30-06 vs 300 Weatherby Mag

Ragnüs

FNG
Hello!

I'm debating on buying a Weatherby Vanguard in a 300 Weatherby Mag. I live out west and want to have a rifle for Deer, Elk, Black bear and MTN Goats and Big horn if i ever draw a tag. However I already have a Mossberg 100 ATR in a 30-06, that i got when I was a kid. My question is would it be worth getting the Weatherby? I've done a ton of reading and the 30-06 ( with the vast amount of grain bullets) can be used for almost any North American big game. But the Weatherby is a much higher quality rifle, it has better action and out of the box accuracy with Weatherby's is top of the line. Would it be redundant to have both?

thanks!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WSM it's one of my go to rifles for the West and overseas. I also have a couple of 30-06's Winchester and Remington, you can't have too many rifles right. I don't usually keep a rifle if it doesn't shoot 1" moa . The Vanguard shoots closer to 1/2 " which is why it gets taken on most hunting trips. I'm not sure it would be redundant to have both the 30-06 and 300 but the 30-06 will kill anything in North America that you can hunt. I know a lot of guys that buy a 300 because they plan on hunting elk and never get around to it. If it was me and I could only have a limited amount of guns I'd probably look at keeping the 30-06 and depending on what your hunting look at a lighter caliber. Everybody has their own favorite lighter caliber rifle I tend to favor the .243.

A lot of guys on here will argue that Weatherby is no longer a quality rifle I will respectfully disagree as I think it's as accurate rifle out of the box as several custom rifles I've owned. I also shoot a 12 gauge Orion and a 20 gauge Athena which are my favorite over and under shotguns so yes I'm a Weatherby guy. Good luck on your decision and good hunting and beware buying another rifle is probably just the start to an addiction.

Encore4me

FNG
If I were to get a 300, it would be the 300 Win Mag. More abundant ammo choices and its a lot cheaper. I don’t know if the 300 mag is that much better than a 30-06 since you already have that one. If you didn’t have the 30-06 I would personally get the 300 over the 06. If you are just wanting a new gun (can’t believe I’m saying this) I would get the 6.5 Creedmore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
Back in the early 90's when Weatherby first came out with the Accumark I bought the first one to hit town in 300 Wby. At the time it was the only centerfire rifle I owned and used it for literally everything shooting a variety of different 180 grain bullets. It was probably the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned and shot just about any 180gr I ran through it extremely well. Haven't owned a 300 Wby in probably 20 years but I'll always have a bit of a fondness for the 300 Bee.

Having said that, if you are shooting factory ammo I think your money would be better spent get that rifle in either 300 PRC or 300 Win mag. Ammo will not only be cheaper for those other two but availability will be better as well.

I'm always a proponent of someone getting a new rifle but in all honesty if your current 30-06 is getting the job done for you and shooting well there's not really anything you've mentioned it can't do. BUT, if you're looking for a little push to convince yourself you need a new rifle I'll be happy to help shove you that direction and I'm sure there are plenty more around here that'll do the same. We're always more than willing to help a guy spend his hard earned money on a new gun purchase. :)

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Accumark in 300 Wby. I got it as an Elk rifle. I already had Win 70s in 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H, but I wanted an all weather rifle. I am very pleased with it. The rifle shoots sub-MOA with my hand loads using 180 grain Accubonds.

The 300 Wby predates the 300 Min Mag and outperforms it by at least 200 fps. The only real downside is the cost of ammo if you don't hand load. If you are going to shoot factory loaded ammo, you might want to go another route unless you don't mind spending $80/box for cartridges.

jimh406

WKR
Brand of the rifle is only part of it. You don't necessarily get what you pay for. Good bedding, trigger, optics, load, and of course practice can make a big difference in accuracy.

My 300 Wby is a lot different than a 30'06 even with the same bullet weights. Sure, it is more powerful/faster by a lot. The question is can you shoot one well enough to make use of the power. Only the 300 RUM kicks more than the 300 Wby. Yes, it is that much more. That being said, you don't save that much kick by backing it down to a 300 Win Mag which is still significantly more than the 30'06.

A 280 AI would be a good choice as something that will shoot flatter without more kick, but a quality 30'06 will do all that you are wanting.

