Stranded after fly-in hunt prior to winter…

So I was laying in bed last night with my second round of Covid and I got to thinking about my recent trip to Alaska. We flew in and were dropped off in early Sept. I got to thinking, what in the world would we do if all backup extraction plans failed, communication wasn’t answered, batteries dead, etc.

With two people, a tent, September-time gear, and packed-in supplies running short… I couldn’t help but put the odds of survival until spring at about 0.0%, give or take 0% here or there. We would certainly try, but I just can’t come up with a scenario in which it works. Especially in tundra line we were in. There’s just not enough time or material to make any kind of structure or procure adequate food and heat supply.

Curios what others think.

CorbLand

WKR
Are we talking a total world melt down while you are back there type situation? Thats the only way I could see a scenario where someone wouldnt come and get you eventually.

If that is the case, there is no way you are making it back to Florida so you might as well figure out how to make a living where you are.

mjh

FNG
I know someone that this happened to on a Caribou hunt in Alaska.

Storm/weather grounded all flights for several days. Once flights resumed they were forgotten about.

They moved camp to a lake that had a cabin. Ran out food. Ran a fire all day long to have smoke. Eventually a pilot saw the smoke and investigated. No one was looking for them. The smoke was where there should have been none. Pilot landed at lake. Take out plane came in the next day.

My friend was an experienced hunter and wilderness traveler. Could happen to anybody.

CorbLand

WKR

Storm/weather grounded all flights for several days. Once flights resumed they were forgotten about.

They moved camp to a lake that had a cabin. Ran out food. Ran a fire all day long to have smoke. Eventually a pilot saw the smoke and investigated. No one was looking for them. The smoke was where there should have been none. Pilot landed at lake. Take out plane came in the next day.

My friend was an experienced hunter and wilderness traveler. Could happen to anybody.
Out of curiosity, how many days until the pilot found them and did their families not start making phone calls?

OP
P
Start hiking. You should definitely know which direction to get to a road.

I could hike a long ways in a week or two.
Would be a tough call trying to decide when to pull the trigger on leaving your last known location. Nearest village for us would have been about 80 miles. Also be tough to decide what to pack and what to ditch.

mjh

FNG
Out of curiosity, how many days until the pilot found them and did their families not start making phone calls?
It's been a while since I've talked with my old friend. He is elderly now with health problems. His honesty and integrity have never been in question.

I would suppose that even though this was several decades ago now that yes loved ones would eventually reach out to outfitters--air services--authorities.

I always let someone know my plans and if you don't hear from me by dates make some calls....

CorbLand

WKR
It's been a while since I've talked with my old friend. He is elderly now with health problems. His honesty and integrity have never been in question.

I would suppose that even though this was several decades ago now that yes loved ones would eventually reach out to outfitters--air services--authorities.

I always let someone know my plans and if you don't hear from me by dates make some calls....
I am not questioning the truth of the story. I am just curious as to how long they were left there.

If they were supposed to be picked up Monday and found Wednesday, that would make some sense. It wouldnt make sense if they were left there for more than a week. I feel like someone should/would have made a call by that point.

My wife is pretty relaxed. She doesnt worry to much about me when I go out by myself but if I was supposed to be home or have called her Monday and I hadnt by Wednesday, she would be making some calls.

That is why I am curious as to the time frame.

mjh

FNG
Understood.

I do know at the time the guy was making a lot of trips to a lot of places. Perhaps his spouse was used to late or unspecified returns. Perhaps inquiries were made. This was before the days of the internet, cell phones, instant access. Perhaps maybe before satellite phones--or they just weren't a common item of use.

It's been a while in my own memory but I recollect that they were at least a week late or more in being picked up.

WCB

WKR
Would be a tough call trying to decide when to pull the trigger on leaving your last known location. Nearest village for us would have been about 80 miles. Also be tough to decide what to pack and what to ditch.
80 miles? I thought you were out in the middle of nowhere....After 3 or 4 days of good weather and no communication, fly by, etc. I would have burned boot leather to the village. Depending on terrain and obstacles and how long you hiked each day that is a 3-4 day hike if not shorter if you really get after it.

Leave a note in your last known location with some kind of indicator so if someone lands and looks around they find the note. "we head towards X village on 9/15/2023 at 10am." The find note fly heading towards village and spot you or you beat them to the village and point is moot. Ditch anything not vital to the trip. Keep rain gear, shelter, sleeping bag, and food. Any creature comforts brought "because we have a plane". get left/stashed and can be picked up at a later date.

TaperPin

WKR
The rule of always letting someone know your itinerary and location is a life saver - if you are over due they come looking. Alaska is cross crossed with aircraft flights, so a mirror to shine at the plane is a must have to signal. I’ve had a friend see a mirror flash 10 miles away. Eperbs are cheap, often available to rent, or even borrow for free from some sherif departments.

. . . all these things and more are covered in a basic survival class.

The odds of surviving an entire winter are not good at all, essentially zero, especially if there wasn’t enough fore thought to understand the absolute basics that got you into this pickle. Walking out of the bush rather than waiting for someone to come looking for you also violates basic survival 101.

Having said all that, the Darwin Award is alive and well to take people out of the gene pool who have poor decision making skills.

CorbLand

WKR
Understood.

I do know at the time the guy was making a lot of trips to a lot of places. Perhaps his spouse was used to late or unspecified returns. Perhaps inquiries were made. This was before the days of the internet, cell phones, instant access. Perhaps maybe before satellite phones--or they just weren't a common item of use.

It's been a while in my own memory but I recollect that they were at least a week late or more in being picked up.
Interesting. I can see how it could happen, especially before some of the modern communication devices we have now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I'd sue the company for free fly in flights for life with priority over paying customers. Or sue them for every last cent and take their planes and do my own flying.

Wrench

WKR
I was working at the seaplane base in Anchorage when 911 happened. The air taxis were shut down for a few days.....bluebird days. When they lifted the fly restrictions some places were socked in.

I asked the pilot at Rusts how he planned to not get killed by the clients. He had copies of the paper taped to the window.

With the moose camp we bring in the scenario presented we could survive however long a body can live off a mostly moose meat diet. I realistically don’t think a whole winter would be an issue as long as the body didn’t shut down from nutrient deficiencies.

I have read accounts of early ice and helis finally being approved to pull hunters. I’d imagine that stalled people numerous days. In that event, any transporter worth their business license would be doing supply drops. I’ve also read 9/11/01 accounts where guys sat in camp for 3 days waiting with no communication and noticing that no planes were flying. I wish I saved the article. One man had shot a moose that rot and he ran out of food. Three days after scheduled pickup and sitting confused in beautiful weather he stated was ready to beat the pilot to a pulp when he finally pulled up.