300gr Glue on Broadheads

ozyclint

WKR
What's available out there these days?
Abowyer- Has a 300gr glue on brown bear. Perhaps a bit wider (1 7/16") and thinner steel than I'd prefer for this intended use.

Tuffhead- 300gr glue on, I have a couple of these and they are what I based this arrow build upon but now they are unavailable. I like the width, thickness and the design how the ferrule extends to the tip. Not relying on the thickness of the blade only.

What else is out there?

I’m interested in your build, what are you topping off with a 300 grain point?

It goes on a steel adapter I make myself. It has a 23/64" 5 degree taper that suits the Tuffhead then steps down to a shank about 1" long that matches the OD of AXIS 400 shafts then steps down to a shank about 2" long that matches the ID of the shaft. The whole connection is covered with a 2020 Footing about 6" long. I think the adapter weighs around 300gr. I had photos but I can't find them.

Shot from a 70# border recurve.

Bishop is only company I can think of in that grain weight, they are all screw ins though.

Seems like a ridiculous amount of front weight for a 400 spine with a 70 lb recurve. Are you sure you’re not shooting a wet noodle? You’d probably have better performance as well as an easier search if you dropped down to a 200 grain head.

Yes I know it sounds crazy using a 400 spine with 600gr up front BUT the 6" footing makes the flexible portion only 24" long. That stiffens the dynamic spine dramatically!!
Essentially it's a 6" long point plus 3" BH on a 24" shaft.

The aim of the project is using the BH of highest structural integrity. Dropping to a 200gr head usually means thinner blades etc.
That is ridiculous, there are plenty of bomb proof 200s on the market. The glue in system is not nearly as robust as something like a Valkyrie with the center pin either.

3 blade Valkyrie? that's a no from me.

How many water buffalo have you hunted with a trad bow? How many water buffalo have you lost because of arrow failure?

I'd argue that two mating tapers (glue on BH on to BH adapter) is as strong as you can get. Look at Morse taper drills, steering ball joints etc.

The trouble with screw in's is they are only as strong as the shank, which is only the diameter of an AXIS HIT insert.
Unless the shank is larger in diameter than this, there is nothing gained with the centerpin Valkyrie idea.

Last edited:
Hopefully 300 grain glue on Tuffhead's will be in stock soon. I have been shooting the 300 grain North American Tuffhead screw on and they to are out of stock. You might check with Sirius directly to see when they expect more. They are the best broadheads I have found so far.

3 blade Valkyrie? that's a no from me.

How many water buffalo have you hunted with a trad bow? How many water buffalo have you lost because of arrow failure?

I'd argue that two mating tapers (glue on BH on to BH adapter) is as strong as you can get. Look at Morse taper drills, steering ball joints etc.

The trouble with screw in's is they are only as strong as the shank, which is only the diameter of an AXIS HIT insert.
Unless the shank is larger in diameter than this, there is nothing gained with the centerpin Valkyrie idea.
Not a water buff hunter. Anyways I think the surface area of the glue in is substantially less than what you get with a long insert. The LRP system that was borrowed from Firenock would work nicely since the ferrule actually closes over the shaft.

Back