.308 Elk Hunters...What's Your Favorite Factory Load?

Stroudwf

FNG
I have used Hornady precision hunter else 178 gr. I have had great success. I chose them because the research I did on my Tikka t3x showed that they more commonly group the best. It proved correct (for me at least) I will continue to shoot them until I have an issue or it’s not shooting sub MOA anymore

2blade

WKR
My Weatherby shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with good ole 180 or 150 grain Remington Core-lokt's. Every elk I've shot with em so far has dropped in its tracks.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
My dad shoots 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent. I think that and the Trophy Bonded Tips are the best bullet design of all bullets.

Best of all worlds:
Bonded lead in the tip for expansiom
Ballistic Tip to help cut thru the wind
Solid copper shank at the bottom that it physically cannot pancake
Aerodynamic profile

Not knocking any of the other bullets, esp Bonded ones. But the TA also shoots sub-MOA clover leafs at 100 yds with my dad's. .308 and it's amazing to see.

For the .308, I'd also recommend watching what kenetic energy does at what range. A lot of guys want a minimum of 1500 ft/lbs of energy to effectively kill an elk. Plus you want whatever bullet your using to expand correctly at whatever velocity.

The literature (granted I know it's from the manufacturer) says the TA has 1503 ft/lbs at 400 yds.

Several other manufacturers say their 308 ammo is 1500 ft/lbs is 300 yds or 350.

So take that into consideration also.

DoubleA

FNG
I recently upgraded to a modern 7mm rem mag this past year but before that I killed my first five elk with a short barrel Remington .308 that my dad bought at a Michigan Ace Hardware in the early 80s before I was born. Had great success with the Hornady Precision Hunter - I think only one of them required a follow-up shot but I think the furthest shot of the bunch was a touch over 250 yds.