MT - backcountry rifle

MTHokie

FNG
Looking to hunt Backcountry rifle next season. I've done a couple backcountry hunts in the Bob Marshall, and I enjoy the Bob, but the elk numbers there are dismal. Is the Absaroka huntable via a DIY backpack hunt? I would be expecting to hump it 10-12 miles in. Realistic? Thanks for any pointers.

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
Right, it is a no-go in snow. I would be hunting early September.

6.5x284

WKR
No way I would without horses lined up to pack it out. There is about 20 horse trailers at the trailhead before the opener. I’ve seen stud bulls sheep hunting and wouldn’t even think about dumping one down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
Also, I am not solo. I would be hunting with 1, possibly 2 others.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
There is a reason it's a backcountry hunt. Elk numbers are dismal in there. But you could go on a wolf hunt instead and carry and elk tag with you, just in case.

Excellent question.

I love these "I'm going to backpack into the _____ Wilderness for a hunt" threads. They're always great entertainment.
Amen to this. This thread is unit specific and shouldn't exist at all, but for entertainment purposes I'm fine with it.
OP, you should pack a couple elk out first, and independently pack in there during the summer. Packing an elk 12 miles is a job for 4 guys or pack stock.

hunterjmj

WKR
Maybe an early wilderness deer hunt would be more suited for for those distances. Do you have much experience packing an elk out?

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
Maybe an early wilderness deer hunt would be more suited for for those distances. Do you have much experience packing an elk out?
You maybe right. "Much experience" is relative. I have packed out four elk, all 4-6 miles back, all deboned in the field, all with a buddy. Quite a few guys on here have packed out triple that many (or more). I don't think the question was unreasonable, unless it was against the posting rules. Debone and bag, hang up in the shade and make two trips. Cooler with ice at the trailhead.

hunterjmj

WKR
You maybe right. "Much experience" is relative. I have packed out four elk, all 4-6 miles back, all deboned in the field, all with a buddy. Quite a few guys on here have packed out triple that many (or more). I don't think the question was unreasonable, unless it was against the posting rules. Debone and bag, hang up in the shade and make two trips. Cooler with ice at the trailhead.
I've packed a bunch of elk over the years and the furthest was almost 4 miles. It was just me so I packed a quarter a day ( I had a whole week). It was brutal but I don't like to debone if I can help it. I can't imagine packing an elk out from 12 miles.