450 Bushmaster for deer? Which one

rootacres

WKR
Coming from a guy that originally built an AR upper. Id say go with the bolt gun. The AR, while it has a cool factor, they are heavy and loud. Everything is metal, everything clanks and tings on it. An option you don't have on your list is the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. It's a 16" 450 that sits on their M77 MII action. I threw a Trijicon Accupoint on mine. I have no plans to change.

KenLee

WKR
Coming from a guy that originally built an AR upper. Id say go with the bolt gun. The AR, while it has a cool factor, they are heavy and loud. Everything is metal, everything clanks and tings on it. An option you don't have on your list is the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. It's a 16" 450 that sits on their M77 MII action. I threw a Trijicon Accupoint on mine. I have no plans to change.
The Gunsite seems well built and handy with short barrel. I only ended up with the Ruger "Ranch" because it had the same barrel, half price, and has the safety where God intended it to be on a bolt rifle. Shoots fine for what it is.

Those are great guns, that’s what I started out with, but the muzzle blast on the brakes that Ruger put on them are deafening loud.

KenLee

WKR
Those are great guns, that’s what I started out with, but the muzzle blast on the brakes that Ruger put on them are deafening loud.
I took my brake off and bought a $12 thread protector off Amazon.
My cheap Ruger Ranch BM only weighs less than 7 pounds scoped and doesn't kick bad. I think the rifle was 5.5 pounds with scope base.

I took my brake off and bought a $12 thread protector off Amazon.
My cheap Ruger Ranch BM only weighs less than 7 pounds scoped and doesn't kick bad. I think the rifle was 5.5 pounds with scope base.
I really don’t understand why Ruger put those muzzle brakes on those guns, the 450 bm barely kicks …

I shot it 3 times with a Ruger Scout 450 BM while deer hunting and lost my hearing in my left ear for 3 days…never again, I sold that gun shortly after, but I did get the buck lol

KenLee

WKR
I shot it 3 times with a Ruger Scout 450 BM while deer hunting and lost my hearing in my left ear for 3 days…never again, I sold that gun shortly after, but I did get the buck lol

I burst my left eardrum after the 3rd shot out of an elevated stand from my 30-06 BAR with BOSS factory brake. I slung the week old BAR out of the stand from 25 ft up. Never touched the rifle again. My brother drove down the powerline to get me, 2 deer and the rifle. He hunted with it for probably 5 years before it got him. This was 25 years ago and the BAR had "Kanes rifle chaps" on it. Only scratched the barrel and scope a little. At the time, I wouldn't have cared if it broke in half.

rootacres

WKR
The Gunsite seems well built and handy with short barrel. I only ended up with the Ruger "Ranch" because it had the same barrel, half price, and has the safety where God intended it to be on a bolt rifle. Shoots fine for what it is.
I bought mine for $450. I think someone on gunbroker screwed up and thought it was an American or something. The safety was a new process for me. After owning it and getting some reps I don’t mind it. I’ll still take a traditional rem 700 safety but this one works.

KenLee

WKR
I bought mine for $450. I think someone on gunbroker screwed up and thought it was an American or something. The safety was a new process for me. After owning it and getting some reps I don’t mind it. I’ll still take a traditional rem 700 safety but this one works.
Great buy on that one!

rootacres

WKR
I am sold. It’s such a pleasure to carry around in the deer woods. Those little compact packages are real nice. You’re not wrong on the brake. In the open woods it’s not bad. I shot it on the ground next to a tree line once with no ear pro. That was a mistake. If I whitetail hunted in some of these rifles zones of MI or WI I’d probably have a similar rifle setup in a .308 or 7-08.

IW17

FNG
I really don’t understand why Ruger put those muzzle brakes on those guns, the 450 bm barely kicks …
I agree with you personally, but to the general public that hasn't been shooting large caliber rifles and shotguns, the caliber can be a bit of a thumper. But still, I hate breaks. A thump on the shoder is better than permanent hearing loss. My buddy bought a ruger ar15 for our pig hunt last month. It came with a break instead of the standard a2 flash hider. Holy crap that thing is rediculous. It's uncomfortable to shoot next to him. It's the closest thing to getting shocked with a defibrillator that I can think of. You can darn near feel you heart skip a beat when the blast hits you. Why would they put a break on a 556? Recoil is about as non existent as possible.

Bergara makes the best 450 on the market right now with the B14 platform. I'd say go with the bolt gun for accuracy and ability to suppress down the road. Your other options would work just fine though.

I shoot a 350 legend myself. My group and I have taken probably 3 dozen deer with them over the last few years. Great round within 150 yds with federal blue box 180 grns. Not trying to steer away from your 450 but I've never felt under gunned and have no reason to upgrade. I did wish they made the Bergara in a 350 though. Those Bergaras are some SHOOTERS.

Bergara makes the best 450 on the market right now with the B14 platform. I'd say go with the bolt gun for accuracy and ability to suppress down the road. Your other options would work just fine though.

I shoot a 350 legend myself. My group and I have taken probably 3 dozen deer with them over the last few years. Great round within 150 yds with federal blue box 180 grns. Not trying to steer away from your 450 but I've never felt under gunned and have no reason to upgrade. I did wish they made the Bergara in a 350 though. Those Bergaras are some SHOOTERS.
I looked at buying one before I bought my Christiansen arms and they only come in a blued finish at the time. Not sure if anything has changed, the Christiansen arms are stainless guns with a ceracoat finish and the bolts are nitrate coated so they will never rust, also they are threaded as well so you can suppress them if you decide to go that route down the road or use a muzzle brake.

I looked at buying one before I bought my Christiansen arms and they only come in a blued finish at the time. Not sure if anything has changed, the Christiansen arms are stainless guns with a ceracoat finish and the bolts are nitrate coated so they will never rust, also they are threaded as well so you can suppress them if you decide to go that route down the road or use a muzzle brake.
Can't go wrong with Christiansen...they make great rifles. I think Bergara has some more options now. No bad choice with either. Great companies.

OP
TonySkyline
I have a CA Mesa 450 BM and it shoots sub moa in everything I put down the rifle mostly Barnes and Hornady Black.
Here is the first deer I killed with it on public this past season , I have had the gun for 3 years and love it , but never seen anything worth shooting till this last season but I’d say it’s a keeper.

Hell of a buck! What scope are you rocking on that mesa? I’m thinking of going with a leupold freedom with cds or maybe an lpvo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two 450s one is on an ar platform the rifle shoots well it is glassed with a 4 power Leupold does very good, the other is a Mossberg Patriot it is glassed with a Leupold 3x9x40 VX freedom with a ballistic reticule regulated to the Hornady black ammo, hole cutter at 100 yards. Added a GLFA break to it nice looking rifle and did not break the bank.