30 Nosler +P

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After watching my wife shoot a bull at 1165 with a 215 Berger traveling 2820. It made me rethink what I needed in a LR rifle. After giving it some thought I decided I didn't need a long barrel to get those speeds out of a 30 Nosler case especially if I have Defensive Edge +P it.

So I started collecting parts, the final piece showed up today. Here is the parts list.

Carbon Six Carbon Barrel 20" 1/8 Twist
Mesa Precision Arms TI LA
XLR Element Chassis
TI Pro Muzzle Brake
Geissele Super 700 Tigger
Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid Rings
Vortex LHT (This could change)

One thing that surprised me was the Mesa Precision action was lighter than advertised.

30 NOS.jpg

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
After watching my wife shoot a bull at 1165 with a 215 Berger traveling 2820. It made me rethink what I needed in a LR rifle. After giving it some thought I decided I didn't need a long barrel to get those speeds out of a 30 Nosler case especially if I have Defensive Edge +P it.

So I started collecting parts, the final piece showed up today. Here is the parts list.

Carbon Six Carbon Barrel 20" 1/8 Twist
Mesa Precision Arms TI LA
XLR Element Chassis
The "Muzzle" Ti Break (Coming Soon)
Trigger Tech
Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid Rings
Vortex LHT (This could change)

One thing that surprised me was the Mesa Precision action was lighter than advertised.

View attachment 211012

I like the setup, 20” barrel is ideal IMO. Long enough to get some velocity, short enough not to hang up on everything. I’m guessing the muzzle blast will increase a bit, but my Nosler blasts anyway.

Savagenut

WKR
Ryan I can’t find any intel on the +p. Can you share? I’m running a 30 nosler and 28” barrel. I love the velocity but not the barrel length.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
20” with +p velocity could be achieved in a 24” or so barrel without +p, right?

I would assume so. But it could only give me minimal or no increase in velocity. It will be an interesting test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savagenut

WKR
Thanks! He says reduces the diameter of the land to land measurement, but I think he means increases?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What made you decide on the Carbon six over Proof or Christensen? Just wanted to compare or? And, why not a 1/9 twist for the 215's?

@Tanya Avery will probably take this one from you anyway since it would make a great pair with her 6.5 PRC.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks! He says reduces the diameter of the land to land measurement, but I think he means increases?

I’m no expert on this but the way I understand it the lands are reduced just in front of the throat. Increasing the lands Would increase friction causing more pressure.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What made you decide on the Carbon six over Proof or Christensen? Just wanted to compare or? And, why not a 1/9 twist for the 215's?

@Tanya Avery will probably take this one from you anyway since it would make a great pair with her 6.5 PRC.

I like Mcgowen barrels and Carbon Six uses Mcgowen blanks. They also have a custom barrel builder on their website which I don’t know why other carbon barrel companies don't offer this. Went 1/8 because I might want to try some 245s :)

@Tanya Avery takes all my stuff. Haha

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I like Mcgowen barrels and Carbon Six uses Mcgowen blanks. They also have a custom barrel builder on their website which I don’t know why other carbon barrel companies don't offer this. Went 1/8 because I might want to try some 245s :)

@Tanya Avery takes all my stuff. Haha

It’s actually half mine..so....we are just sharing it ;)