated to it I guess, I always liked that feature - at 7lb 3oz with a VX3 3.5 x 10 and full clip my superlight works well for me at any elevation (so far)

Now a simple 6x42mm Leupold scope would be just perfect on it for an optic. Light, strong, and fantastic optics. 6x is all the power a guy needs. I'm a huge fixed power guy. I've only recently put a variable on my very first and only rifle to carry one! :D

GKPrice

Banned
Now a simple 6x42mm Leupold scope would be just perfect on it for an optic. Light, strong, and fantastic optics. 6x is all the power a guy needs. I'm a huge fixed power guy. I've only recently put a variable on my very first and only rifle to carry one! :D

I was the same forever, FX 3 - 6 x 42's is what my rifles carried then .... I noticed the "old" eyes were not focusing as acutely as they used to so I gave a VX 3 3.5 x 10 x 40mm a try - it hasn't handicapped me so far and if I do decide to make that "500 yd" shot the 10x works better but it stays on 3.5 until then and works surprisingly well - even when I was really shooting a lot of varmints I'd opt for Leupold 12x's over the high magnification "modern" scopes and kill just as many rodents as everyone else - I shot a lot with a buddy who told me the 12x was made for 10/22's - he also had several 6.5 x 20's that he had Premier Reticle "boost" back when they worked on Leupolds only, but I could not use them, my eyes would get blurry and tear up