Stranded after fly-in hunt prior to winter…

WoodBow

WKR
Can't be any worse than the North Face Cat's Meow. I'd bet money. Pesos even.
Probably better than the $30 Magellan bag from academy that I took on my first elk hunt. I didn't even take a pad because I thought those were for people to soft to sleep on the ground....

When I say I really enjoy my WM bag now, it's with full perspective.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
The hike out of Andes to save the rest has to be the ultimate in human survival. 30+ miles, all mountains, no gear, after 2 months being stranded.

Here is the full kit they were running. Looks like Canessa went with merino while Nando chose some type of soft shell.

Would love to say “oh I could do that”. But who the hell knows.

IMG_2594.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
This is not true.

None of these guys and one girl are/were the chubbiest.
I only watched a few of the shows, but the season 5 winner was pretty open about his extra weight helping him outlast the others. I was really disappointed to see the show was essentially who could withstand starvation the longest and stopped watching.

TaperPin

WKR
So what gear does a drop camp hunter take with him on a very long walk to he nearest village? I must have been dreaming about this because this morning my shoulders apparently hurt from packing that 15 lb tent, big fluffy bag, extra thick pad, and way too much moose meat. Lol

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
Id pack my bag with my puffy clothes, a knife, a lighter, food and a portion of the rain fly from the tent.

Kindof an interesting scenario really.

Id pack my bag with my puffy clothes, a knife, a lighter, food and a portion of the rain fly from the tent.

Kindof an interesting scenario really.
I would add something brightly colored and something that would reflect sunlight, mirror, shiny piece of metal, ect. To signal from ground to air...Takes a minute to get enough smoke rolling to be seen from the air.

WCB

WKR
I get there are places where hiking is near impossible or potentially is. But not sure I am getting the guys who think going 50 miles would take a week or two? Not hike much or what? Yes again I can admit there could be a river you can't cross...But lets take the extremes out of it and just think in most situations long distance travel is not blocked and we are not talking about 3ft of snow just fell and it was blowing like crazy.

OPs comment was Sept in Ak worried about the potential of snow and winter coming...then we find out he was 80miles from a village with no mention of giant climbing gear required mountains or raging rivers....If you can't walk 80miles in less than a week.....hmmmm. I'll give you the full 7 days if you want but still.

wyosam

WKR
I get there are places where hiking is near impossible or potentially is. But not sure I am getting the guys who think going 50 miles would take a week or two? Not hike much or what? Yes again I can admit there could be a river you can't cross...But lets take the extremes out of it and just think in most situations long distance travel is not blocked and we are not talking about 3ft of snow just fell and it was blowing like crazy.

OPs comment was Sept in Ak worried about the potential of snow and winter coming...then we find out he was 80miles from a village with no mention of giant climbing gear required mountains or raging rivers....If you can't walk 80miles in less than a week.....hmmmm. I'll give you the full 7 days if you want but still.

I’d say it depends a lot on what those 80 miles look like. Could be very doable, could be very not doable, without getting into “extremes” of Alaska terrain/weather. If you came in prepared for a ridge top hunt, but need to cross 80 miles of spruce swamps on foot to get out, it’s going to be a very long and wet 80 miles. Even with good waders, new at the start, I’d plan on being very wet for much of that. Also guessing 80 crow (or bush plane) miles, which is going to grow exponentially on foot. Lots of places it’s doable, lots of places it’s not. In much of the state, I’d much rather need to travel 80 miles on foot in the winter than in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
It’s hard not to be curious about long distance bushwhacking - there are a lot of blogs about hardcore backpackers who enjoy avoiding trails - even in mixed, relatively difficult thick/wet/overgrown coastal areas it seems 5 to 10 miles a day and 50 miles a week is considered normal, so not all that different from what a hunter in good shape would do getting to a camp in the Rockies. Alaska could be something easy or hard.
186C91B8-339E-4214-93FF-FD887FE5BA5C.jpegC6F5CF28-BBB2-441E-9F7A-4D2130544A70.jpeg

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail it to much with "Alone" talk but....Clay Hayes was definitely not a fat ass at the start when he won.

wyosam

WKR
It’s hard not to be curious about long distance bushwhacking - there are a lot of blogs about hardcore backpackers who enjoy avoiding trails - even in mixed, relatively difficult thick/wet/overgrown coastal areas it seems 5 to 10 miles a day and 50 miles a week is considered normal, so not all that different from what a hunter in good shape would do getting to a camp in the Rockies. Alaska could be something easy or hard.
View attachment 663251View attachment 663252

Even the second doesn’t look bad- not the bad I’m thinking of anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 663251View attachment 663252
Look up the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic

WoodBow

WKR
Shackleton would say it's possible!

I'll have to lookup the rugby team story referenced above.
Frank Glaser would too. The distance people traveled in his book "Alaskas wolfman" is insane.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Look up the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic
“July 2009 The original adventure race. 180 miles in 3 days 17 hours across the Hayes Range by foot and packraft, on just 2 hours of sleep. First place.”
That’s pretty cool. The racers definitely treat it like a competition - they fly over the course, print out satellite photos, and enter gps coordinates for everything. Quite a race.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
“July 2009 The original adventure race. 180 miles in 3 days 17 hours across the Hayes Range by foot and packraft, on just 2 hours of sleep. First place.”
That’s pretty cool. The racers definitely treat it like a competition - they fly over the course, print out satellite photos, and enter gps coordinates for everything. Quite a race.

Packraft is definitely easy mode if you have one and can get to a river.

S.Clancy

WKR

Well, it took us over an hour to go 400 yds DOWNHILL thru an alder thicket the last time I was in AK. Granted, we had big packs, but the veg up there can be pretty messed up.

TaperPin

WKR
Not to derail it to much with "Alone" talk but....Clay Hayes was definitely not a fat ass at the start when he won.
I hadn’t seen that season, but it was fun reading about it - that’s awesome he was able to kill a deer and some other critters.

He did say he gained 20 lbs prior to the start.