.300WSM Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech (Which Bullets)

KLWild

FNG
Hey people, recently ordered a Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech in .300WSM. I wanted to get feedback from people on which bullets they like to use and why. I would like to use the Federal Berger TSX in 180gr as I have used these in my .270 and 7mm with great results. But if my gun doesn’t like them for whatever reason, I want good options to explore. I am pretty set on going for an all copper bullet, but am curious to hear what people have had good success with.

roymunson

WKR
Depends what you're going to hunt, but I plan on using 180 gr TTSX in my WSM this fall for big game. They're shooting good.

I don't know anything about the Hornady CX bullets, but hear good things about the Hammers.

You should be able to get something you like out of that lot.

Assume you're talking factory ammo based on the federal barnes ammo you referenced?

It looks like the federal loads are only TSX and not Tipped TSX (TTSX). Never used the originals but IIRC there was reports of them expanding less reliably than the tipped versions. I wouldn't be over eager to try them out.

IMO the 168 TTSX is probably the best TTSX option at sub 2.9" mag length but I don't see any factory ammo loaded in it. The TTSX/TSX 180s eat up a lot of powder space, you don't get much of a bump in BC for the added weight, and extra speed is more important than weight for terminal performance in monos. Barnes factory 165 might be a decent option for you or choice ammo if you are ok paying more https://choiceammunition.com/product-category/rifle/300-wsm/page/2/. None of these would be my first choice for handloads.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
Assume you're talking factory ammo based on the federal barnes ammo you referenced?

It looks like the federal loads are only TSX and not Tipped TSX (TTSX). Never used the originals but IIRC there was reports of them expanding less reliably than the tipped versions. I wouldn't be over eager to try them out.

IMO the 168 TTSX is probably the best TTSX option at sub 2.9" mag length but I don't see any factory ammo loaded in it. The TTSX/TSX 180s eat up a lot of powder space, you don't get much of a bump in BC for the added weight, and extra speed is more important than weight for terminal performance in monos. Barnes factory 165 might be a decent option for you or choice ammo if you are ok paying more https://choiceammunition.com/product-category/rifle/300-wsm/page/2/. None of these would be my first choice for handloads.
I did mean the Barnes, not Berger. And hand loads are an option, just need to find the right bullet. I’ll have to give them a look. And what is the IIRC? My understanding was that tipped bullets were less reliable with expanding fully, but I obviously have very limited experience and research.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
Depends what you're going to hunt, but I plan on using 180 gr TTSX in my WSM this fall for big game. They're shooting good.

I don't know anything about the Hornady CX bullets, but hear good things about the Hammers.

You should be able to get something you like out of that lot.
Picked up two boxes of the Hornady CX as it was my only option really. They market them as pretty weather resistant which is attractive, and they hold close to the same drop chart as my scope, so I am interested to see their performance.

gerry35

WKR
I did mean the Barnes, not Berger. And hand loads are an option, just need to find the right bullet. I’ll have to give them a look. And what is the IIRC? My understanding was that tipped bullets were less reliable with expanding fully, but I obviously have very limited experience and research.
If anything the tipped version of the Barnes bullet, the TTSX will be more reliable than the TSX version.
Picked up two boxes of the Hornady CX as it was my only option really. They market them as pretty weather resistant which is attractive, and they hold close to the same drop chart as my scope, so I am interested to see their performance.

While they don't have the CX bullet listed at Hodgdon (assuming you meant 180's) this will give you an idea of the different loads you can try for Hodgdon, IMR Winchester and Ramshot powders.