30 Nosler +P

I don’t have a Mesa, but I know that’s definitely not the nature of all Ti actions. I’ve got an LPA nitrided Ti Razor that’s smooth, reliable, precise, etc.
Yeah LP makes an awesome action, if I were to ever try ti again that'd be the one.
Pretty damn happy with my 22oz Defiance AnTi though, don't think I'd ever go away from a SS action again..

khuber84

WKR
Yeah LP makes an awesome action, if I were to ever try ti again that'd be the one.
Pretty damn happy with my 22oz Defiance AnTi though, don't think I'd ever go away from a SS action again..
And you're 100% correct, now that stainless can be had same weight as ti, there is zero reason to go there. I have disliked all ti actions I've had in my possession, LPA or mesas.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Now that you have some trigger time on that Mesa Precision action what are your thoughts? If you had it to do all over again would you still choose the same action? As light as it is it seems great for a mountain rifle, but I haven't been able to find very much on it in the way of reviews.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is my fourth Ti action. They are not as smooth as a SS action. But some are better than others. This is the Gen 2 Ti action from Mesa and I really like it. It’s smooth for a TI action. My favorite feature of the action is the 70 degree bolt throw. I would like to see them put an integrated rail on it.

It’s a well-built action. I would buy with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jmo

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is my forth Ti action. They are not as smooth as a SS action. But some are better than others. This is the Gen 2 Ti action from Mesa and I really like it. It’s smooth for a TI action. My favorite feature of the action is the 70 degree bolt throw. I would like to see them put a integrated rail in it.

It’s a well built action. I would buy with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You ever built off of a Curtis with the 60deg bolt throw? Same as a Browning A bolt or X bolt bolt throw. I keep reading good things about the Curtis'.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
You ever built off of a Curtis with the 60deg bolt throw? Same as a Browning A bolt or X bolt bolt throw. I keep reading good things about the Curtis'.

For what it's worth, not a lot of love over at the hide for curtis. Unless you're having issues with scope clearance or buy into them feeding better from AW mags and that is important, I dont see much benefit to the shorter bolt rotation. It usually means stiffer bolt lift/close too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For what it's worth, not a lot of love over at the hide for curtis. Unless you're having issues with scope clearance or buy into them feeding better from AW mags and that is important, I dont see much benefit to the shorter bolt rotation. It usually means stiffer bolt lift/close too.

Ahhhhhh, the Hide. Don't really miss being over there. They are more fanboyish on gear than guys here on the 'slide are lol.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I haven't had issues with stiffer bolt throws on any of the 60deg bolts I've owned. Personal preference. They gush over the Terminus though, and it's just a tweaked version of a Curtis. It's always entertaining though to watch how pissy they get over there.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Have one on my 300 Terminator. The biggest advantage with them is you can run a 4" Box. They are on the heavy side. They are very popular with the PRS crowd so they must cycle well.

Ryan- do you think there is any advantage in ballistic or terminal performance to a 230 hybrid over the 215 hybrid with the Nosler case in a 20-22 inch barrel?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan- do you think there is any advantage in ballistic or terminal performance to a 230 hybrid over the 215 hybrid with the Nosler case in a 20-22 inch barrel?
Maybe with a 22" I don't think the 20" will send them fast enough.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

It especially ran wild after Proof dropped Curtis actions as a prefit option because they did not hold tolerances tightly enough during production. The Valor came out after that specifically advertising tolerances acceptable for prefits. Before that even, the rumor mill was running about customer service and defects. I know two guys that had problems with galling on lugs with brand new actions because of a heat treat issue. They were given the run around at first, but eventually they went back and were replaced. It was after that when Joel left Curtis and started Terminus. So, Terminus is the favored version on the Hide. (All allegedly).

