308 Norma

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I just left my friends gun shop and he had done a estate clean out and has quite a few rare beauties. one was a 308 Norma looked like a Weatherby stock no markings Mark V style with the Mauser action interesting gun anyone know much about this weapon The only stamp was 308 Norma on the barrel

Attachments

• 31E6652A-6DEF-43CE-8CDE-F9A57E4B8291.jpeg
    31E6652A-6DEF-43CE-8CDE-F9A57E4B8291.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 32

Wapiti1

WKR
I'd need a lot more photos to tell you much. That stock style was popular in the 50's through 70's. The checkering is skip line, common at that time, and done by an amateur, IMO. That fleur de' Lis is not so good. If I had to guess, I'd say Bishop or Fajen stock done by a good amateur maker.

Commercial Mauser action with no thumb cut. I'd need more photos to ID the make on it. The bolt shroud being in the white makes me think FN.

Things to look at. Pull the action and see if the maker of the stock marked is at either the flat behind the recoil lug, or in the barrel channel. Look at the sides of the action tang and flat behind the recoil lug for any origin markings. Also check the underside of the bolt handle for markings.

.308 Norma is a .338 Win Mag necked down for the most part. Good cartridge just behind the .300 Win in oomph.

Cool rifle.

Jeremy

One of my hunting mentors owned an identical twin to that rifle back when I was an indentured servant on their family farm, vintage of rifle is probably mid 60’s /early 70’s as that’s when I was there.

It was a shooter so I would imagine that one is also. I witnessed him shoot a number of deer with it and they typically dropped in their tracks.

Wapiti one is definitely on the right track based on what I remember of that rifle , definitely a Mauser and FN rings a bell.

Unfortunately we’re about Six months late to get info from my guy as he just passed on.

I think you’ll be happy with it if you pick it up. A cool caliber on a classic action.

Last edited:
OP
BPollard

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
One of my hunting mentors owned an identical twin to that rifle back when I was an indentured servant on their family farm, vintage of rifle is probably mid 60’s /early 70’s as that’s when I was there.

It was a shooter so I would imagine that one is also. I witnessed him shoot a number of deer with it and they typically dropped in their tracks.

Wapiti one is definitely on the right track based on what I remember of that rifle , definitely a Mauser and FN rings a bell.

Unfortunately we’re about Six months late to get info from him as he just passed on.

I think you’ll be happy with it if you pick it up. A cool caliber on a classic action.
I keep thinking about it I don’t need it at all I have so many guns that are all of the spectrum around that one but it is cool piece of history