300 WSM vs 300 win mag

Chuckybmd

WKR
Wanted to gather some opinions on the virtues/vices of the 300 WSM.

When comparing it to 300 win mag, it seems to beat it in quite a few categories, slightly higher muzzle velocity, slightly less recoil can shoot similar bullet weights. Action length is shorter, which could allow a lighter rifle build.

Barring the ammo availability variable, why do most people skip over this cartridge?

I realize there are a significant number of new 30 cals on the block, so would also entertain discussion on why others are better than the two mentioned as well.

madcalfe

WKR
300wsm doesn't have higher muzzle velocity than 300wm
recoil is slightly less than 300wm but not by much cause most 300wsm are lighter
factory ammo is near impossible to find right now so is brass. and ammo will cost more than a 300wm
I have a custom 300wsm, i personally love short mags and would never get a 300wm over a 300wsm

ID_Matt

WKR
Definitely not higher muzzle velocity when comparing the same bullet weights. WM will always outrun the WSM. WSM can run in a short action but you'll generally be limited by the mag length to smaller bullets. I am not extremely well versed with a WSM but have a lot of experience with the WM. Need to decide how big of bullet you want to shoot and how fast, or if you are just using factory ammo then that is a whole different game.

300 WM has better brass options than WSM
WSM is handicapped in a short action if you want the most performance
300 PRC is a good one to look in to if you are wanting a long boomer

madcalfe

WKR
Definitely not higher muzzle velocity when comparing the same bullet weights. WM will always outrun the WSM. WSM can run in a short action but you'll generally be limited by the mag length to smaller bullets. I am not extremely well versed with a WSM but have a lot of experience with the WM. Need to decide how big of bullet you want to shoot and how fast, or if you are just using factory ammo then that is a whole different game.

ADG is making 300wsm brass now finally
just for reference for 300wsm velocities
24" barrel
H4350
180gr = 3025ish
190gr= 2950ish
4831SC
200gr= 2825ish

R26 will boost the speeds up as well
Hornady book is saying 3100fps at max loads for 180's using Superformance
which i just managed to pick up 2Lbs to try out
if your handloading the 300wsm is real easy to work with

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like the tables I was looking at didn’t have the same bullet weights as stated. Though the velocity’s are very similar.

Jmort1754

WKR
My dad shoots 212 ELDX pushed by win 760 out of his. It shoots itty bitty groups. 2725 fps out of a ridgline

I have a ton of Rem brass and will be buying some adg when it comes available. The 300 wsm is my favorite rifle cartridge even more so than my 6.5 and 300 prc.

They were both invented by the same company, decades apart. The WSM was introduced to correct inefficiencies of the old design.
The result was, a nearly identical trajectory, but with less gun powder, and with a shorter action. Noteworthy improvements, IMO.

I own both, and prefer the WSM, hands down every time. An elk trip later this year, the Win-mag will make the trip, but only as a back up, again.

ID_Matt

WKR
ADG is making 300wsm brass now finally
just for reference for 300wsm velocities
24" barrel
H4350
180gr = 3025ish
190gr= 2950ish
4831SC
200gr= 2825ish

R26 will boost the speeds up as well
Hornady book is saying 3100fps at max loads for 180's using Superformance
which i just managed to pick up 2Lbs to try out
if your handloading the 300wsm is real easy to work with
Forgot about the ADG, good point. I did not mean any negative about the 300 WSM. Just mean that extra 10 grains is generally always going to equal more velocity when comparing like weights. Another factor is how the certain chamber is throated. A short throat 300 WSM on a short action vs a 300 WM with a long throat is going to be a significant difference. My last 300 WM 26" was fairly easy 2950-3K with a 215.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
They were both invented by the same company, decades apart. The WSM was introduced to correct inefficiencies of the old design.
The result was, a nearly identical trajectory, but with less gun powder, and with a shorter action. Noteworthy improvements, IMO.

I own both, and prefer the WSM, hands down every time. An elk trip later this year, the Win-mag will make the trip, but only as a back up, again.
It just surprises me that it’s not more popular than it is especially for mountain hunting being able to get a lighter rifle without sacrificing much else.

ID_Matt

WKR
It just surprises me that it’s not more popular than it is especially for mountain hunting being able to get a lighter rifle without sacrificing much else.
The other short action mags have kinda stolen the WSM's thunder - SAUM and PRC. I think if most guys decide they want a 30 cal, they are aiming for big performance so usually go towards a 300 PRC,WM, RUM, Nos, etc. As far as lighter goes, the difference between a short action and long action weight wise is usually only 2 or 3 oz.

madcalfe

WKR
lots of people use them.

300 wsm on a medium action would be a good option : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree but I don't find the short action a hinderance.
I milled a notch in my feed ramp and run terminus mags, accept 2.98" COAL and feeds perfect

Srp

FNG
I love my 300 Win, so definitely biased. 300WM and 300WSM perform very similarly ballistically.

Here are my reasons for preferring the 300WM:

- the availability of factory ammo
- the variety of different bullets available in factory loads
- I just got back from hunting in Africa, and my PH as well as another hunter in camp had 300WMs. If my ammo had been lost I would have had many options
- the fact that 180 grain bullets are almost a standard. If you had to find ammo, it is likely that 180 grains would be available. Might not have to change your dope to much…
- I am in the process of ordering another lightweight custom rifle on a Remington 700 platform. The gunsmith said that 300WSM can have feeding issues in that platform (this is obviously second hand, but he said it is another reason to go with the 300WM)
- You only save a few ounces overall

With that said, if someone gave me a nice 300WSM, I wouldn’t sell it. :) I hope that is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They aren't that different from each other in performance. One thing to be careful with the 300wsm if you're handloading is OAL with whatever mag you'll be using. You may run into problems with high bc bullets, especially in something like a tikka action.

I bought a 300WSM when they were nearly new...Early 2000s.
I am a believer that a shorter powder column will have inherent accuracy benefits, I never thought I would want to shoot heavier than 180gr (Barnes are long for weight, my preferred bullet), and never wanted to reload a belted case.
Yes, ammo is hard to find but components are not and my old stock Tikka T3 just stacks tight groups no matter what I feed it.

B23

WKR
For a factory gun in 300 WSM the Tikka is a good option. With factory ammo how a 300 WSM Tikka comes, with its shorter OAL mags is fine, but, if you want to run the 200+ grain bullets with longer OAL to push the performance up then swapping to the longer bottom metal/mags and changing bolt stops is easy peasy and doesn't cost much. In a SA Rem 700 300 WSM build using a 3.100 Baney box, even with the 215-230's will get you plenty of length and performance.

IMO, a 30cal build where I don't want more than a 22in barrel the 300WSM is kind of a Goldilocks cartridge. If I were doing a 30cal build and using a 26in tube I'd skip past the 300Winnie and go with 300PRC or 30 Nosler.

I would not consider a WSM right now if you're not a handloader. Yes, they have some attributes that are preferable to the WM but those attributes don't come close to offsetting the lack of ammo availability right now. That was not the case in the recent past where ammo availability/cost was actually quite close but they aren't in the same ballpark now.

I think the popularity thing all comes down the name, "short", and how that word fits into the macho image.
Had it been introduced as "stout" or almost anything else, the Win-Mag would most likely be the one with hard to get ammo right now.