5 lb 5 oz Backcountry Rifle Set-up. All stock.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Just thought I'd share my "off the shelf" backcountry gun. It's a Howa Super Lite in .308. Has Talley Lite Weight Scope Mounts and a SWFA Ultralight 2.5 x 10 x 32 scope on it.

I plan on using it for backcountry elk and mule deer hunts. I'm 56 years old and hurt my knee elk hunting 2 years ago. Trying to drop body weight and gear weight to help keep me in the game. Headed out to Wyoming for archery elk in 3 weeks!

Is the bolt smooth? No
Is it the most awesome thing out there? Heck no!
Does it bark (heavy recoil)? Yes - a little bit. But nothing I can't handle (says the guy who shot a 300 Weatherby for everything up
until now :)
Will it do what I need it to do? I think so! All I need is for it to stay zeroed under normal backcountry hunting conditions and fire one or two times.

Again - don't claim this is the most awesome rig on the market - but for about $1400 total, I thought someone might appreciate the post. Factory ammo I'm getting 1.5" groups. I'll do some reloading soon and see how much better I can get it. I suspect I'll get around 1" groups, but time will tell.

Attachments

• backcountry rig.jpg
    backcountry rig.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 791

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I like it a lot! How do you like the scope? I need another light weight scope for a rifle I’m working on. Leupold doesn’t have their Ultralight series anymore. Thanks. -Rufus

I hear you. There are some very lightweight and effective options out there right off the shelf. Years ago I picked up a RAR Compact for $400. Scoped and loaded, it's 6.6 lbs. I had taken it with me for a blitz style caribou hunt but I ended up taking a grizzly bear with it when I was (un)lucky enough to have him wander into my camp.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I like it a lot! How do you like the scope? I need another light weight scope for a rifle I’m working on. Leupold doesn’t have their Ultralight series anymore. Thanks. -Rufus
I've seen some guys on line complain that it doesn't have enough eye relief, but I haven't had any issues with that at all. I like it a lot! It's not something I'd put on an antelope plains gun, but for backcountry backpack hunting its about perfect if you ask me.

I have the Weatherby backcountry 2.0 with steel action and a leupold 1-5 vx5 in sk rings. It is exactly six lbs. with sling. A bit more money than your rig, but I have been very pleased with it, and it is now my main hunting rifle. Very well balanced, a pleasure to carry and shoot.

Revoa4

FNG
Leupold VX-3HD tipping the scales at 13oz. Fantastic scope! Model 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL

Eleven

FNG
I hear you. There are some very lightweight and effective options out there right off the shelf. Years ago I picked up a RAR Compact for $400. Scoped and loaded, it's 6.6 lbs. I had taken it with me for a blitz style caribou hunt but I ended up taking a grizzly bear with it when I was (un)lucky enough to have him wander into my camp.
Just seeing this…. By RAR do you mean a Ruger American Ranch? I’m hunting with one this season and LOVE it. what caliber and load did you take the grizz with? Pix if you have them, please.

Just seeing this…. By RAR do you mean a Ruger American Ranch? I’m hunting with one this season and LOVE it. what caliber and load did you take the grizz with? Pix if you have them, please.
It’s an older variation of the Ruger American rifle, ‘compact’, not a ranch. Not sure if they make it still or not. It’s a 308 win and 18” barrel shooting 130gr ttsx with near Barnes’ max load of TAC. Probably around 2900-3000 fps. My only gripe is the tiny buttstock footprint. Understandably it was made for smaller shooters but I’m not sure it would feel any better on a smaller shoulder. I’ve since replaced this role with a cut down and threaded Tikka.

image.jpg

yfarm

WKR
I have 2 RA compacts, both all weather stainless left hand, one 308, one 243. Replaced the compact stocks after trying slip on pads to increase the lop. Bought regular size RA stocks off ebay, one is a predator stock, work fine on the compacts. Predator stock came with 2 450 mags which function well with the 243 and 308 rounds. Both shoot well.

Nice set up, let us know how it works out.
I've been looking at the Howas for a few years now but keep going back to tried and true Tikkas.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Man that's an impressively lightweight rig, I'm hopping to get my Howa Mini to a similar weight if not a little lighter eventually