Lightweight thermos

CMF

WKR
What is the Lightest thermos you've come across? Or best way to keep coffee hot and still keep moving?
The Yeti hotshot is awesome, but it's not very light.
I'm not looking for something to make the cut on a sheep hunt or super deep backcountry hunt, but sometimes day hunting, scouting, spike camping or even when I'm hunting with the kids and I don't mind running a little heavier it would be nice to make coffee before dark and throw in the pack for mid morning while glassing, etc.

1707772181870.png

Pdzoller

WKR
GSI is my go to. They have a cool little filter that fits in their bottles too. I use it for infusing a little mint and other things in my water after I’ve drank the coffee.

rcb2000

WKR
What is the Lightest thermos you've come across? Or best way to keep coffee hot and still keep moving?
The Yeti hotshot is awesome, but it's not very light.
I'm not looking for something to make the cut on a sheep hunt or super deep backcountry hunt, but sometimes day hunting, scouting, spike camping or even when I'm hunting with the kids and I don't mind running a little heavier it would be nice to make coffee before dark and throw in the pack for mid morning while glassing, etc.

View attachment 672575
Stop all the research,, stop reading the comments.
Go buy a Zojirushi 20 oz,, come back and reply to this thread after and you can thank me.

rcb2000

WKR
This was the response on another forum when I recommended the Zojirushi

"
Ok so this thing showed up yesterday. I didn’t open it until this morning. Right off the bat I was happy because it was taller than I expected which is good because that means it’s thin enough to fit in any cup holder made. I’ve never understood why cup holders in vehicles are not a uniform size, but that’s a gripe for another time.

0830 I fill it with hot coffee.
0831 it’s still hot. Not impressed.
0900 it’s still hot. Ok.
0930 it’s still hot. Big whoop.
1000 it’s still hot. Good.
1030 it’s still hot. Nice.
1100 it might be getting hotter......
1130 still scalding hot. I’m digging this.

Further updates to come.

ETA: I’m drinking straight out of the device and not pouring into a cup so this may take awhile because the contents are still scalding....

1200 it’s still hot.
1227 it’s still reallly hot......

1310 finally getting to a manageable temp, but still very hot.....

1330.....yeah....still hot. Real hot.

1400 still too hot for more than a sip......

1430 yes. Hot.

1500 less fear invoking heat, but still very hot. Gulping not advisable at this point.

1530 no one who likes their coffee HOT would complain about this temp.

1600 finally, more than a sip is possible.

1752 just got off the tractor. Still hot. Not warm. Hot. As in take a full swallow and you gonna wish you hadn’t kinda hot. I’m impressed.

1812 perfect coffee drinking temp if you like your coffee hot. 20oz to start with and there’s still a quarter of that left.

The moral of this story is this thing will make a GREAT thermos if you know it’s going to be a while before you’re going to get to it’s contents. Now if you plan on using it as a travel mug then you have 2 options. The first, make sure your coffee is at a temperature you can handle when you fill the mug. The other option is lid management. Obviously, all of the above is opening the lid, taking a drink and then closing the lid. For a commute I recommend leaving the lid open until the coffee reaches a temp that you want to maintain."

I would HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone.

Kudos to bacondude for bringing this thing to my attention
emoji1420.png

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I have used a Thermos brand flip top for years. Keeps me in the blind or tree to have hot coffee. They can be hard to find however Mills Fleet Farm has the Thermos one. Just saw this the other day, I am going to pick up and try:
I've used the thermos brand ones before. I've had the lid break and almost lost the gaskets on several occasions. I haven't tried the stanley yet.
I do have the yeti in post picture and it's great for whitetail hunting, just looking for something a lighter.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Gsi is what I use also
The GSI are our go-to mugs for the backcountry, but I'm looking for something I can seal off and stick in my pack. I did use the gsi this year with the lid closed and I just carried it up to my glassing spot, but I don't feel the lid is secure enough to stick it in my pack with liquids in it.

rcb2000

WKR
What's the weight on this ?
Lighter than anything you could find out there for 1/4 of the performance. Trust me on this one..

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 5.56.02 PM.png

Pdzoller

WKR
This was the response on another forum when I recommended the Zojirushi

"
Ok so this thing showed up yesterday. I didn’t open it until this morning. Right off the bat I was happy because it was taller than I expected which is good because that means it’s thin enough to fit in any cup holder made. I’ve never understood why cup holders in vehicles are not a uniform size, but that’s a gripe for another time.

0830 I fill it with hot coffee.
0831 it’s still hot. Not impressed.
0900 it’s still hot. Ok.
0930 it’s still hot. Big whoop.
1000 it’s still hot. Good.
1030 it’s still hot. Nice.
1100 it might be getting hotter......
1130 still scalding hot. I’m digging this.

Further updates to come.

ETA: I’m drinking straight out of the device and not pouring into a cup so this may take awhile because the contents are still scalding....

1200 it’s still hot.
1227 it’s still reallly hot......

1310 finally getting to a manageable temp, but still very hot.....

1330.....yeah....still hot. Real hot.

1400 still too hot for more than a sip......

1430 yes. Hot.

1500 less fear invoking heat, but still very hot. Gulping not advisable at this point.

1530 no one who likes their coffee HOT would complain about this temp.

1600 finally, more than a sip is possible.

1752 just got off the tractor. Still hot. Not warm. Hot. As in take a full swallow and you gonna wish you hadn’t kinda hot. I’m impressed.

1812 perfect coffee drinking temp if you like your coffee hot. 20oz to start with and there’s still a quarter of that left.

The moral of this story is this thing will make a GREAT thermos if you know it’s going to be a while before you’re going to get to it’s contents. Now if you plan on using it as a travel mug then you have 2 options. The first, make sure your coffee is at a temperature you can handle when you fill the mug. The other option is lid management. Obviously, all of the above is opening the lid, taking a drink and then closing the lid. For a commute I recommend leaving the lid open until the coffee reaches a temp that you want to maintain."

I would HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone.

Kudos to bacondude for bringing this thing to my attention
emoji1420.png
Great… another thing I have to try. My wife already thinks I have a problem.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two GSI Microlites- 350 ml 7 oz, 500 ml 8 oz- they work

I use the 350 ml one for soup on cold days; nice to have hot soup with your sandwich :D

j3r3NqA.jpg

Another vote for the Zoji. They also lock and do not leak, so you can toss it in your pack while hiking without worrying about it spilling.