300 wsm barrel lengths

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I’m really considering getting a 20 inch barrel but I am worried about muzzle blast and lost velocity with factory ammo. I don’t really plan on hand loading and have barnes vortx 165 ttsx factory ammo. Am I right to worry about lost velocity and fireballs? I’ve tried researching but Ive been finding conflicting answers.

Use is moose and bear hunting yearly in Ak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never discount what an extra 4 inches will do for your performance.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Mine is 24in. It’s the shortest I would go to not lose velocity.
Why do you want to go shorter?

hiway_99

FNG
Mines got an 18" barrel. Couldn't tell you what kinds velocities I get out of it, since I've never shot it thru a chronograph. I also only shoot it suppressed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20" barrel Tikka getting 2960ish FPS with 175 LRX and 2770fps with 190gr Speer Impact. 200 ELD-x was a bit slow at 2660ish fps which calculates to a lot of drop at 500 yds. I'm still about 150fps faster than my 22" barrel (soon to be 18") 30-06 for the same weight bullet. WSM is very efficient in a shorter barrel. Works great for me with muzzle brake or suppressor.

archp625

WKR
I wouldn't be afraid to go shorter. I am loading 200.20X bullets in a 20" barrel and getting 2740 fps which is not pushing it. I can push it into the 2800's but would rather not. That round gets me to 750 yards on any game in NA. Right now my max is 500 yards on game so I am gtg.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Never discount what an extra 4 inches will do for your performance.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Mine is 24in. It’s the shortest I would go to not lose velocity.
Why do you want to go shorter?

Thanks everyone for the responses. Theres one in the classifieds I want to buy but for a custom price I want to make sure Im not making sacrifices I dont want to make

Thanks everyone for the responses. Theres one in the classifieds I want to buy but for a custom price I want to make sure Im not making sacrifices I dont want to make

If you feel you can punch a moose or a big brownie at 400 yards and drop him within 50 yards of the shot with a 20” barrel, then go for it.
I personally feel a little underpowered with my .300 WSM with a 24” barrel at 400+ yards on brownies and moose, and therefore would not take those shots. If it were a whitetail or a caribou, no problem.
I will defer to others with much more experience than me if they would recommend this caliber with the 20” barrel in Alaska on big game at long range.

Forgot to add… .300WSM ammo up here in AK has been scarce. Very little available past couple of years. I did see some on the shelf finally last week at Sportsmans in Anchorage, but only about 10 boxes of a brand I wouldn’t stick in my rifle unless I was completely out of ammo. And put a condom on each round.
Luckily I’m stocked up on Federal Fusion, which my rifle loves.

I’m really considering getting a 20 inch barrel but I am worried about muzzle blast and lost velocity with factory ammo. I don’t really plan on hand loading and have barnes vortx 165 ttsx factory ammo. Am I right to worry about lost velocity and fireballs? I’ve tried researching but Ive been finding conflicting answers.
We had a pretty good thread for reference a few years ago. While this was sharing barrel length when suppressed (because suppressor adds so much length and can become unwieldy), many guys have shorter barrels.

I ended up having Kimber cut my 300wsm barrel down a few inches (don’t actually remember now how much but think I ended about 21” before suppressor) and didn’t notice a massive difference in trajectory.

Then again, my hunting shots have maxed out at 400yds so far though my goal is to be capable to 500yds.