350 Legend for Whitetails

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard a little bit about them but not too much, seems like a marketing scheme to me for all these states with making these type of cartridges legal, I will not be getting rid of my 450, lighter recoil and cheaper ammo isn't gonna be enough for me to switch, besides I like having a little more power anyway and I have seen what a 450 can do to a deer, very devastating gun, hopefully someone who knows more about the 350 can chime in.

Rich M

WKR
I chronoed my 357 mag load and it is shooting a 158 gr XTP FP at 1900-1925 fps. The results I've had on 12 deer have been great.

Still waiting for those .355 bullets to be available for handloading, then maybe. Funny how they made em 9 mm instead of .357 or .358. That's the marketing side of things.

Gliajo11

FNG
I have hunted with a guy who shot a deer with his 350 last season was really impressed with it!

Gdavis3rd

FNG
As for 350 legend uppers i am not too happy with my CMMG resolute 300 upper. Accuracy is so so... about 1.5-2 moa. But what is frustating is the feeding issues. Pretty sure its magazine related. They just mailed me two new mags to try. And its not just me, a friend has the full cmmg resolute 300 upper and lower and it has same issue. Winchester 150 feeds the best but still jams some. Hornady 170 american whitetail shoots the best groups but is a 1 or 2 shot rifle with the feeding jams. Ugh

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard a little bit about them but not too much, seems like a marketing scheme to me for all these states with making these type of cartridges legal, I will not be getting rid of my 450, lighter recoil and cheaper ammo isn't gonna be enough for me to switch, besides I like having a little more power anyway and I have seen what a 450 can do to a deer, very devastating gun, hopefully someone who knows more about the 350 can chime in.

I’m in the same boat a have a few buddies that were all excited about the 350 to me if recoil isn’t an issue why not go with the 450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I bought a Ruger American 350 Legend w 16 inch barrel. So far, happy with it - plan to shoot a deer or two with it before the season is out. Shoulda got a longer barrel, but will live.

Less recoil than 243 - can't tell you how much less - shot it and said, this is a bit less than my 243.
Lower end of muzzle blast scale

Zeroed at 50 yds, then to 100 then to 215 with little effort and was ringing steel with no problem. Did a 3-inch 3-shot group at 215 yards. Can't complain about that - was shot off bench using bipods without a rear bag. The guys who talk about 50 yard groups need to step out to 100 and then 200. These shoot well and don't need to be stuck in the shallow end of the pool.

Ringing the 8x8 steel square (held up by two 1-inch/400# nylon straps) - Some 158 gr Fury bullet reloads and Hornady factory 170s were moving the plate pretty well - a couple centered shots moved/swung it a good 12 inches back, and near the edge shots spun that puppy around quite a bit.

Win 145 ammo is 2330+ fps out of 16 inch barrel.
Horn 170 ammo is 2170 fps bracket.
Chrono was 10 ft from end of barrel.

Pulled a win 145 round and weighed 28 gr of a fine ball powder. Supposedly equivalent to 23 gr Lil Gun. I'm not so sure about that, but have loaded up 6 with the 145 bullet and 23 gr Lil Gun to verify.

These things take small rifle primers. I don't have any and no way are they available, so reloading with CCI small pistol primers. Winchester brass takes the primers more easily than Hornady brass. I broke 3 primers trying to force em into the Hornady brass. Not my favorite. Use the same primers in .357 mag rifle loads so know they'll work.

Trying 165 FTX and 158 Fury bullets - want a hunting load and bullet that will expand at lower velocities at 200+ yards. Hoping for initial velocities in the 2300-2400 bracket. Wish someone would SELL expanding 140-150 gr bullets for hunting. Rumor says that Winchester is not gonna be selling those 150 gr bullets for reloading.

They offer copper bullets in 125 gr and 150 gr that look like they'll do the job too.

Some guys shoot those Lehigh penetrator bullets at 2,800-3,000+ fps. Not sure how they'd work on a deer...