300 WSM Barrel Length Help

cfish4422

What did you have your barrel threaded to? I'm looking at doing exactly this to a 300 wsm t3x SS superlite or t3x SS lite (whichever I can get my hands on first), then throwing my suppressor on it. I have read differing opinions on there being enough meat on these specific barrels to thread and get enough of a shoulder for a suppressor.

308ghost

What did you have your barrel threaded to? I'm looking at doing exactly this to a 300 wsm t3x SS superlite or t3x SS lite (whichever I can get my hands on first), then throwing my suppressor on it. I have read differing opinions on there being enough meat on these specific barrels to thread and get enough of a shoulder for a suppressor.
I went with 9/16″-24 on the 300WSM. I also have a 7mm rem mag tikka and did the 1/2X28 on that one because the bore was smaller and there was more steel. It has a little more shoulder for the mount to tighten up too but I check to make sure that thing is tight no matter what its on pretty frequently. I havent had any issues with it backing off the 300 WSM or the 7mm barrel. I also dont shoot long strings with these rifles and havent had any problems around the muzzle as of yet.

OP
J

Japes4

This has become a very useful and informative thread! After talking with my gunsmith, I ended up going with 2 1/2 cut off and 1/2 x 28 threads. Until my suppressor gets out of jail, I’ll be running the Area 419 Hellfire brake. I hope to work up rounds with TTSX to get velocity back up to 3000 - 3050. Maybe, someday, I’ll be as good behind the trigger as 308ghost and get get results like that out of the 300wsm!

cfish4422

This has become a very useful and informative thread! After talking with my gunsmith, I ended up going with 2 1/2 cut off and 1/2 x 28 threads. Until my suppressor gets out of jail, I’ll be running the Area 419 Hellfire brake. I hope to work up rounds with TTSX to get velocity back up to 3000 - 3050. Maybe, someday, I’ll be as good behind the trigger as 308ghost and get get results like that out of the 300wsm!
What is your barrel length after taking the 2.5 inches off? I'm waiting to get my hands on either a t3x lite from my local gun shop or a superlite from sportsmans, I'll buy whichever comes available first. Initially I thought I'd cut the lite down to 22 inches then thread, or just leave the superlite at 22 inches and thread, but after reading 308ghost's results I'm considering cutting down to 20 if I end up with a lite (20 is the shortest I can go with my can).

tdbaugha

You might want to consider cutting it again with 9/16 threads. TBAC won’t warranty a can that was mounted to 1/2” threads on a .308” caliber barrel. I ran the question by dead air for my 300 wyb and they said minimum would be 9/16” threads. TBAC has a nice chart showing thread dimensions and minimum shoulder OD.

Bak222

I planned to do this with a t3x lite. Now I can’t find one in stock. Do you know if barrel diameter permits a 5/8-24

cfish4422

I planned to do this with a t3x lite. Now I can’t find one in stock. Do you know if barrel diameter permits a 5/8-24
Check with member LEO Outfitters, he had a t3x lite and t3x lite stainless in 300wsm for sale not long ago.

Bak222

Check with member LEO Outfitters, he had a t3x lite and t3x lite stainless in 300wsm for sale not long ago.
Thanks. I saw he had a few blued, I didn’t see any stainless. I found one anyhow, I was signed up for in stock notifications and just bought one today!