Before you get too far a long, search out a 300 Mag of some type to shoot which will give you more of an idea of the difference in kick that you will be dealing with. It can't really be overstated.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody has said it yet so I might as well but another caliber to consider if other calibers are to be considered is a 338 win mag personally I own both a 30.06 and the 300 wby and I much prefer my wby to the 06 out of them all though for what you stated as possible game I would probably grab my 270 wby or the 300 wby or the 338 win mag but the 06 will probably stay on the shelf.

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
I have the Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WSM it's one of my go to rifles for the West and overseas. I also have a couple of 30-06's Winchester and Remington, you can't have too many rifles right. I don't usually keep a rifle if it doesn't shoot 1" moa . The Vanguard shoots closer to 1/2 " which is why it gets taken on most hunting trips. I'm not sure it would be redundant to have both the 30-06 and 300 but the 30-06 will kill anything in North America that you can hunt. I know a lot of guys that buy a 300 because they plan on hunting elk and never get around to it. If it was me and I could only have a limited amount of guns I'd probably look at keeping the 30-06 and depending on what your hunting look at a lighter caliber. Everybody has their own favorite lighter caliber rifle I tend to favor the .243.

A lot of guys on here will argue that Weatherby is no longer a quality rifle I will respectfully disagree as I think it's as accurate rifle out of the box as several custom rifles I've owned. I also shoot a 12 gauge Orion and a 20 gauge Athena which are my favorite over and under shotguns so yes I'm a Weatherby guy. Good luck on your decision and good hunting and beware buying another rifle is probably just the start to an addiction.
I appreciate the feedback! I think im going to end up going with the 300 WinMag. Ammo cost and availability is much better in that caliber. I recently built a long range AR in a 6.5 grendel and it nearly impossible to find ammo, and if i do its crazy expensive.

Now mu decision is between the Rem 700 SPS or the Tikka T3X. about the same price and from what ive read the rem 700 has had the trigger issue fixed. the recall was between 2006-2014 so i think that should be fine. Plus the REM 700 is the AR equivalent of bolt action rifles. however still weighing the difference in weight and accuracy. in the end this is a western hunting gun so weight is a big factor.

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Split the difference and go 300 Win Mag
Youre completely right. this is what im going to do. Ammo is cheaper and more available. plus still enough power for big game across the globe. A bucket list hunt for me is stalking the caribou migration in Tundra. just need to win the lottery! I appreciate the help!

RobDP

FNG
I always say “why choose one when you can have both”. Maybe not today but over time most any of us can save up for and get another one. If you only want one rifle then get the one you really want.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
get it pair it with any bullet you can get. i shoot the 180 grain weatherby brand accubond loads 5 shots 1 1/8 group at 100 3/4 3 shot 100 dead zero like the box says you can use it for anything 30-06 is okay but you have about a 40 inch drop at 500 instead of a 22.4 inch at 500 with the weatherby. i have killed 4 deer with mine this season does just fine. my dad uses the remington core lokt 300 weatherby loads and has killed a lot of deer with it. they do not load the accubond weatherby loads anymore so get the barnes ttsx if all copper is okay with you should be just fine that is what i am gonna go to then i am gonna buy some 195 grainn bergers weatherby load to group and try. go on weatherby.com and get a ammo that they load that you like for bullet choice after you get your gun and pile one up and you will never change. nothing shoots flatter hits harder or is more accurate weatherby.

Gsarty

FNG
I have had both in Remington 700s. When I shot a bunch the 300 Weatherby recoil was manageable but stout. I sold the rifle a few years back and don’t miss it. The 30-06 has been my go to.

Rich M

WKR
Stay with 30-06, get a diff gun if you want another. Stay away from specialized calibers ($ for ammo)

There's no arguing with the ammo cost and availability of a 300 Winchester being better. When I go to small town shops that one thing I take note of, is ammo availability in case of emergency. 30-06 is even more prevalent.

That being said... a 30-06 loaded with 175 grain Barnes LRX has enough velocity and energy to kill an elk at 600 yards. If you really need more than that and want to step up, why compromise with the 300 WM?

I'll be the contrarian of the group and recommend going to the 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM. Maximum velocity gives more room for error on estimates of range and wind. Also permits sensible use of heavier bullets. Yes they're more expensive and ammo is harder to find. But if those are your concerns then stick with the 30-06, it's entirely capable in 98% of situations. The cost of a new ammo and rifle buys a whole lot of 30-06 ammo to practice with. All that being said, I'll always encourage buying a new gun! So go get whatever appeals most to you, just be honest with yourself about your goals.