450 Bushmaster for deer? Which one

TauPhi111

WKR
A point to think about..here in Ohio i think if you hunt with a rifle you are limited to 2 rounds in the mag, whereas with a pistol you are not. I am thinking about building an AR in either 450 or 350 for hunting Ohio where I live, but if I do, I am seriously considering it being a pistol, not only so I can have more than 2 rounds in the mag, but also for compactness and weight. Not all of Ohio is farmland and there are woods that are as thick as anything you'll find in PA or anywhere else in the east.

I'm waiting until the 350 comes out and is around for a while to see what loads and bullets become available. I don't see why they made it 357 rather than 358 to take advantage of all the existing rifle bullets out there for rounds like the 35 Rem and 358 WIn. It made no sense to me why you make a round that touts being fast, but make it the diameter for 357 mag bullets. I am speculating it is so winchester has a monopoly on loads and bullets, but that doesn't seem like a good plan for success of the round. What components become available, bullets especially, will determine my decision. I'm trying to determine now if the CEB 160 ad 180 maximus bullets would be safe to fire through a 357 bore since they are mostly bore rider anyway.

Rich M

WKR
I don't have any comments on the .450 - see what the ballistics look like and compare to other legal calibers before you buy.

I may have some insight for the 350 Legend cause I load and shoot 357 mag in a rifle. I compared the powder volumes and there isn't much diff - my loads actually have more powder.

For the folks who don't understand why they didn't do .358 - the 350 legend will only work with handgun class bullets - soft, easy to expand - due to the low velocity.

Put a real bullet in there and the velocity isn't high enough to promote reliable expansion in all situations - especially those 200 yard shots they are pushing. A real bullet would be better if shooting a deer thru the shoulders tho.

Load my 357 mag rifle loads with a compressed 357 maximum volume of powder and a 158 gr xtp bullet - it shoots inside an inch at 100 yards and drops deer in their tracks 11 out of 12 times. See it as a very capable 100-yard deer gun. Prefer to hunt with it over my 30-06 or 243 rifles, but only where the shots are inside 100-125 yards.

Waiting for those pointy 150 gr .357 bullets to be available for reloading. Then will try them and see how they work out of the 357 mag.

I'm looking forward to trying the 350 Legend - might need to add another gun to the collection. Only after reloading components are available tho.

OP
TonySkyline
I ended up getting a 450 Bushmaster savage wolverine. Basically stole it on gunbroker or i would've went the AR route. Should have it in a few days. Any ideas on a reliable and consistent ammo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the ruger American 450 with a Boyd’s thumbhole stock, top it with a leupold mark 2 cds scope. It’s a sweet shooting gun.

I agree with Creed on this. Ruger with a Leopold CDS scope. Brother has one and it is a deer killing machine!

Im currently a .444 in Ohio. Its a nice gun but Im not all that fond of lever guns. I may try the .35 Legend but sort of waiting for a few years to see how it goes and if there are more bolt actions offered.
It doesn't have to live up the ballistic hype for me it just needs to kill deer at ranges I shoot in Ohio (10-100yards) with low recoil and in a light weight package.
If I was to go 450 BM I would go with a bolt gun.

OP
TonySkyline
I got the wolverine now and i can tell you it is a SOLID rifle. I mean SOLID. I will post some pics and a review, need to get some ammo asap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BravoKilo

FNG
Ruger American all day.

I did an AR build in .50 Beowulf years ago and while it was a fun build and fun to shoot, the dang thing weight in at around 10 pounds... not something you want to hike through the woods with.

Sold the .50 Beowulf upper and turned around to get a Ruger American .450 for $400 out the door. Threw a 1-4x Vortex on it and was shooting 3/4-inch groups with factory Hornady Black loads. Amazing value for the gun, light weight and easy to carry, and does what you need it to do.

After dragging around a crossbow for a month and a half my ar 450 bushmaster ain’t bad. I use a single point sling and I like the collapsing stock for when I have layers on I can extend or retract as needed. I’m usually so happy to be out hunting and not at work I don’t care what it weighs.

