Looking for some caliber advice for elk

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I was fortunate enough to tag out with my bow 2 weeks into the season. Couldn't pass up a cow elk that walked in front of me when I have a 1 year old at home and limited time to hunt!

I've been thinking about my rifle setup. I currently shoot an older Interarms Mark X 7mm RM. It was a gift from my father-in-law so it will always be special. But I think it's time to get a different setup and let this gun be a special one that I can maybe hand down to my own son.

I had been set on getting a 308 with an 18/20" barrel and suppressing it. But recently, I've been reading more on the 7mm PRC and I'm liking what I see as a "do-it-all" gun for mule deer and elk. I don't reload (at least not yet) so ammo is certainly a consideration. I check the local stores regularly and 7 PRC seems to be consistently on the shelf, for the time being.

Do you all expect the 7mm PRC to be around for awhile? Is it really worth getting one given I already have the 7mm RM? Am I missing some other considerations?

Short answer is either will work. Can’t comment on how long the PRC fad will hang around but the 308 has been a “do all” cartridge long before the 7prc. You can walk into almost any outdoor store and find 308. Not sure about 7prc.

WRO

WKR
I shoot a 20” 6.5 prc that kills just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Get a 20” 7PRC and suppress that. It’s what I did. Gets you the handiness of the 308 with the reach of the 7PRC.
What’s the recoil like? I know the 7 RM is more than manageable but certainly more than a 308. I suspect a suppressed 7 PRC is pleasant to shoot?

None of the PRC's are going to fade away. They've essentially updated the standard to modern design and tolerances for a SAAMI spec offering at a velocity that makes sense. Get the cartridge you can handle the best and buy when they're on sale. I'll never choose a gun based on the availability of ammo at a gas station in BFE.

It’s certainly a contender because of ammo availability. But I do wonder if 7 PRC will get more over the next year or so.

As far as guns, I’m leaning towards either a Springfield Redline or Bergara squared crest
The prc will always have Hornadys backing but hard to say on others or how long it hangs around. So the question becomes - take the new kid or the old hand?

Again I don’t think either is a wrong answer.

hiker270

WKR
I am on the fence between a 6.5 PRC and a 7mm PRC. Leaning toward the 6.5 PRC since I have a 7mm Mag.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I am on the fence between a 6.5 PRC and a 7mm PRC. Leaning toward the 6.5 PRC since I have a 7mm Mag.
I considered that but I’m more or less retiring my 7mm RM as a family heirloom. So I figured the 7 PRC fills the void

PNWGATOR

WKR
I echo @ResearchinStuff’s advise above.

Start at the start. Figure out what you want to do and choose the correct bullet to kill efficiently and builds delivery system around that bullet.

Wrench

WKR
You'll get a lot of people telling you that you need a minimum cartridge....but typically that advice comes from poor hits or lack of experience.

The truth is you can kill elk farther than you will believe with nearly any headstamp. Bullet vs velocity is a more important study imo.

Between the 308 and the prc, you could afford to be an experienced rifleman by shooting 4x as much for even money and never wear your gun out doing it.

Buying a rifle that costs $5 bux a round typically means you're not going to shoot as much.

Food for thought.

mlob1one

WKR
.308 is a great old and proven cartridge. Ammo is ubiquitous, it'll be difficult to wear out that barrel.

If you're looking for a do all big game cartridge, my $.02 would be to consider the 300wm. Heaps of options on bullet weight, manufacturers, reloading ( if you go down that path), & ammo can be found everywhere as well.

While Hornady may support the 7mm prc moving forward forever, but will others? If you're looking to shoot it more than a couple times a year, it may get expensive.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Also depends on what your average shot distance is.

300 yards or less = tons of options

300-500 = less options

500+ = more range time, more ammo, more speciality gun items and THE LEAST AMOUNT OF options

Wrench

WKR
Also depends on what your average shot distance is.

300 yards or less = tons of options

300-500 = less options

500+ = more range time, more ammo, more speciality gun items and THE LEAST AMOUNT OF options

What's it take to kill an elk at 600yds?