300 win mag bad hunting experiences

Petar

FNG
Hello everybody
I have browning long track semi auto in 300 win mag for 6 years
I use it on european wild boar driven hunt, so far i havent made a instant kill
Also i encountered very bad bullet penetration. I use s&b pts 180 grains bullets. least weak i hit 250 pounds wild boar on less than 80 yards in the upper part of the front leg, it brake the bone only, it made a huge entry hole, you can open your palm inside, and most importantly didnt penetrate the chest, it stopped in the ribs. i had to chase this boar for 1 mile and kill it with a head shot, no exit wound again. Last year i hit one 300 pounds wild boar at 40 yards just behind the front leg, it brake one rib on the entry side and stopped in the rib on the other side.
Can someone give me advice on whats happening here. These bullet should go through both front legs without a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_124714.jpg
    IMG_20191020_124714.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20191020_164129.jpg
    IMG_20191020_164129.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 138
OP
P

Petar

FNG
These are good quality bullets. Its hard to find better quality bullet here, they go 80$ per box

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_235010.jpg
    IMG_20191105_235010.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20191105_235015.jpg
    IMG_20191105_235015.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 140

Big Ern

WKR
Not familiar with that. But, even with a spit ball out of your .300WM you should drop a 250lb pig at 80 yds.

Try switching to a partition or eldx.

92xj

WKR
cost doesn't mean good for certain situations. You're using a bullet designed for rapid expansion and not penetration and it has a pig picture on their website which I am assuming drew you to the ammo. From the website "The PTS bullet was designed and manufactured by Hornady, the largest independent producer of high quality hunting bullets in the world. PTS bullets contain a premium polymer tip for rapid expansion and energy transfer. Its optimum shape enables the bullet to achieve higher speed and trajectory stability." and my words ' explode on impact".
https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pr...on/hunting-rifle-ammunition-with-pts-bullets/

Buy these https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pr...fle-ammunition-with-nosler-partition-bullets/

or these https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/products/rifle-ammunition/rifle-ammunition-with-exergy-bullets/

and go kill pigs. Or shoot whatever you want and aim for the ear hole.

OP
P

Petar

FNG
cost doesn't mean good for certain situations. You're using a bullet designed for rapid expansion and not penetration and it has a pig picture on their website which I am assuming drew you to the ammo. From the website "The PTS bullet was designed and manufactured by Hornady, the largest independent producer of high quality hunting bullets in the world. PTS bullets contain a premium polymer tip for rapid expansion and energy transfer. Its optimum shape enables the bullet to achieve higher speed and trajectory stability." and my words ' explode on impact".
https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pr...on/hunting-rifle-ammunition-with-pts-bullets/

Buy these https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pr...fle-ammunition-with-nosler-partition-bullets/

or these https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/products/rifle-ammunition/rifle-ammunition-with-exergy-bullets/

and go kill pigs. Or shoot whatever you want and aim for the ear hole.
Tnx for the advice, i will try these ones if i find them here
But still I find this strange. Im thinking that this is happening because of the heat that the cartridge is producing, it melts the bullet and thats why its performing like this.My friends have 30 06, they are using softpoints from prvi parizan PPU and its making far more damage
This is so strange

I'm not trying to be a flag waver but I think you'd be better off using S&B ammo for plinking and use a trusted American manufacturer for your hunting ammo. Ive shot thousands of S&B rounds but would never consider hunting with it. What country are you in?

Shotshill

FNG
Petar , see the above comments and as hinted, I suspect you are in a country not as firearm & ammo friendly as the US... Good luck procuring your desired replacement ammo..

mcseal2

WKR
If you can get 180gr Accubonds or a similar tough bullet you will see better results. A buddy shot a big muley buck bedded at 12 yards with a 185gr Berger from his 300 win mag this year and the bullet blew up inside without exiting. The buck was tough, he ran 440 yards and took a second shot to anchor. After cutting him up the bullet had wrecked the back of the lungs, but was a bit far back. Some animals are tough. Some bullets are more forgiving in regards to impact velocity also.

Azone

WKR
If you handload I would recommend a Barnes 168 TTSX with a healthy dose of what ever powder your rifle likes.
Hogs can take an awful lot of bullets once crippled and running from a threat.
Something with a Scirocco or A-frame would also be a good choice.
Due to the fact that hogs are able to absorb multiple bullets sometimes, is what leads me to try and make head shots on them if the opportunity presents itself. Some people frown and talk bad about the practice but it works best in my opinion on hogs.

264win

WKR
As mentioned above, the 300 win mag is great, the bullets are your problem. The bullets you are using are made to expand and come apart in lighter smaller animals than the boars you are shooting.

I don’t know where you live or what is available there, but try to find a bullet that is heavily constructed and made for hunting big game.
Barnes, Nosler partition, swift A frame, etc
Also if you can go to a 200 or 220 grain bullet that will help as well.

hodgeman

WKR
What bullets can you get? I understand that not all countries have a large selection of bullets available- but there should be something available with a stouter bullet. S&B loads Partitions and "Exergy" bullets which looks a whole lot like a Barnes TSX. Either would be a much better choice.

The "PTS" bullet is very similar to the Hornady SST (it may be the SST rebranded)....that's not a hog bullet at close range.

OP
P

Petar

FNG
What country are you in?
[/QUOTE]
Im from maceodonia, its small country north from greece

OP
P

Petar

FNG
The "PTS" bullet is very similar to the Hornady SST (it may be the SST rebranded)....that's not a hog bullet at close range.
[/QUOTE]

Thats why I went for pts bullets, I neded the shock from that soft point, I was using PPU Grom before, its solid copper bullet, its not expanding much, and the result was terrible also, it went through the boar without making any damage, once I hit 6 different boars from the herd, I only found one, other hunters found the others 2 miles from the place I was shooting, these were going through their rib, making just a small hole, and exited the other way just the same, no expanding at all, maybe because of the speedi
So that kind of solid bullet is a big no, I dont have the conditions to follow a blod trail for that far, and the animal is suffering a way too much