300 WSM - Do you feel handicaped?

frankrb3

WKR
Here are my sons first two kills with a 300 WSM 168 Berger both DRT.
Elk at 10 feet
6y7y5ave.jpg

Whitetail at 319
vy8una2e.jpg

Not to hijack this thread but what muzzle brake is on that tikka Ryan? Been thinking of having my tikka t3 light in 300wsm threaded for a terminator brake.

As for the OP question. I have never felt handicapped with the .300 WSM on deer, antelope or elk.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not to hijack this thread but what muzzle brake is on that tikka Ryan? Been thinking of having my tikka t3 light in 300wsm threaded for a terminator brake.

As for the OP question. I have never felt handicapped with the .300 WSM on deer, antelope or elk.

It's a defensive edge break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't feel handicapped until I read all the stuff that Broz posted on the 300 win 215 berger hybrid. Not sure I can stuff that bullet into my Kimber 8400 mag box. Want to try though. That data he has is awesome. Had I read that first I'd have gone Kimber win mag.

Your inbox is full. For the 215, to the lands is 2.29” from the ogive. I load them at 2.25” due to mag length. Shooting a FN PBR. 2770fps and consistently under 1/2 MOA.

A4981EA2-4625-48BE-A0B8-21B1C375A4D6.jpg

Vinootz

Banned
I've seen a couple bears and an elk get shot at over a 1000 yards with 210 Bergers. The 300 WSM a pretty cool round IMO.
These long shots I’ve read on this thread
(900 &1000 yards) seem a bit far for elk with a 300wsm. Does anyone else feel that way? I’m also wondering if those guys are that good or tried it a few other times and left some wounded game suffering out there. Is there enough velocity for proper bullet expansion, are there enough ft. lbs of energy left at that range? You rarely hear of the instances they don’t harvest game properly. Yet we know many of these long range characters are are leaving lots of wounded game out there.
THAT’S A FACT !!!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
(900 &1000 yards) seem a bit far for elk with a 300wsm. Does anyone else feel that way? I’m also wondering if those guys are that good or tried it a few other times and left some wounded game suffering out there. Is there enough velocity for proper bullet expansion, are there enough ft. lbs of energy left at that range? You rarely hear of the instances they don’t harvest game properly. Yet we know many of these long range characters are are leaving lots of wounded game out there.
THAT’S A FACT !!!

THAT'S A FACT with, bow, rifle or muzzleloader too. I would bet more elk are wounded with a bow, than elk wounded with a rifle shot passed 800 yards. A person has to know his/her limitations. But the 300 WSM with good handloads has enough velocity is kill an elk at 1000 yards.

Last edited:

Vinootz

Banned
THAT'S A FACT with, bow, rifle or muzzleloader too. I would bet more elk are wounded with a bow, than elk wounded with a rifle shot passed 800 yards. A person has to know his/her limitations. But the 300 WSM with good handloads has enough velocity is kill an elk at 1000 yards.
I would have thought 800 ft. Lbs of energy at 1400fps wouldn’t cut it. A hit in the vitals, no bone probably. But I was estimating at 1000 yards even a seasoned veteran might miss a few for every effective shot. I have no problem with long range hunters , as long as their percentage of harvests far outweigh the wounded, non recovered quarry.

Vinootz

Banned
I would have thought 800 ft. Lbs of energy at 1400fps wouldn’t cut it. A hit in the vitals, no bone probably. But I was estimating at 1000 yards even a seasoned veteran might miss a few for every effective shot. I have no problem with long range hunters , as long as their percentage of harvests far outweigh the wounded,non recovered quarry. To each his /her own I guess.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would have thought 800 ft. Lbs of energy at 1400fps wouldn’t cut it. A hit in the vitals, no bone probably. But I was estimating at 1000 yards even a seasoned veteran might miss a few for every effective shot. I have no problem with long range hunters , as long as their percentage of harvests far outweigh the wounded,non recovered quarry. To each his /her own I guess.

I agree those numbers are light and anyone shooting long better know their terminal ballistics. But a 300 WSM can do better than that. Justin on here is shooting 215 Berger’s at 2950. I know a few guys getting better speeds than that with 210s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
THAT’S A FACT !!!
The 300 WSM is more than capable of producing enough energy to kill elk at 1000 yards. Below you can see approximately what mine does at 6000 ft.

The actual FACT is that that range or weapon type has little to do with wounding animals. A person shooting outside THEIR max effective range with a given weapon is what leads to bad shots.

f6f239466d0a70ee26d147d0109f7116.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dude you're so far off with everything you've said that I almost have to assume you're just trolling. Rokslide is really due for a purge these days.
Energy is a stupid metric for lethality. Knowing what kind of wound channel a bullet creates at a given velocity is much better. For example, ELD M expand/fragment down to as little as 1500 fps. Conservative preliminary numbers for the 300 WSM I'm working on give me 1500 fps out at 1400 yards (at 7500 feet). I'd feel very comfortable with it on an elk at 1000.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

What do you think now about the 300wsm? I gather since you originally posted this question 6 years ago, you’ve learned or realized that a 300wsm can handily take a full grown moose at 600 yards. Hence it would do nearly as well as .30 long case calibers. And I mean ones like 30-378,300 RUM. And although not as powerful as those cartridges, would handle what you wanted to do with it. So did you catch anything good with the cartridge? Don’t mind me, I’m always trying to revive old threads about Winchester Short Magnum cartridges. I own two 325wsm rifles and may convert them to 300wsm one day. Everyone will just have to live with my necropost- lol.
Read post #21.

WCB

WKR
If you look at it from a factory loaded ammo standpoint it the identical in ballistics to a standard .300wm. reloading some differences come out but in general they are identical...There is nothing i wouldn't shoot with a 300WSM that I would with a 300WM

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of problems could be solved if people didn’t use “FACT” when they are giving an uniformed opinion.

My longest shot on game is 392 yards so I read these long range threads and try to learn and don’t offer my opinion. I do have a 300WSM and I have no idea how one could feel undergunned. I in fact built it when I passed up a shot on a big grizzly up in the Yukon when I felt slightly undergunned in the situation I was in with my .270.

16Bore

WKR
I’m swtiching to solids because they have more energy.