4 wheel in and then hike in?

judders87

FNG
I recently purchased a 4 wheeler and thought about using it on a solo elk hunt. I like to get away from the crowds so I was thinking I’d ride it in to wherever I could then hoof it from there. Just thinking if I should normally worry about leaving it in spots possibly for multiple days and if its worth doing or if I should just stick to hiking wherever I needed to be. Just thinking about the pros and cons.

P Carter

WKR
We do this in otc areas. Sometimes, to get away, it’s a long car ride, long four wheeler ride, then a hike. Never had an issue leaving the fourwheelers for days; just take the key, park where you’re not blocking the trail, check and confirm it’s open to motorized use.

OP
judders87

judders87

FNG
Ain't that what everybody with a four wheeler does? You won't be escaping 'crowds' if you're in an area that allows them .....
Yeah I'm thinking if it was worth going to a unit that allows them but try to extend myself out further than what people normally ride them do. Is it worth hauling if I drive in 2-3 miles and hike in an additional 4-5 or is it just as crowded at that point than picking a place where you have to hike 6-8 miles from the truck with no ATV trails.

If the area you plan on hunting has trails that are open to atv/utv just hunt all the stuff close to the road and save yourself the miles. Because as the others have stated most people think they need to get in as deep as possible so everybody else will be doing exactly what you're thinking and possibly driving past the elk. Personally, i don't think its worth it unless the roads are rough & washed out which makes traveling with the truck very slow. Then buzzing around from your camp to different access points with atv/utv can be beneficial.

OP
judders87

judders87

FNG
Your plan sounds like Tom, Dick, and Harry's plan.

They came up with it years ago. lol
Yeah, in my experience everyone I saw driving ATV's was driving back to the truck/camp everyday. I didn't see anyone take camp and leave their ATV's longer than a day. I'm kinda hemming and hawing at the idea of hauling an ATV if it will only save me a few hours of hiking in and out.

Last year, archery season, I borrowed a side by side and took it about 4 miles deep on this nasty jeep trail. Then I put camp on my back and set out to hike a bunch of miles and stay a few days. I killed an elk a quarter mile into that hike, before 10 AM. Was home that evening to put my kids to bed.

The elk are wherever the elk are. I also didn't see hardly any people. It was on a Tuesday. As I've thought about it, I think hunting during the week is a guys best strategy to escape the crowds.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's no different than guys driving their truck from base camp to wherever they need to get to, parking it, and then hiking in from there. I do that every day elk hunting. Same for ATV's, except perhaps they're taking it on ATV trails if allowed.

wytx

WKR
The atv will be a bit faster and easier to navigate in the rough narrow FS roads, they work great for what you are talking about and saves on wear and tear on your truck.
Some roads we use I would not take a vehicle down except for an atv, big deep mud holes and rocky roads make for issues in a full size vehicle.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Would save a lot of wear on your truck.
And yes, I would do it.
I might would even camp at my 4 wheeler
and branch out, looking at different areas each day.

Jethro

WKR
ATV can be a valuable tool. They don't get you away from crowds though. They are a mode of transportation that maybe faster than your truck and handle roads/trails that you wouldn't want to take truck on. They get you to your starting point. Same whether its a 1/2 day, full day, or multiple day hunt. Lots of people do it.

I have left an ATV parked 2-3 days and never had any vandal issues. Stash bow case and helmet in some nearby brush, pull the key, and go hunt.

OP
judders87

judders87

FNG
ATV can be a valuable tool. They don't get you away from crowds though. They are a mode of transportation that maybe faster than your truck and handle roads/trails that you wouldn't want to take truck on. They get you to your starting point. Same whether its a 1/2 day, full day, or multiple day hunt. Lots of people do it.

I have left an ATV parked 2-3 days and never had any vandal issues. Stash bow case and helmet in some nearby brush, pull the key, and go hunt.
Yeah I thought about if bringing things like a bow case and helmet would be worth them getting potentially swiped if I’m gone. If water was an issue maybe having a reserve loaded in case.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I think its a good plan. IMO, walking/camping a few miles from where you park the ATV will get you away from 99% of the guys that walk in from the road and away from 80% of the guys walking from their ATVs.