Recommend a 308/6.5

I have never understood people being un happy with the inability ro unload a rifle with the safety on. I've questioned it several times on here and no one has ever responded to it. For the life of my I can't thing of a single reason why I would need my safety on to unload a gun that is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction.

To the OP, Tikka or a Browning X Bolt would be my choice. Howas are nice but heavy.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I dislike them because I'm primarily a shotgunner, and learned with shotguns.

My habit is unloading a gun with safety on. It requires fighting muscle memory and habits to take the safety off to unload.

grfox92

WKR
I understand that the safety is not an issue to some but it is to me. One could argue that guns don't need a safety at all because people should just always point them in a safe direction, but stuff happens and the Tikka safety design is poor in my opinion. My kids shoot my guns as well and I won't own a pistol without a safety or a lever gun with only a hammer (no cross bolt safety).
I also prefer pistols with a thumb safety and will order one with it if they don't have one in stock. I get your point.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Does anyone know if the Sauer 100 Cherokee is the same weight as the XT?

Thank You!

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I have the 100 Atacama which was an exclusive with Sportsmans Warehouse.
Great looking rifle! What caliber and do you know how much it weighs? Looks like they only have it in 6.5 in stock at the moment.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
Great looking rifle! What caliber and do you know how much it weighs? Looks like they only have it in 6.5 in stock at the moment.
I have in in 6.5 PRC. Not sure exactly what it weights, but I think loaded with my 3-15SWFA scope it was right around 9lbs or so.

Reactions: BCD

Unckebob

WKR
This Winchester should be in your price range and hits the weight target. If you need a lighter rifle, I love my 308 Featherweight.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Probably not. Perhaps in extreme cold at sea level if shooting monos or high BC 180s. Sorry for bringing it up, I'm debating on if I want to spend money cutting and threading my Tikka, or get a new barrel and I'm wishing it was a 1:10.

Edit: the below is incorrect: end edit

The Tikka safety physically blocks the firing pin, which is why it locks the bolt. This is significantly safer than a safety that only blocks the trigger.

When unloading (or any time one is manipulating the action), the gun should consciously be pointed in a safe direction and one should consciously insure the trigger is clear. I would worry more about a gun that does not having a firing pin block with my kids as a dropped rifle is inherently out of ones control in the direction it points.

The safety on my Kimber has snagged brush resulting in an unsafe rifle. The Tikka safety is much less likely to have that happen and in my opinion is safer than the Kimber's 3 position safety in actual use.

I understand that the safety is not an issue to some but it is to me. One could argue that guns don't need a safety at all because people should just always point them in a safe direction, but stuff happens and the Tikka safety design is poor in my opinion. My kids shoot my guns as well and I won't own a pistol without a safety or a lever gun with only a hammer (no cross bolt safety).
@BCD
I have to correct myself, there is no physically possible way the safety on the Tikka blocks the firing pin. I pulled mine apart today to inspect how it works. I still like Tikka's, and will be keeping mine.

The part that holds the firing pin in the cocked position and drops to fire is physically blocked from dropping. However I see this as fundamentally different than a separate piece that blocks the firing pin.

The pin that locks the bolt only extends into the bolt body.

Reactions: BCD
Not what your looking for but my Browning BLR has been super sweet for carring and shooting at normal ranges......

Loper

WKR
I dislike them because I'm primarily a shotgunner, and learned with shotguns.

My habit is unloading a gun with safety on. It requires fighting muscle memory and habits to take the safety off to unload.
That is my habit too. I had a new rifle once that I had to take the rifle off safe to chamber a round. I took the gun off safe once, chambered the round in the field and forgot to put the rifle back on safe because I wasn’t used to having to do that. I hiked around for several hours and later realized my gun was in the fire position the whole time. It was my own fault, but that scared me pretty good and after that I wasn’t comfortable with the rifle. I sold it shortly after.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That is my habit too. I had a new rifle once that I had to take the rifle off safe to chamber a round. I took the gun off safe once, chambered the round in the field and forgot to put the rifle back on safe because I wasn’t used to having to do that. I hiked around for several hours and later realized my gun was in the fire position the whole time. It was my own fault, but that scared me pretty good and after that I wasn’t comfortable with the rifle. I sold it shortly after.

That means your subconscious is not controlling safety use- I.E., you will or have forgotten to put the safety on at some other point.

The route cause of this issue isn’t a bolt that can be run with the safety on or off, it’s that using safety isn’t a conditioned habit.

Loper

WKR
That means your subconscious is not controlling safety use- I.E., you will or have forgotten to put the safety on at some other point.

The route cause of this issue isn’t a bolt that can be run with the safety on or off, it’s that using safety isn’t a conditioned habit.
With all my other guns the only time I take a gun off of safe is when I shoot it, and then once it is fired it immediately goes right back on safe.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
With all my other guns the only time I take a gun off of safe is when I shoot it, and then once it is fired it immediately goes right back on safe.

That’s what you want to, and maybe do most of the time. But the reality of how our brains work is that by your description you aren’t not using the safety at a subconscious level, which means any disruption in your process and you can and will eventually forget to put it on. What type of rifle or gun you are using has absolutely zero to do with a safety being use for not.

This isn’t about safety type or being able to run the bolt without taking the safety off; it’s that what caused you to walk around with a chambered rifle off safe isn’t that the safety had to be taken off to chamber the rifle- it’s that your habituated response of how and when the safety is used has a broken or missing link.

The downside to being able to operate the bolt while on safe is the possibility for dense brush to cause your bolt to open.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you want Tikka reliability, accuracy, and repeatability long term, in short action form, buy a Sako. They size the actions and bolts to the chambering and are even a slightly smoother running action than the Tikkas are (at least on my model 75s and 85s).

It will come with many of the “upgrades” that guys make to Tikkas as well. Metal flush mount magazine, metal trigger guard, better stock options in some models, etc. Same cold hammer forged barrels as Tikka and they actually guarantee a 5 shot 1 MOA on them versus the Tikka where they guarantee 3 shots (all of my personal Tikkas and Sakos to the tune of over 13 rifles have been incredibly accurate and reliable rifles from the mighty little .204 Ruger all the way to .300 win mag).

I wouldn’t recommend any factory rifle other than a Tikka or Sako. Sounds like Sako fits your requirements if you can find one within budget.

rbaney

FNG
I like my Browning X bolts. I have two both newer and both have the bolt locked while in safe but, it can be overridden by pressing down on the tab that is on the bolt. Just some info for you to have. Good luck and no matter what you get be safe and have fun.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
The downside to being able to operate the bolt while on safe is the possibility for dense brush to cause your bolt to open.
While this is true it is less of an issue to me than loading and unloading with the safety off. The Tikka safety design is beyond piss poor.