I like the shorter bolt throw to keep away from my scope which are larger and further back than typical. When I get on a 90 degree bolt throw, that is the main difference I feel. Most 90 degree rifles don't feel any stiffer bolt open, but there are some customs that certainly are lighter and smoother. The difference is really on the leverage difference over a shorter primary extraction cam and cocking the firing pin. I do know that going from the 16 lb spring in my original Nuke to the 19 lb spring made a difference I could feel. And, the 21 lb spring is almost unacceptable to me. It was interesting to feel the difference with the Archimedes that only has firing pin cocking on the bolt open because extraction was on the lever.

If you have stiff bolt close it can be because of timing issues or it is designed for cock on close. I messed with a Howa 1500, and the three I looked at had quite a bit of cock on close so that it was harder to close the bolt than on my Nucleus.

I haven't had issues with stiffer bolt throws on any of the 60deg bolts I've owned. Personal preference. They gush over the Terminus though, and it's just a tweaked version of a Curtis. It's always entertaining though to watch how pissy they get over there.

It is amusing to see distinct personalities on the different forums. I just try to sift through it all for usable information.

Like you , I have run Nucleus actions with a 70ish bolt throw, and don't find enough of a difference to matter to me between it and a 90 degree, even though there are 90 degree bolt throws out there that take less effort.

If you want to run a Curtis, I know guys who really like theirs and haven't had any problems. But, based on conversations with people who have dealt with both companies, Terminus is where I would buy from with more confidence. Customer service seems more responsive and I understand Joel made tweaks to the Terminus actions that improved reliability and function. This is first hand from shooters, not the Hide. In the end, I buy ARC actions, but there are those that don't like Ted who runs it, lol. Same everywhere.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It especially ran wild after Proof dropped Curtis actions as a prefit option because they did not hold tolerances tightly enough during production. The Valor came out after that specifically advertising tolerances acceptable for prefits. Before that even, the rumor mill was running about customer service and defects. I know two guys that had problems with galling on lugs with brand new actions because of a heat treat issue. They were given the run around at first, but eventually they went back and were replaced. It was after that when Joel left Curtis and started Terminus. So, Terminus is the favored version on the Hide. (All allegedly).

I like the shorter bolt throw to keep away from my scope which are larger and further back than typical. When I get on a 90 degree bolt throw, that is the main difference I feel. Most 90 degree rifles don't feel any stiffer bolt open, but there are some customs that certainly are lighter and smoother. The difference is really on the leverage difference over a shorter primary extraction cam and cocking the firing pin. I do know that going from the 16 lb spring in my original Nuke to the 19 lb spring made a difference I could feel. And, the 21 lb spring is almost unacceptable to me. It was interesting to feel the difference with the Archimedes that only has firing pin cocking on the bolt open because extraction was on the lever.

If you have stiff bolt close it can be because of timing issues or it is designed for cock on close. I messed with a Howa 1500, and the three I looked at had quite a bit of cock on close so that it was harder to close the bolt than on my Nucleus.

It is amusing to see distinct personalities on the different forums. I just try to sift through it all for usable information.

Like you , I have run Nucleus actions with a 70ish bolt throw, and don't find enough of a difference to matter to me between it and a 90 degree, even though there are 90 degree bolt throws out there that take less effort.

If you want to run a Curtis, I know guys who really like theirs and haven't had any problems. But, based on conversations with people who have dealt with both companies, Terminus is where I would buy from with more confidence. Customer service seems more responsive and I understand Joel made tweaks to the Terminus actions that improved reliability and function. This is first hand from shooters, not the Hide. In the end, I buy ARC actions, but there are those that don't like Ted who runs it, lol. Same everywhere.
Well Said!!

I had one and it was a disappointment
Hey man, this is John H. with Mesa Precision. This post was brought to my attention and I would like to reach out and help in anyway I can. I have not heard of this issue that you are stating, did you give the office a call? If not please do, the last thing we want is someone struggling with one of your products. 970-424-0979 is the shop number, ask for me.

Thanks

codyadams

FNG
You still liking this set up Ryan? I'm putting together something similar with a Bartlien #4 carbon, Bat Vampire, and folding XLR mg chassis in 30 nosler, 20" but will be supressed not braked.