Usi05

WKR
I have a Ruger American .450 that shoots under an inch. It’s the stainless model with a 22 inch barrel. I don’t think the recoil is bad and mine doesn’t have a brake on it.
Seems like everyone in the shotgun zone of lower Michigan has a 450 of some sort now.

Everyone but me! Finally going to snag one this year and found this thread very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Ruger American 450. It's my go-to for straight walled ohio and PA urban counties. I have never had a deer move more than 10 yards. Most don't move 10 inches.

My RA shoots 3" groups at 100 yards (with a rest) and I'm not a skilled marksman by any means

Rich M

WKR
I don't have any comments on the .450 - see what the ballistics look like and compare to other legal calibers before you buy.

I may have some insight for the 350 Legend cause I load and shoot 357 mag in a rifle. I compared the powder volumes and there isn't much diff - my loads actually have more powder.

For the folks who don't understand why they didn't do .358 - the 350 legend will only work with handgun class bullets - soft, easy to expand - due to the low velocity.

Put a real bullet in there and the velocity isn't high enough to promote reliable expansion in all situations - especially those 200 yard shots they are pushing. A real bullet would be better if shooting a deer thru the shoulders tho.

Load my 357 mag rifle loads with a compressed 357 maximum volume of powder and a 158 gr xtp bullet - it shoots inside an inch at 100 yards and drops deer in their tracks 11 out of 12 times. See it as a very capable 100-yard deer gun. Prefer to hunt with it over my 30-06 or 243 rifles, but only where the shots are inside 100-125 yards.

Waiting for those pointy 150 gr .357 bullets to be available for reloading. Then will try them and see how they work out of the 357 mag.

I'm looking forward to trying the 350 Legend - might need to add another gun to the collection. Only after reloading components are available tho.
I just wanted to update - I did get the 350 Legend. Nice gun, hardly any recoil, shoots 0.58 at 100 yards, 1 inch at 200 yards w 165 gr FTX bullets. Killed 2 deer with it so far. Also have the 357 mag shooting 8 inch steel at 200 yards with those pointy bullets too. Life is good.

The 450 should be a real deer flattener.

I have a CA Mesa 450 BM and it shoots sub moa in everything I put down the rifle mostly Barnes and Hornady Black.
Here is the first deer I killed with it on public this past season , I have had the gun for 3 years and love it , but never seen anything worth shooting till this last season but I’d say it’s a keeper.

Attachments

• CC0BC5DE-7E93-4A6D-BDED-6AE022B2E9C9.png
    CC0BC5DE-7E93-4A6D-BDED-6AE022B2E9C9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

IW17

FNG
I have a CA Mesa 450 BM and it shoots sub moa in everything I put down the rifle mostly Barnes and Hornady Black.
Here is the first deer I killed with it on public this past season , I have had the gun for 3 years and love it , but never seen anything worth shooting till this last season but I’d say it’s a keeper.
Wow👍

KenLee

WKR
Awesome buck. That's alot of bone!!!

IW17

FNG
You got a shot of the other side? That double main is bad@ss.

You got a shot of the other side? That double main is bad@ss.
He actually had another beam coming off that side that he broke off, I don’t know what was there because I never had trail cam pics of him, but you can see in second pic there was something big he broke off.
He is my biggest buck to date and I’m thrilled, but I will always wonder what was there lol.
Another cool thing he was blind on his right side so I’m going to have my taxidermist put a blind eye in when he mounts him.

Attachments

• 49331427-A0CC-4526-9407-B0838FEE08B4.jpg
    49331427-A0CC-4526-9407-B0838FEE08B4.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 12
  • C0147831-E33E-4579-B141-6D91535DC4D3.jpeg
    C0147831-E33E-4579-B141-6D91535DC4D3.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 12

IW17

FNG
He actually had another beam coming off that side that he broke off, I don’t know what was there because I never had trail cam pics of him, but you can see in second pic there was something big he broke off.
He is my biggest buck to date and I’m thrilled, but I will always wonder what was there lol.
Another cool thing he was blind on his right side so I’m going to have my taxidermist put a blind eye in when he mounts him.
That's an amazing buck. I love character. Funny story, my good buddy has killed two bucks in the last three seasons that were missing an eye. The joke around camp is he can only kill one if he catches them on their blind side. 🤣